Help Deciding on a Casita or Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello, I'm trying to decide on a travel trailer and am interested in a Scamp or Casita. I need something small with a bathroom for 4.

Which did you like more? Thanks Susan
Susan O'C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Hello, I'm trying to decide on a travel trailer and am interested in a Scamp or Casita. I need something small with a bathroom for 4.

Which did you like more? Thanks Susan
Hey Susan, I'm an Illinois "an" by birth and until 1987 when I moved to Colorado. What part of the state are you in?

Anyway, I have my second Casita and seriously feel that the Casita is far better in construction that the Scamp. (Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings) For one thing, the Casita is 100% Fiberglass top and bottom where the Scamp has a Plywood floor. It wouldn't be a mistake to get either, in my opinion, but I'd go for the Casita if you have a choice. If you are buying new, then the Escape is where I'd look first because I think they are the best of the lot and best bang for the buck at this point.

My other comment is about "room for 4". That depends on age / size of all. I will yield to folks who have kids for comments about that aspect.

Regards,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Susan, it really wouldn't matter which trailer any of us like, it depends upon your financial situation, needs and wants. Plus the tow rating for your tug to consider too. There's a recent topic on this very discussion. Rather than reiterate the same story, start by clicking here to read: 16 ft scamp vs casita
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
I have owned both, 16' Scamp, and now a 17' sd casita. If you are picking 16' to 16', it's a tie, price would be deciding factor. But the 17' SD is roomier and a little more modern. My vote would then go with the 17' SD. For 4 people, my opinion, too small! For 2 people very practical. We are now faced with a third person, our granddaughter, and I am scrambling to find something bigger.
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I need something [b]small, with a [b]bathroom, for [b]4.
That would eliminate anything 13'. While there are 13' units that sleep 4, and there are 13' units with bathrooms, there aren't any 13' units that have both features in the same trailer.

Casita only makes trailers with front bathrooms. The "Spirit Deluxe" model (either 16' or 17') is available with an optional side "couch" that converts to Bunk Beds so it will sleep 4.

Scamp makes their 16' as both a front bathroom model, and a side bathroom model. Normally with fiberglass interior furniture, to get bunk-beds they would be across the front, with the smaller bathroom on the side across from the entry door. However, they are very accommodating when it comes to building their Custom Deluxe version with wood interior, and I'll bet that you could get a front bathroom Scamp with side bunk-beds if you ordered one of those. That would probably be more expensive, though.

If you're buying used, Then the side Bathroom 16' Scamps are more common.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to ddayton
A point not touched upon here is the features – for this discussion let’s use the Casita 16’ and the Scamp 16’. The base Casita has more features standard and at the same time it is priced higher while the buyer of a new base Scamp will only add optional features that they desire. The buyer of the Scamp can end up with an egg with features customized for their desire, often at a lesser cost than a full-featured Casita.

Now, fast-forward a few years when both eggs are put up for sale. The second buyer is more apt to find the features they want in the Casita than in the Scamp that was ‘customized’ for the first buyer.

Don
ddayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Someone already pointed out that Casita uses the space where their front bunk/gaucho sofa sits to install a bathroom/washroom, cutting the sleeping space to just two cozy sleepers in the dinette, I'd like to make some alternate suggestions.

The first is that you consider setting the kids up with a tent! That way you'd have sleeping space for as many as you have tents for, and kids can bring a friend along, there'll be privacy for two adults (face the tent flaps outward . . . they won't see the trailer rocking), and still have a toilet/privacy space. And, since te tents don't have to serve as your primary shelter they can be smaller, cheaper, easier to put up dome tents that the kids can retreat to to play games with their friends while the adults relax.

Wonderful! Besides, after four hours of "Are we there yet?!!!" do you really want to hear another couple days of "I'm bored!???"

If you want small and do insist on sleeping with the little angels, perhaps a Casita without a privacy room and one of those pop-up tent enclosures designed for a porta-pot erected just outside would do the job? Otherwise I think only Scamp offers the the options you're asking for. If you're willing to move up in size to one of their 5th wheel units (just 19' long, it's actually a 16' trailer with a 5th wheel "loft" added to the front of the trailer) you can sleep six. and the loft area can be used as a comfortable playspace on rainy days when no one's sleeping there.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Amazingly, there is more information on the web on the Burro, which hasn't been made in nine years than there is on the Casita.

http://www.burrotrailers.com/

I take that back! Apparently, Casita has updated their website to actually tell you something about their rigs. Way to go, Casita!

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/index.html

I still like my Trillium:

http://www.trilliumrv.com/

I actually would be interested in finding the differences between the various makes. I understand Scamp has a plywood floor where most of the others have all enclosed fiberglass. Is this true?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Hello, I'm trying to decide on a travel trailer and am interested in a Scamp or Casita. I need something small with [b]a bathroom for 4.
WOW
A bathroom for 4, you must be an intimate family.

In my search for an egg, for various reasons I had put the Casita ahead of the Scamp, but was looking at the Escape 17 as well. I jumped on the Escape 19 when it was announced though. I would look at the Escape offerings as well if you are thinking of buying new, they used are quite hard to come by. Your US dollar works in your favour there, though you would have a bit of a travel to pick it up.

To add to Peter's idea. When we had little kids and traveled with a tent trailer, we would always set up a tent, it was a great playhouse for the kids during the day, and when they went to bed it was our place to play. Much more stable then the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
(face the tent flaps outward . . . they won't see the trailer rocking),

I don't usually camp when the wind is that fierce!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I understand Scamp has a plywood floor where most of the others have all enclosed fiberglass. Is this true?
Current Scamp models have OSB flooring with a resin coating on the underside, older ones probably are plywood. There are advantages and disadvantages for both fully enclosed and plain bottom undersides. In the final analysis I think it comes down to personal aesthetics, not one undercarriage approach being superior to the other.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp