Removing belly band 13' 1970 boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Removing belly band 13' 1970 boler

Has anyone removed the belly band from thier Boler. I am thinking of fiberglass the inside then cut off belly band and fiberglass outside. To give it a smoothed out look. Info and or ideas appreciated please.
Pgmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I think it would look cool.
I do think the band probably adds some rigidity to the sides.
If you do it make sure you add multiple layers.
Think I would start with say a 4in wide layer at the joint then follow with maybe 6in, 8in. 12in.
That would spread the load over a large area and the interior wall shouldn't get too bulky looking.
After you grind off the band and gel coat close to the band a layer or 2 could go there too
Good luck if you go for it.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I think it would look cool.
I do think the band probably adds some rigidity to the sides.
If you do it make sure you add multiple layers.
Think I would start with say a 4in wide layer at the joint then follow with maybe 6in, 8in. 12in.
That would spread the load over a large area and the interior wall shouldn't get too bulky looking.
After you grind off the band and gel coat close to the band a layer or 2 could go there too
Good luck if you go for it.
Fred
Hi Fred,
I think that the band definitely adds some rigidity to the whole body, a few layers of FG from inside may not function as well as the band.

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

British Columbia
FG to replace band

So after looking at some options for the belly band removal. Here is my thoughts so far. Since I have the entire interior stripped out. I am thinking a nice thick FG "peanut Butter " mixture to fill the slight indent inside the Boler at the band point then at least 4 layers of glass matting on top of that. Once dried an set, remove band and lip and use at least 2 layers of matting on the outside. This seems to be as good as I can get for the structural point of FG. Does this seem good or bad or really just a crap load of overkill.....lol
Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgmopar View Post
So after looking at some options for the belly band removal. Here is my thoughts so far. Since I have the entire interior stripped out. I am thinking a nice thick FG "peanut Butter " mixture to fill the slight indent inside the Boler at the band point then at least 4 layers of glass matting on top of that. Once dried an set, remove band and lip and use at least 2 layers of matting on the outside. This seems to be as good as I can get for the structural point of FG. Does this seem good or bad or really just a crap load of overkill.....lol
George, I'm surprised that you haven't received an answer from a few members that have done what you're asking about. Your repair ideas will work fine and be plenty strong. FWIW, I would lay in one strip of thin cloth (inside) before any matting. Post pics of the repair for the rest of us.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
belly band removal

I have removed the belly band on my surfside looks beter .as for the belly band it is held on with 1/8 rivets one half inch long ita is just a garnish moulding .if you do fiberglass it use apoxie in it is 5 times stronger than pollister.also use woven matt also 4 times stronger fixed corvets for years works for me .
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
George, I'm surprised that you haven't received an answer from a few members that have done what you're asking about. Your repair ideas will work fine and be plenty strong. FWIW, I would lay in one strip of thin cloth (inside) before any matting. Post pics of the repair for the rest of us.
Sounds good. I will post up the pics of my process. Ty for input.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
I have removed the belly band on my surfside looks beter .as for the belly band it is held on with 1/8 rivets one half inch long ita is just a garnish moulding .if you do fiberglass it use apoxie in it is 5 times stronger than pollister.also use woven matt also 4 times stronger fixed corvets for years works for me .
Perfect. Ty
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #9

British Columbia
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170510_193139.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	105915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170510_193337.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	105916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170510_203321.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	105917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170510_203328.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	105918

First fill of peanut butter in the seam. Now to wait 24hrs then sand and see where I am at.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Looking good George. I don't know the layout of your TT but had a couple thoughts for you. Depending where any cabinets or such may cross your repair area, the new FG build up may cause a problem with the wall fit. If so, they could be trimmed to fit but it would be a lot easier to only use one layer of mat behind those areas over your butter fill. No extra work that way . One other thing to consider now that you have raw walls. A number of folks have glassed in wood blocking for a good attachment point for shelves, cabinets and such.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

British Columbia
Good idea. Ty
Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgmopar View Post
Attachment 105915Attachment 105916Attachment 105917Attachment 105918

First fill of peanut butter in the seam. Now to wait 24hrs then sand and see where I am at.
Does not seem like a big change from yesterday. But there is a second coat of peanut butter on the seam. 24 more hours and resanded smooth. Then 1/8" plywood strip will be installed for strength. Then that will get fiberglass over that. Two layers. Then we can cut the outside belly band off. So with dry time. Mid to end of next week the band will be off.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170511_212538.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	105935
Old 05-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #13

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Looking!
Minnesota
I have wondered about doing the same as you. I can do glasswork just well; however, I haven't yet obtained an egg to work on. I like the style of the Burros, but that seam needs to be shaved!
adlorin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, vin