Scamp Korea - Tarp Awning?! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Steph
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Registry
Scamp Korea - Tarp Awning?!

I did some digging around on the internets and stumbled upon Scamp Korea. First of all, I had no clue. How does this work? Are they licensing the design and making their own parts or just shipping them in? Anyway, looking around their site was a real treat (scampkorea.com). The tow vehicles are adorable and they have the cutest marketing photos.

So, all this, while interesting, is not the main purpose for posting. No, my purpose is the AWESOME Scamp branded tarp/awing they offer:

(Note: This link looks crazy but it works)
스*프,룩카*트*일러 공식수입사 - 스*프코리아

Looks like it slips into a track on the "permanent" mounted awning then you can use poles and lines with stakes from there to hold it up. Does anyone know of anything like this in the US? Even if I could figure out how to order it and have it shipped to me it's still nearly $500 before international shipping.

I may get brave and try to recreate it with a regular camping tarp structure...we'll see.
StephLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Idaho
What a beautiful design! I would be interested if you have one shipped or if you make your own. I have done some sail making in the past, but figuring out the hardware and resources are a little trickier.

Never knew there was a Scampkorea!
PilotPica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #3

Texas
Registry
I'll keep you posted! My mother-in-law used to full-time on a sail boat and has made sails. I'll definitely enlist her help if I give it a go.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
I saw one of these at the fiberglassrv rally in King City, CA a few weeks ago. It looked great and I was told that unlike the typical canopies, these resist the wind better. It was windy there and I had a typical canopy and it was blowing all over and I had to tie it down and my camp neighbor lend me their cinder block. The one I saw was free standing and was holding up well to the wind.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #5

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
That is simply a hammock canopy. 12 feet across I would guess. One end anchored to end of awning mount, the other supported by tent pole.

This should completely do the trick

https://www.backcountry.com/msr-rend...g-shelter?rr=t

20% off right now
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
wow and look at the amount of shade that it creates!

Click image for larger version

Name:	900.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	106261
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Randy---it isn't exactly the same as what your link shows. The Scamp awning is able to slide into the tracking on the trailer, allowing it to better protect the door side from rain. If I had a choice, I'd order the Scamp one...that is, if I didn't decide to fashion my own, which looks to be within my sewing skill level.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #8

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Thanks, I'd missed the attachment of it along the long flat side. My phone didn't load all the photos the first time.

Be sure to post pictures if you get it done.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Same Korean company with a different item connected to Fiamma awning.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Same Korean company with a different item connected to Fiamma awning.
I love that high-speed hammer!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #11

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Tarp thoughts

Nice design. Some observations from some of my interesting experiences:
1. A translucent tarp lets a lot of light and heat through, greenhouse effect.
2. That design has a lot of acreage of guy lines for people to trip on and "clothesline" themselves. In a crowded camping area(Burning Man, etc.) this can be problematic. At least tie ropelight on the lines at night.
3. Parachute effect in stormy weather. All the edges should be angled down in windy weather so wind has a harder time getting under it, turning it into a kite. Better yet, if a storm comes up, take it down, or at least remove the pole(s) and tie it down.
4. Rain: Make sure there are no low spots for water to pool up.
5. If you do want to try this, something like the Kelty "Noah 9" catenary tarp is around $50. I've used the largest one for years. You could drape one end over the trailer and have full coverage.
6. Whatever awning you use, use light string, at least a small loop of it, for tying down. When a storm comes up, something has to give. You can use a strong rope and come back to find your tarp ripped to pieces, or a breakable string will give way and the tarp will fall down without damage, waiting for a new piece of string. This method is called using a "mechanical fuse". I've done this and come back to camp after a windstorm, put my tarp back up while my neighbors were rolling up the ruins of their shade structure.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I love that high-speed hammer!
Yes, and the whole setup takes 1 minute and 55 seconds, wow!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
So Scamp actually may have "dealers" (kidding). Interesting post. Appears this (Dioko USA, Anaheim, CA) is an import/export agency for Scamp trailers to Korea. They also sell (import?) Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and Toyota pickups. I'm no expert, but the web site seems to have a U.S. domain address, not Korean. It might be a U.S. business serving a Korean clientele in the U.S. However the phone area code does not appear to be U.S. Visit the sites' other pages, and the titles flip between English and Korean. I would guess this primarily Korean business imports authentic Scamp and other trailers. Appear to be authentic Scamps in pics, with prices quoted. Appears they import those for resale, and offer several stick-built non-Scamp, "Scamps" as well (Food trailer, Cargo trailer). They also offer a larger non-Scamp travel trailer.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #14

Texas
Registry
Nice! Thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #15

Texas
Registry
Awesome. I'll have to get both. (ha!)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #16

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
Nice design. Some observations from some of my interesting experiences:
1. A translucent tarp lets a lot of light and heat through, greenhouse effect.
2. That design has a lot of acreage of guy lines for people to trip on and "clothesline" themselves. In a crowded camping area(Burning Man, etc.) this can be problematic. At least tie ropelight on the lines at night.
3. Parachute effect in stormy weather. All the edges should be angled down in windy weather so wind has a harder time getting under it, turning it into a kite. Better yet, if a storm comes up, take it down, or at least remove the pole(s) and tie it down.
4. Rain: Make sure there are no low spots for water to pool up.
5. If you do want to try this, something like the Kelty "Noah 9" catenary tarp is around $50. I've used the largest one for years. You could drape one end over the trailer and have full coverage.
6. Whatever awning you use, use light string, at least a small loop of it, for tying down. When a storm comes up, something has to give. You can use a strong rope and come back to find your tarp ripped to pieces, or a breakable string will give way and the tarp will fall down without damage, waiting for a new piece of string. This method is called using a "mechanical fuse". I've done this and come back to camp after a windstorm, put my tarp back up while my neighbors were rolling up the ruins of their shade structure.
Great insights. Thank you! We currently have a Coleman Point Loma dome structure (Coleman Canopies | Dome Tents | Coleman). It has been awesome but after 3 years and lots and lots of Texas sun the shade ripped in half as I was disassembling it on the beach last weekend. That sucker does great in the wind though (when assembled). I had some sandbags on each leg to help but it held up beautifully against the ocean breezes. RIP (pun intended).

Tags
awning, scamp