Parkliner to get new carport this week! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Just had mine installed this past June. I love it. I ordered mine with the 12 guage framing, upgraded roof and big enough for, not only my Casita, but some of my vehicles too.
Attached Thumbnails
CARPORT PICS 047.jpg   Regina & chevelle pics 016.jpg  

CARPORT PICS 038.jpg  
Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #22

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I want one of these standard width and length (18X20 I think) but 18" higher. I have not seen one like this around and am afraid they will say it requires special engineering for wind load or something. I hope I can get what I want without spending too much or I will just have to build something from scratch.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've posted mine before but here it is again. (or a link to some pics).

Mine is 12 x 21 with FULL sides. I see many that dont do full sides and alot of sun still hits the tires. Under this carport, my Scamp is also up on jackstands with the tires completely off the ground. That also allows me to walk by and spin them occasionally. FWIW, I added 1 foot to the height of my carport from the standard. This one with the extra height and full sides was about $1200. It's from "Eagle".

The "anchoring" was my biggest concern. They usually just drive useless rebar in the soft ground. (NEVER figured that one out). I went with a suggested method of anchoring- not at the base rail- but actually anchoring on the UPRIGHTS! See the photos and about the middle; you can see one of the 4 angle-iron braces I made. This is not only a strong anchor, but also GREATLY stiffened the carport.

What you're going to find if they dont add enough braces internally, you can easily push the carport from side to side. NOT a good feeling. If you fully enclose one end, that would take that movement out completely. Of course enclosing BOTH ends would make it like a house in rigidity. But I didnt do that.

Good luck and other than a fully enclosed garage, this is my favorite choice of "cover" for a camper.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57657635513489
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #24

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We didn't get sides on ours, as I think it is more likely to capture wind and cause trouble. That may or may not be. Ours is 12 gauge certified and will come in this afternoon while I see 2 docs, one at 1, the other at 3:30. Was in the ER Monday with severe trigeminal neuralgia, only morphine got me pain free. Severe attacks started Sunday, and have been up and down since then. Not able to drive for fear of attacks, and now the drugs I'm on to prevent major ones aren't the kind you want to drive with! Bah. Hope to find out more tomorrow, but will take some pics of our new set up soon as I can. Carport should be here around noon EST.

Enjoy your day folks.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your fears of "full sides" are unfounded if the carport is installed, braced and anchored correctly. And if anyone of the three I just mentioned are missing, it can spell trouble anyway (depending on its location).

I see SO many carports that do not have sides with RV's sitting under them. There's the morning/evening sun glaring down with UV rays eating at decals, rubber seals (windows etc), and more importantly TIRES. I personally do not understand that.

At least you can add the sides later if you want and I would suggest it if the sides of your RV are going to be exposed to the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
We didn't get sides on ours, as I think it is more likely to capture wind and cause trouble.
Frank
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #26

New York
Wait till you see my pics...
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #27

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Holy Moly Frank, I have no idea what that is but it sounds serious. Take care of yourself.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:12 PM   #28

Name: Dave & Karen
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD 17FT
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Your fears of "full sides" are unfounded if the carport is installed, braced and anchored correctly. And if anyone of the three I just mentioned are missing, it can spell trouble anyway (depending on its location).

I see SO many carports that do not have sides with RV's sitting under them. There's the morning/evening sun glaring down with UV rays eating at decals, rubber seals (windows etc), and more importantly TIRES. I personally do not understand that.

At least you can add the sides later if you want and I would suggest it if the sides of your RV are going to be exposed to the sun.
I agree. My 2nd pic above you can see i installed rv tire covers to protect them from the sun. My wheels/tires are new. I kept the original tires/wheels for winter time storage.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:50 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There's one of those shelters near us that the owner put up T-111 plywood sides, it looks almost like a regular garage
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 AM   #30

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Holy Moly Frank, I have no idea what that is but it sounds serious. Take care of yourself.
Here's a hint Pat - it used to be called the "suicide disease."

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #31

New York
Not doing very good this morning, but here ya go. East side faces shed, south side faces house, west side sits down from and faces road and lots of trees. I like Bob's idea on the t-11 on the west side. May do that if I ever get feeling better.

Anchored at all 4 corners by monstrous screw type things.

Gotta run. Pain calls.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Here's a hint Pat - it used to be called the "suicide disease."

Frank
Hi: frank_a... Sorry to hear of your situation. Makes my "Painless migraines" sound like child's play!!! Nice trailer port too.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:00 AM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Thanks for the pictures. That should keep the snow off which is what I'm after. Looks good. Hope you're felling better soon. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #34

New York
Thanks Alf. Loaded up on pain pill, allergy pill, nerve pill (like they give epileptics), and a newly prescribed steroid. Still in pain, not bad, but not fun. Just doesn't stop. Drugs reduce the intensity. I think...

No problem Raz. Heck, I was happy to be able to take a couple pics and post them. Basically these guys built it right on site, but in a way it could be disassembled in the future when we move. I hope I get feeling better soon too!

Thanks,

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #35

New York
I looked it up Frank, sounds like an endless, annoying and painful situation. Is your doctor considering surgery. Hope meds will take care of it. Think about early retirement, get on SS disability before the Medicare rate goes up. I waited too long to get disability for my bad back, now it's just live with it. Shed looks good, now we need a picture with the Parkliner in it. Can you tarp the sides of the shed or is your yard subject to wind.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #36

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I looked it up Frank, sounds like an endless, annoying and painful situation. Is your doctor considering surgery. Hope meds will take care of it. Think about early retirement, get on SS disability before the Medicare rate goes up. I waited too long to get disability for my bad back, now it's just live with it. Shed looks good, now we need a picture with the Parkliner in it. Can you tarp the sides of the shed or is your yard subject to wind.
Yes Bob, doc is considering sending me to the guy best able to deal with the problem, some internationally known doc at Albany meds neurology department who specializes in neurological pain stuff. We'll see how the weekend goes.

I know nothing about SS disability. How does that work. Or who would i even ask?

I'm not a fan of tarps, but the t1t-11idea sounds cool.

Meds finally kicked in enough i can sit quietly & watch TV. Doing okay now.

Thanks.

Frank
Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #37

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Frank,

I had posted earlier that I was really enjoying this thread. We don't own a FG rig yet and are looking to downsize, but that includes building a garage that will house the rig, thus I enjoy looking at storage options. I am also a fan of the Parkliner. I, too, took the time to read about trigeminal neuralgia. Wow, very painful condition. I hope you are able to find short-term and long-term relief from it. I appreciate you taking the time to keep us posted on your Parkliner Carport.

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #38

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
Sorry to hear about the TN Frank, sounds miserable and debilitating. Hope the docs at Albany Med come up with a solution. FYI, if you are under 65, Medicare doesn't kick in until you have been on disability for 2 years unless you are blind or have Lou Gerigs disease.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #39

New York
Frank, from what I understand about SS disability you need to get on it before age 65. It pays more than normal SS. I mention it because from what I read on NBC news a couple days ago that starting next year new SS applicants will have to pay higher Medicare rates. If your condition qualifies you may get on SS early enough to avoid the higher rates. I missed the boat, maybe you can catch it. What I did find though about Social Security is don't take what people tell you as being totally accurate, I set up an appointment to go in and talk to them to get the true info. Wishing you best of luck for a cure.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #40

New York
Quote:
Frank, from what I understand about SS disability you need to get on it before age 65. It pays more than normal SS. I mention it because from what I read on NBC news a couple days ago that starting next year new SS applicants will have to pay higher Medicare rates. If your condition qualifies you may get on SS early enough to avoid the higher rates. I missed the boat, maybe you can catch it. What I did find though about Social Security is don't take what people tell you as being totally accurate, I set up an appointment to go in and talk to them to get the true info. Wishing you best of luck for a cure.
This is if I have to quit work because of it right Bob? I am really hoping I can get back to work Monday. There is plenty of stuff on my desk to deal with, plus I am not ready to retire (at least financially).

Drugs do seem to be helping. I have a personal friend who is a surgeon at one of the big hospitals in Albany and talked with him today about it. He seems to think the cause is probably allergies and encouraged my continued efforts along those lines. My GP is ready to have me see a neurologist of some renown if I can't make it to work Monday. He is not convinced my problem is allergies.

Been a screwy week. It makes me realize how much stuff I get done, even with a day job! Gee!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner