1 st time using the boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
1 st time using the boler

well after owning my boler for 3 weeks it was time to try it out. weather rained for most of the time but woke up to a sunny morning, amazing the canopy didn't leak. I also used some vintage Coleman products which is my main addiction. on the inside table is a 139 table lamp which provided light and warmth. I camped at Derby Reach in Ft Langley BC on the banks of the Fraser river. Can't wait till next time
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0543.jpg   IMG_0545.jpg  

IMG_0546.jpg   IMG_0550.jpg  

IMG_0551.jpg  
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Very good Jan, you didn't waste any time getting out .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Really cool. Older Coleman stuff is what I use in my Boler
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Very nice Jan. I hope you have a CO detector if you are using your lamp as a heat source.....you wouldn't want to wake up dead. :
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Waking up dead is never a good thing..Looks like it was a good time.
Did you use the light inside the trailer..YIKES
We're heading out for our first years trip to host my Spring Fling in New England rally in just 10 days.
I still need to check things out but I am sure everything will be fine
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #7

British Columbia
CO2 detector is a good idea, I had the windows open for ventilation. If these old lamps are maintained properly they won't set off a detector. Gerry, I rewired the interior and added 4 LED mushroom lights and switches, so if I need light, I have it.Bill we are having a Coleman gathering at Razor State Park in Sept, If your interested please let me know, there are also a couple of other glass trailers that are part of our group
Jan
Old 05-02-2017, 03:48 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Jan Dyke;637912]CO2 detector is a good idea, I had the windows open for ventilation. If these old lamps are maintained properly they won't set off a detector. Gerry, I rewired the interior and added 4 LED mushroom lights and switches, so if I need light, I have it....

Jan; if the detector isn't going off check it to see if it works also I'm surprised that the can of worms didn't open up about the dangers of running open-flame devices inside closed areas.
There are extensive discusions on this site about dangers of CO - CO2 - O-depleations. and detections devices and how to check them to see if they work properly.
Here in Maine, every winter we read of whole families found dead due to CO poisioning.
As I have said and others have taken up the mantra:
Waking up dead isn't a good thing
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #9

British Columbia
thanks Gerry. I will add 1 to my list, are there special versions for RV's?
Jan
Old 05-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
I for one would have no issue burning a Coleman Lamp in the trailer for the following reasons:

1 - They were made to run indoors. They have been and still are for the last 100+ years.
2 - Many older trailers came with gas lamp installed in them including some fiberglass trailers.
3 - The lamp is way less BTU's than the stove in the trailer. Most people don't think twice about running their stove.

That is just my opinion....

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A stove is only used for for short periods, and most people think to provide ventilation while cooking due to steam, odors, heat,... It is easy to forget with something like a gas lamp.

An ordinary battery-powered CO detector is adequate. The trick is finding a place to install it in a small trailer. Not too close to a fuel-burning appliance, mid-low height, good air flow, and not where it will be in the way or get whacked. Know that they have an expiration date on the sensor and don't like temperature extremes (I bring mine inside when the trailer is stored). I would want one if I had any fuel-burning device in the trailer.

I'd have no issue bringing a propane (or white gas) lantern inside the trailer (probably after I light it outside)- under close supervision, with a working CO detector and ventilation, not while sleeping (duh!)... But thanks to the trailer's 12V system, I don't need to!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainjer View Post
I for one would have no issue burning a Coleman Lamp in the trailer for the following reasons:

1 - They were made to run indoors. They have been and still are for the last 100+ years.
2 - Many older trailers came with gas lamp installed in them including some fiberglass trailers.
3 - The lamp is way less BTU's than the stove in the trailer. Most people don't think twice about running their stove.

That is just my opinion....

Jeremy
#1) I'ld have to check on a new Coleman Lantern to see if there is a note on box about "Not for indoor use"

#2) If older trailers worked so good on gas lamps, Why are there none now?

#3) BTU's have nothing to do with CO or CO2. My house took 25,000 BTU's, in the heating system. Glad the BTU dosn't mean CO put into living space
BTU stands for British Thermal Unit

As Jon said, When I cook I always open vent over stove and my furnace vents 100% of the CO out the vent on furnace
Old 05-03-2017, 11:11 PM   #13

British Columbia
lets not let this get out of hand. I think I have enough grey matter between my ears to NOT sit in a tiny enclosed trailer with either the stove going or a lamp burning with out OPENING a window or 2 or for that matter going to sleep with an appliance burning
Jan
Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
lets not let this get out of hand. I think I have enough grey matter between my ears to NOT sit in a tiny enclosed trailer with either the stove going or a lamp burning with out OPENING a window or 2 or for that matter going to sleep with an appliance burning
Jan
That may be, but you are not the only person reading this forum. There may be some with less experience and knowledge. It would be a pity if they followed your example and didn't allow ventilation.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
#1)
#2) If older trailers worked so good on gas lamps, Why are there none now?

You can still buy them new...hhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...oop_bw_c_x_1_w

Jeremy
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:02 AM   #16

It's not the gray matter between the ears...we want everyone to live long enough to have gray hair on top of thier heads

Tags
boler