Getting new axle for 1979 scamp- is this estimate a rip off? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Brake controller installation does sound high. But the controller itself is cheap... which means it's a basic time-delay controller. ..
I'm not sure the installation charge is high.. its a lot of work.

But I do think they should be specific about what parts they are using.. they should list the make and model of major items like the brake controller. Otherwise we cannot evaluate. A small markup is fair but they do need to use a good proportional controller.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #22

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
It cost me around $1000 about three years ago. That Included the axle, brakes, shipping, wiring the brakes, installing a brake controller, and converting from weld on to bolt on mounting.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #23

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
The tires are only 2 years old, so we wanted to save that cost if possible...
The new 5 lug rims to accommodate 10 inch brakes might not work with your old tires?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #24

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
JackL, the Dexter 10" brake drum actually will fit behind a 13" rim
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Again if you look at the detailed quote it includes 7 hours labor and in addition a brake controller, etc. But they are quoting much more than just new axle and brakes. They are also adding all the wiring in the tow vehicle. This is different because normally full-sized truck are prewired
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
It cost me around $1000 about three years ago. That Included the axle, brakes, shipping, wiring the brakes, installing a brake controller, and converting from weld on to bolt on mounting.
And where are you located? Doesn't say in profile. Makes a huge difference.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
And no, I shouldn't call anything a rip off...it's been a long day with young children pulling on me while I typed it...shouldn't take that out on the world, though.

Overall curious if the amount of shop time seems reasonable.
In order to install your new axle they not only have to order it they have to put the trailer up and measure the trailer for its new axle for a perfect fit. Thats the most important part and then actually order it and make sure the supplier understands and gets it right and ships it in. That takes an unusually amount of time. Its not like calling Scamp and having the right parts dropped shipped to them. No wasted time figuring out the right part.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I think I read people order the parts from scamp then have them installed

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #29

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Yes, I see 6 if the hours as relating to the trailer itself.

FWIW, scamp did quote me $784 for the axle and brakes plus shippping. So the costs for the axleseeem reasonable, too.

Good thought on the brake controller- we definitely want a better one if we do it.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #30

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
The new 5 lug rims to accommodate 10 inch brakes might not work with your old tires?
They said that they will work, with the set up being quoted.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #31

Missouri
if 2 are the same or close

my opinion get the one scamp uses no mix-ups no problems one should switch out with the other.

why try to reinvent the wheel in this case!! sometimes people can make things so complicated it costs extra money in the long run!!

scamp knows their business

good luck

bob
Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 AM   #32

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
my opinion get the one scamp uses no mix-ups no problems one should switch out with the other.

why try to reinvent the wheel in this case!! sometimes people can make things so complicated it costs extra money in the long run!!

good luck

bob
Scamp wants $784 for the axle itself to get to me. No lugs or rims included. So while I agree that they are the easiest source of something that is right, they are a good $250 more expensive...
Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I would get two other bids: one from another local shop and the other from Scamp to do it in their shop (may not include the vehicle wiring). I realize the distance is probably prohibitive, but it's a good baseline for the other local bids. (On the other hand, a trip to Backus could allow you to have Scamp do other work at the same time.)

For the second local bid, you might see if separating the vehicle work and trailer work helps. Bid the trailer axle replacement at a utility trailer shop and the vehicle wiring at an independent auto mechanic or U-Haul. Even if the price ends up about the same, I'd want someone doing the work for whom it is routine.

One question, though, is how much running around you are willing to do to save a hundred dollars or two.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #34

Missouri
here is something interesting our neighbor bought a nice 5th wheel a Montana I think. it would wear the tires out on one side i told him his axles were mounted wrong no one could fix it so he traded it off.

not saying her shop would do this at all it was just strange is all!

bob
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #35

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've seen some awful work come out of Uhaul shops. One vehicle with a rats nest of wires all put together with scotch lock connectors.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post

good luck

bob
The axle used on a new Scamp is not the same as the one used on the 1978.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I've seen some awful work come out of Uhaul shops. One vehicle with a rats nest of wires all put together with scotch lock connectors.
Good point. They are independent franchises, so I would approach them with same caution as any independent mechanic. Our local U-Haul did good work on two vehicles (and came recommended by a friend), but it's now under new ownership, so all bets are off.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 AM   #38

Missouri
what happened to me

I had a Pontiac on time I took it to a U-Haul knock off and ask him to mount a trailer hitch on it.

all he did was take a cutting torch burn some holes in the bumper support and mounted the hitch I didn't check anything out. later the whole assembly came undone and my boat was sailing down a hill.

the bumper metal was some sort of crushed aluminum or something a breakaway I guess well it was a breakaway.

from then on I did my own hitch mounting! our ford edge was the simpliest thing I have ever seen drop the muffler put the hitch on the bolts remeount exhaust put new nuts on and done no drilling required.

bob
Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #39

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
A tad over $900 for new axle with brakes and 3 new rims and tires for my '79 at Scamp 1.5 years ago. Took 2 installers about 2.5 hrs.
You may want to check on cost to purchase and ship a complete from Scamp and get wheels and tires locally.
To the best of my knowledge the early axels did have to be welded on the curb site frame
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #40

Missouri
looks like

looks like whatever direction you go its pricey but I guess its an investment. I am going to look under mine today just to get an idea what there is under there. p/o told me it has a new axle under it if it has I did good for 5k! it has the tongue extended out 24in also!

no doubt I will know less than when I start but maybe not!!

bob

Tags
axle, scamp