Hello from Blackstone Massachusetts! 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #1

Name: Big John
Trailer: SCAMP
Massachusetts
Hello from Blackstone Massachusetts! 13' Scamp

Hello, Thanks for allowing me into a great group! I recently saved a 1994 13' Scamp from going to the salvage yard. The owner didn't pay his storage fees and the camper was sold at auction for 10 dollars it had 2 flat tires and the inside was written all over by vandals! The person who paid 10 for it thought it was to much work and was going to junk it so I gave him 100 plus 2 nhttp://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=100387&d=1475760241ew tires amother 100 and now I've got a bad @ss little camper! I'm looking forward to bringing it back to 100 % original and get a lot of use out of her! Thanks again have a great day
IF ANYONE IS LOOKING TO DOWNSIZE I WOULD LOVE TO TRADE FOR A 5th WHEEL!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.jpg   IMG_1335.jpg  

IMG_1345.jpg   IMG_2021.jpg  

IMG_1368.jpg   IMG_2023.jpg  

IMG_2030.jpg   IMG_2028.jpg  

BigJohnSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great save, Big John, and welcome to the forum!

It looks amazingly complete and sound. You've made great progress with the clean-up!

My biggest concern is the mold on the headliner and the evidence of moisture inside the trailer. I would check the floor carefully for rot before getting too far into this. I think there is a good chance the headliner can be saved with steam cleaning and treatment with an anti-microbial solution.

Have to say… whoever did this to a Scamp should be drawn and quartered, burned alive, and then kept on bread and water for a year and a day*… LOL…
*from The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
hello from Blackstone, VA! I too have a 13' I renovated. welcome to da club! nice job on your egg.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
From the pics and my old eyes
Are you sure it is a 13' scamp
It looks to me to be a 16' scamp
Either way
Great score

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Massachusetts
13 or 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
From the pics and my old eyes
Are you sure it is a 13' scamp
It looks to me to be a 16' scamp
Either way
Great score

Yes the egg itself is 13 and then a couple feet for the tongue.. I would love to find someone who would trade with some cash for a 5th wheel! That's my dream!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You should be able to get the writing off the fibreglass pieces inside using a wool bonnet on a power polisher and some 3M Marine compound.

Figure out where the moisture is coming from & seal it up - looks to me that its coming from the roof - escape hatch perhaps or a fan? Take a steam cleaner to the headliner. Its a marine grade headliner so it will surprise you as to how well it will clean up & not retain the smell.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

In the scamp trailer world then this would be a 16ft

Old 10-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Massachusetts
Mold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Great save, Big John, and welcome to the forum!

It looks amazingly complete and sound. You've made great progress with the clean-up!

My biggest concern is the mold on the headliner and the evidence of moisture inside the trailer. I would check the floor carefully for rot before getting too far into this. I still think there is a good chance the headliner can be saved with steam cleaning and treatment with an anti-microbial solution.

Have to say… whoever did this to a Scamp should be drawn and quartered, burned alive, and then kept on bread and water for a year and a day*… LOL…
*from The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
Hello, The area's you see are area's I cleaned up with a solvent because kids has written ALL over the whole inside. I am thinking of taking the liner completely down and either leave it gone or put something else up in its place.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Hi Alan..

Quote:

I was told it was a 13 Foot but you people all know better then me. I was able to pull the vin number from all the paint that was on the tongue and about the Vin# was 16-94 Would that be 16 foot trailer year 94 ? Thanks for all the help
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's clearly a 13'er. The entire galley is street side and immediately abutted by the dinette on one end and bunks on the other. The camera angle on the street side photo makes it look longer, but the curbside photo is clearly of a 13' Scamp. In molded fiberglass parlance, that's a 10' cabin on a 13' frame tongue-to-bumper.

John, I would make a serious effort to save the headliner before trashing it. It serves a number of important functions- condensation, light, and sound control as well as insulation- and replacing it requires taking out all the windows and interior cabinets. As Carol says, the headliner is marine grade and made of non-porous material, so mold and odors are on the surface only. Many people have been surprised at how nicely it cleans up. Bubbles and loose spots can be re-glued.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would love to find one for that price even if it was in that condition.
SCORE
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:

While the OP's measurements would suggest that, the interior layout and one of the outside photos has me scratching my head still. The interior layout sure looks like a 13'

A photo of the inside on the opposite side from the sink & stove might help to convince me its a 16'
Old 10-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #13

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
While the OP's measurements would suggest that, the interior layout and one of the outside photos has me scratching my head still. The interior layout sure looks like a 13'

A photo of the inside on the opposite side from the sink & stove might help to convince me its a 16'
Hi
thanks for the info, I haven't been able to find an answer to the numbers on the trailer tongue. I have these numbers 16-93 that's the first row. The second row is the 16 digit Vin and according to what I could find the letter is and R which makes the trailer a 1994 What is the significance of the top line 16-93 ?? Thanks Big John
Old 10-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnSr View Post
Hi
thanks for the info, I haven't been able to find an answer to the numbers on the trailer tongue. I have these numbers 16-93 that's the first row. The second row is the 16 digit Vin and according to what I could find the letter is and R which makes the trailer a 1994 What is the significance of the top line 16-93 ?? Thanks Big John
I do not know what the 16-93 stands for but my guess might be it was built the 16 th week of 1993. You could always call Scamp and ask. Thats the nice part of owing a trailer still being made.

As I said looking at the gallery layout I think its actually a 13' but if you post some more photos of the other side of the inside of the trailer - that would tell the story.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

Registry
Here is a picture of the standard layout of a Scamp 13'
Attached Thumbnails
floor_plan_13layout1_small.png  
Old 10-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Hello, Thank you for the info. I was curious as to what I should us to re glue those area's of the liner that are coming down? Also was wondering if you knew of a product that I could use to clean behind the liner where it has leaked or he glue has dried up and given away. Thank you for any and all of your help.. Also since these pictures I have stripped all the old silicone from the outside of the trailer including around both the escape hatch and the electric fan vent and around the mid section.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Thank you Carol that is my exact layout. I wasn't confused till others state to say It was a 16' I posted a question about the VIN # in another post which was above the 16 digit VIN# there is 4 numbers they read 16-93 then the Vin under them would you know that those 4 letters are? Thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #18

My guess is length & year
16'

Old 10-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Thank you Carol that is my exact layout. I wasn't confused till others state to say It was a 16' I posted a question about the VIN # in another post which was above the 16 digit VIN# there is 4 numbers they read 16-93 then the Vin under them would you know that those 4 letters are? Thanks
If it is a 13' Scamp the first 8 digits of the VIN will read:
1S7R1310.......

There is a Scamp Vin Decoding chart that will help you. [URL="http://scamp.n0kfb.org/VIN_Decoding/VIN-

Position Meaning Decode
1 Country of Origin 1= USA
2 Manufacturer Code S=Scamp
3 Type of Vehicle 7 = trailer (unsure of the meaning of this digit)
4 - 8 Manufacturer Model-specific codes R1310 = 13 foot
R1610 = 16 foot
R5W10 = 19 foot 5th wheel
9 Check Digit See http://home.wxs.nl/~fransang/checkdig.html for explanation
10 Year Code See below
11 Final Assembly Plant 0 = standard plant. 1 = custom wood plant
12 - 17 Sequential Serial Number

Year Code
4 =2004
3 = 2003
2 = 2002
1 = 2001
Y = 2000
X = 1999
W = 1998
V = 1997
T = 1996
S = 1995
R = 1994
P = 1993
N = 1992
M = 1991
L = 1990
Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Hello, Thank you for the info. I was curious as to what I should us to re glue those area's of the liner that are coming down? Also was wondering if you knew of a product that I could use to clean behind the liner where it has leaked or he glue has dried up and given away.
Just use some bleach and water (wear gloves) to wash down the foil insulation.

3M Super 77 spray adhesive is a popular choose for securing the insulation and the rat fur back in place. I have used it on several occasions with good results. Just make sure you spray it on the surfaces and wait a little bit before sticking the surfaces together. Can not recall how long 3M recommends ( 30 secs or a couple of minutes?) so best to read the full instructions for a fail safe application.

Tags
scamp