Northern Lite ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Northern Lite ?

I have been a posting member of the fiberglass RV form for some time and have had an interest in the fiberglass design in travel trailers yet have never been inside one. That all changed on my last camping trip. I got to tour a fiberglass truck camper by "Northern Lite"....it had the best quality I have ever seen in any RV!! The quality of the woodwork and cabinets was top shelf! The lay out in these normally cramped truck insert campers was outstanding and looked to be perfect for anyone traveling alone or as a couple. The owners (a couple from Connecticut) had selected it over a 5th wheel because it was perfect for their style of camping (no hook-up state parks and boondocking). They are heading to Alaska next spring and feel the 4X4 truck with this very comfortable camper insert would be perfect. I was impressed by the luxury appointments and the amazing fresh water capacity and full featured interior. Bath with shower, fully appointed kitchen, 3 burner cook top, oven, microwave etc. I checked their web site hoping to find a Travel trailer but alas they do not make them. I did however discover that their list of standard features included just about any and all options anyone would want including solar power. The folks had a Honda 2000 watt generator and were looking forward to their Alaskan Adventure!
Unlike most of the Fiberglass Travel Trailer Manufactureres the folks at Northern Lite have a network of dealers in the USA...found one in New Hampshire with a quick internet search....but....sadly....no Travel Trailers by this quality maker!

Happy Camper!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
They did make trailers for a few years and yes people really liked them. Only thing was they didn't have showers just toilet.
Here is one for sale with a pop out but some are all solid
1996 Northern Lite Trailer | Abbotsford, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Update on the factory if interested
Northern Lite Resumes Production
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've always liked the idea of an all in one camper.and a truck camper seems a logical choice. They seem very efficient and I like that you can replace the truck while retaining the camper. Bigfoot and Northern Lite would be on top of my list. Unfortunately they all seem to be quite heavy, requiring a larger truck than I care to own. I could not put my Trillium in the back bed of my Frontier, but I can pull it with ease, so that's the solution I settled on. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You won't be driving around St. Louis sightseeing with a truck and camper.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I looked at the Northern Lights a few years ago, in NH as a matter of fact. We really liked it and would have gone that route if I had wanted to drive around an f350 longbed. As I didn't want the F350 as a daily driver I kept looking. When Escape came out with the 5.0TA I could have my cake and eat it too. Very similar quality and layout, a little bigger and cheaper, and I can tote it around with a 1/2 ton.

I've seen a number of truck campers in somewhat regular parking spaces so they could be used to run around St. Louis, no worse then running around with an F350.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Since they made new molds, it sounds as if they lost the old ones in the fire. So the trailer mold is probably gone.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
From time to time, I see them come up on Fiberglass RV 4 Sale, if you go to this link and type in "Northern Lite" in the google search square, it will bring up a list of ones that have been sold there with photos: Other Molded Fiberglass Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale I was impressed by them but they just aren't quite big enough and usually too far from our location to see them. I have seen the truck campers from the outside at campgrounds and they look SOLID. Glad to see some of the RV manufacturers that were on "break" bouncing back and families getting into camping.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

North Carolina
The primary reason I posted about Northern-Lite was the quality of the build.
The interior appointments, cabinet quality, kitchen area equipment, bathroom even small was very well done. If the day ever comes that I give up my Toyota
FJ Cruiser I would try to find an Escape 5.0 in a 5th wheel format if they have the same level of quality build...again...it is all but impossible to stop in a RV Dealers lot and view this product in the USA....the lack of a complete dealer/service network is very disappointing!

My final motivation to move to a fiberglass RV will be when it comes time to trade in my current R-Vision TT and also trade off the FJ and get a Tundra pick-up truck....avoiding that expense in retirement for a while!

Happy Camping!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
.... If the day ever comes that I give up my Toyota FJ Cruiser I would try to find an Escape 5.0 in a 5th wheel format if they have the same level of quality build...again...it is all but impossible to stop in a RV Dealers lot and view this product in the USA....the lack of a complete dealer/service network is very disappointing!
Those of us that own an Escape trailer like the fact there's no dealer network. No dealer would ever give you the customer service you get by talking only with the manufacturer, AND ETI is building trailers as fast as they can for people who already want them, not for trailers sitting on a lot waiting for someone to come by and look.

However, ETI has a terrific referral program. Contact ETI and see if there's any owners in your area: Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia

In the all molded towable world, I think the only manufacturer using a dealer network is Bigfoot. But I think most (if not all) sticky builders use dealers. Does that tell you anything?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A fan of fiberglass but..

I'm obviously a fan of fiberglass trailers, and trailers in general. We find in our travels that the trailer is stationary more than it's moving because we're mostly out exploring with our tow vehicle. Hence we look for a comfortable, reliable, fuel efficient tow vehicle.

I know you can leave the camper part of the truck camper behind but it's rarely done.

The truck camper has many advantages for distant travel, particularly to places that require ferry travel where they typically charge by the foot. To me that's the only benefit. Generally I dislike the top heavy nature of truck campers and Ginny dislikes the many steps up to get in, literally more of a pain as you get older.

I have noticed that truck campers are getting larger and heavier even no including slideouts. All this implies bigger, heavier and more expensive tow vehicles.

One stated but not really obvious fiberglass trailer factor is their inherent long life. This is often missed because virtually everything we buy has a short life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #12

North Carolina
Donna D. Thank you for the Escape info.

Norm & Ginny, I agree about truck campers...most require a F350 class truck and that means lower MPG and removing them is a big hassle (that from a Northern-Lite owner).

Ultra-Lite travel trailers are the answer and I already own a big one. Because of that I like the larger size and appointments. I have yet to see any TT with a bathroom big enough for me....most do not have enough room inside to even change your mind LOL. To date the larger Escape models seem large enough but the bathrooms are very small.....mobility has its price!

Happy Camping!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I have yet to see any TT with a bathroom big enough for me....most do not have enough room inside to even change your mind LOL. To date the larger Escape models seem large enough but the bathrooms are very small.....mobility has its price!
You're right about that But, remember for every inch put into a bathroom it has to come from someplace else. I'd rather have more/bigger cabinets and storage area, bigger bed, etc. As long as the bathroom is big enough so I can take care of business and take a shower to get clean, it's plenty big enough. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Took us a while, but we're now used to the bath in the Escape. Coming from a standard travel trailer with a dry bath it was one of our biggest trade offs. Being 6'2" and 215 lbs, there's some elbow knocking, but it works. I stand outside the bath to shave and such. As Donna mentioned, we'd rather have the room elsewhere, although that wasn't always how we thought.

If I remember correctly, the bath in the Northern-lite 10-2 felt bigger then the Escape.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:50 PM   #15

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
The primary reason I posted about Northern-Lite was the quality of the build.
The interior appointments, cabinet quality, kitchen area equipment, bathroom even small was very well done. If the day ever comes that I give up my Toyota
FJ Cruiser I would try to find an Escape 5.0 in a 5th wheel format if they have the same level of quality build...again...it is all but impossible to stop in a RV Dealers lot and view this product in the USA....the lack of a complete dealer/service network is very disappointing!

My final motivation to move to a fiberglass RV will be when it comes time to trade in my current R-Vision TT and also trade off the FJ and get a Tundra pick-up truck....avoiding that expense in retirement for a while!

Happy Camping!
We currently own a 19 ft Escape . That being said have owned 2 campers 1 9 ft and a 9 1/2 . We have seen the Northern lite camper here and we're very very impressed . It had to be the nicest camper we have ever seen . Liked many features of campers so easy to take off to go camping , less cost with insurance , tags etc. more storage and better water capacity . If someday want to go back to campers this one is at the top of our list . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Cool

Cari and I had the opportunity to tour a NL TT at a Seattle dealership several years ago. It was a nice little trailer!

We really liked spending time in Northern Lite Truck Campers at the various RV shows we visited...and it was #1 on our list for a while, but didn't like the idea of having to get out of the cab to do something as simple as a potty run...then we saw a Sportsmobile van and it was all over. We had our custom rolling bed&bath the next year (2010). Then we pondered the idea of adding a great room to our van... and well... the rest is history : )

Our setup is a bit extreme... we can sleep, potty, shower, cook, relax in either rig. The van is Cari's DD and gets ~15-17mpg fully loaded with two week's of supplies... or ~13-15 when towing (Parkliner also has two week's of supplies). We can live with that since it is so flexible.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern lite