Parkliner to get new carport this week! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Parkliner to get new carport this week!

Finally! We get our new 12 X 21 carport installed Thursday the 15th. Already got a level crusher run pad down for it. Just in time! Pics soon!

Gotta winterize the egg pretty soon, no more camping this season, too many things going on. Remodeling out master bath this weekend (for instance).

Hope all is well with you folks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:13 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
This is on my list for next year. I was going to do it this year but ran out of steam. I'm thinking about one of those with a metal roof and open sides but know nothing about them. Pictures will be appreciated. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #3

New York
Because our Parkliner is over 8' tall, we got 9' side posts, but it will look something like this I think.

"I think" because I ordered this baby 2-1/2 months ago, understanding it might take up to 3 months to get. I just wanted it before winter hit. We got it from the same folks we bought our 12 X 20 tall barn shed from earlier this year. Local folks, good to deal with (Back Yard Sheds & Gazebos). Then I think the carport is from these folks: Carolina Carports - Homepage

We're putting it a foot or two from the west side of our shed. I've got the shed wired for power, but not hooked up yet (need to rent a trencher before winter). I put a 20 amp circuit in and a 20 amp GFCI outlet on that side of the shed to make it easy to plug the egg in. Pics soon!

This long weekend is consumed with tearing out the master bath (done yesterday) and completely rebuilding it. Whirlpool tub goes in today! Gotta go run some 12/2 wire for it right now.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #4
Raz

Yup, that's exactly what I had in mind. How is it anchored?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:54 AM   #5

New York
Seems to me they use screw in anchors. This baby is 12 gauge too (not 14) to meet local building codes. Whatever it is I bought, it does meet local codes for wind and snow load. I had to get a building permit for it, same as for my shed. Wind and snow, wind and snow Raz. Hard to get away from it in the NE!

Soon as it's in, I'll let you know how they anchored it.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #6

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Here is one I had put in a few years ago. I made sure to order the right length legs for the height of the 19 ft Scamp I had at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1025.jpg  
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 AM   #7

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny in Ohio View Post
Here is one I had put in a few years ago. I made sure to order the right length legs for the height of the 19 ft Scamp I had at the time.
Getting the right length legs is crucial! We hope to take this one with us years down the road when we retire and use it for whatever egg we end up buying. I'm in hopes an Escape 5.0 would fit under it? Even more, I'm hoping we get one!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #8
Raz

Great, looking forward to it. Raz
Old 10-10-2015, 05:26 AM   #9

Ohio
Registry
I have a 16' Scamp now. Plenty of room.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:38 AM   #10

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Anyone else have problems with birds (barn swallows) building nests in these? They make a mess of whatever is under the nest.

A gentleman who showed me his Scamp 16 - and who MAY sell me said Scamp later this year - said that became a problem. He ended up putting partial sides on his to reduce the problem, but he still must regularly clean the bird mess off. Is this something everyone just has to deal with?

When I get my egg, I want to have something like this to keep it in, but not sure my local government will allow them - I hate zoning that goes too far.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

Ohio
Registry
I've had mine three or four years now and this year was the first time I had a bird nest. I'll figure out something to prevent that by next spring.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:07 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Birds like to nest in my pole barn. I've seen a lot of those metal car ports in the southern and western states, not so many in the northeast. Snow load capacity concerns me, especially if I was away for the winter. Haven't seen a collapsed one though.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #13

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Birds like to nest in my pole barn. I've seen a lot of those metal car ports in the southern and western states, not so many in the northeast. Snow load capacity concerns me, especially if I was away for the winter. Haven't seen a collapsed one though.
I've seen some companies offer a vertical option to allow for better snow shedding. The panels are placed so that the ribs run vertically (duh). Allows the snow to slide off easier, so less build-up. They do charge extra for this design, however.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #14
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Anyone else have problems with birds (barn swallows) building nests in these? They make a mess of whatever is under the nest.
An old CD disk suspended by fishing line will keep them at bay if you hang it where they are trying to build the nest. If it can spin freely in the breeze and both sides are shiny it does the trick.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #15

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Frank,

Thanks for starting this thread. We are in the process of planning to downsize and moving to a smaller house that we are using as a rental. Once we move to the smaller house, we will build a garage and get our new to us FG rig. I am interested in storage options. Keep the thoughts and pictures coming.

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
We had problems with local pigeons and chipmunks while building our 'Boler Barn'; but, now that it's closed in that's history. Our local building codes, and home/vehicle insurance, does not warrant portable carports, mainly because of the snow loads. So, we opted for building a 'high' scissor trussed roof on 10 foot walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed 001.JPG  
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #17

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Dave,

NICE! I assume a 10' door. Width of your garage door? Also, overall dimensions of your garage?

Thanks,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Dave,

NICE! I assume a 10' door. Width of your garage door? Also, overall dimensions of your garage?

Thanks,

Dean
Dean;
Our 'Boler Barn' door is 9 ft high by 12 feet wide. Scissor roof trusses give us a clear 11 ft. ceiling. Basic structure is only 16 ft. by 16 ft. (should have opted for at least 16 X 20; but bedrock proved the limiter). It now houses our 13' Boler, as well as our 6X6 ATV comfortably.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Hi Frank,
We got our Carolina Carport the third week of August after ordering it the first week of June.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nest.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	89534

We opted for the vertical roof to deal with the snow load and and went with the 18 x 21 size with 10' side walls to have extra storage for tractor implements. I installed a solar powered light with motion detector so the interior lights up when I walk in but doesn't come on when deer wander past the front. With any kind of luck it will also deter nesting birds.
Two guys installed it in four hours flat. Our ground is hard and rocky so they were not able to install screw anchors. Hopefully the nine, four foot long, rebar rods they pounded in will be sufficient to the task. We had some pretty good breezes/thunderstorms since it went up so I'm comfortable that it isn't going anywhere. I'm glad I won't have to scrape off poor Eggbert's roof all winter long, anymore!

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
To keep birds from nesting in an open rafter horse barn we strung up some cheap garden type netting. Worked and lasted for years.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner