Egg hatched-Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
The day finally arrived and I picked up the Casita on 16 June....before I give my trip report I want to thank everyone who responded to all my questions and my personal emails to you.... I want to give a special thanks to Martin...who walked me through my tow vehicle requirements, WDH and sway bar....Martin is a very patient person; also want to thank Paul he and Terri picked up there Egg in March and I picked their brain on their experience and any advice they had; and Harold Burrows on modifications and the wisdom of doing some.....plus all you that gave me advice on questions I asked via the forum...

I got there(Rice, Texas) early(7AM) so I could be first in line....had my WDH put on and then about a 3 hour briefing and walkthrough by Victor...Jeane got me through all the paper work and was great...she was doing this for Chasity who was out sick....many thanks to Victor and Jeane...while waiting met Jim Blair who was there to get some repair work done and gave me sime GREAT advice and helpful hints...BTW...this is my first experience with a camper...

I finally was able to get started about 1PM ...though a bit nervous about towing...I was very excited about taking it on the road...based on advice from Paul and Terri, I stayed at American RV for 2 nights...as Paul said, Pat, Ray and their son Brian are super folks....Ray took about 45 to walk me through the unhitching and setting up process when I got there and another 45 mintues for the hitching up and preparing to leave process...I did take notes...Brian got the LP tanks done...in fact I had to get another tank from Victor as one was faulty.......I ran all the systems except the black/grey water tanks....my bad..I thought I had to have then almost full to dump them.... Ray told me when I got ready to leave that since they had dump capabilities at each site...I should have opened both tanks and let them run freely.....After my two days there I headed south towards home which is La Vernia, Texas, alittle East Of San Antonio...I took country roads vs Interstate 35...got to Giddings Texas and decided to stay at the South Forty RV park...very nice park...full hookups, free wi-fi(slow)...wooded lots...its a working Longhorn Ranch and they carved a RV park out of a section of the ranch....Recreation building and showers/restrooms are VERY clean...even has a swimming pool...didn't unhook that night, but tested all the stuff again...everything works fine!!!

Got home the next day about 11AM.....took me awhile to back in....a LONG while...even with help....so I will now go out to the school parking lot and practice, practice, practice...

Towing with my Nissan Xterra went well....though I only went between 50-55 MPH...and did NOT have it in OD....I'm sure I'll get more comfortable and push it in OD on the level road....

So...thats about the short of it...just wanted to let all know there is a new "Casita kid" on the block and I'm loving it....planning on going out in a couple of weeks...will do most of my trips in Texas until I feel I've got it under control.....and there are many great places to see in Texas!!

Again thanks to all of you for all the help and advice...and I know I will have a million more questions...so thanking you in advance...hope to see each and every one off you in the near future....Horst
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you on the hatching! Be sure to keep a journal of your travels (and tribulations), put down the best parks (and sites)... and worst you've come across. On those dreary winter nights (does Texas have those?) you can relive the memories. Oh yes, don't forget to take pictures! We'd love to see some
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Welcome to the fold, Horst! We camped our first night in our first Casita at Choke Creek Canyon SP. That must be somewhere near to you... (We're located in central Tx, a few miles northwest of Austin.)

Is it HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? (congrats on your new Casita!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, eggcamper