Parts for 1984 Fiber Stream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1984
Parts for 1984 Fiber Stream

I have a 1984 Fiber Stream (Model# T16 I believe) and I no absolutley nothing about it. I know that there are a few things that need to be replaced such as water tank and propane tanks. I cannot find anything online on this unit so I was hoping someone could tell me if I could still find the original replacement parts or can I just buy new items. If anyone knows any specific details on this unit I would greatly appreciate it.
dlnstidham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 06:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Welcome! Another Fiber Stream owner!

Yours is a "Late" model. Fiber Stream company was in business from 1975 to 1986. I have an earlier (1978) one. The only "Original" parts that were different from other brands, that I can tell, would be the front "Gravel Guard". The metal battery box, while not common to Fiberglass Trailers, I have seen in stick built trailers and motor homes.

The plastic 15 gallon fresh water tank is a common item... Here in San Diego several RV businesses and several Boat businesses carry them.

If your windows need the "Weep Hole Covers", I have an extra supply and would gladly send you as many as you need.

Others will chime in soon... again, Welcome!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Welcome,

You've got one of the latest model Fiber Streams registered here. It great to see the Streamer group grow. If you check out the calendar you will see there is mini-rally in Indiana in May as well as one in North Georgia later that month. It'd be great to see you out and about.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #4

Also, I was told that these units are very lightweight and could be pulled with almost anything. I have a 2004 chevy venture minivan. Could this unit be pulled behind a minivan? This rv was given to me by my parents but they purchased this unit from someone who drove it all the way from California in a minivan but I would feel a little uncertain about doing it myself.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #5

Always check your owner's manual. The tow ratings on the web say that the 2004 V6 Chevy Venture with factory tow package is rated for 3,500 pounds. 3,500 pounds is about average for a minivan. Your trailer, if close to stock, should weigh between 2,000 and 2,500 pounds. In the opinion of many, the dual axles improves trailerability. I think you are within the zone for safe towing. Confirm what the factory tow package consists of if you don't have it. You may require an additional transmission cooler in addition to a trailer brake controller for your minvan.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #6

For anyone with a new to them trailer - WEIGH THAT TRAILER. That's the only way to know for sure if you have adequate safety margins built into your towing ratios.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #7

Are Fiber Stream travel trailers that rare that there is very little info to be made available online? I have spent hours today trying to find any info on these units and I cannot find anything. I can't even find anyone trying to sell them. Other than sentimental do these Fiber Streams have any other value to them?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
As far as I have seen, in this forum and various web searches, the Fiber Stream is the only moulded fiberglass trailer design in which it appears that the entire shell of wall and roof is formed in a single piece, with no seams. While Fiber Stream owners can fill in the practical features of their trailers, and let me know if I am mistaken, this one technical feature stands out to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #9

Considering that the last Fiber Stream was made 20 years ago, I'm not sure what type of info you would expect to find online about them. The Fiber Stream company of Mira Loma, California was in business for 11 years. The company's history is similar to the history of numerous fiberglass trailer manufacturers that are no longer in business. They produced a number of trailers for a short span of time and they aren't there to do it any longer. There are existing trailers still on the road but the parent company is gone. Defunct trailer brands are classified orphans.

What we know about the other orphan trailers comes from the stories of former employees, designers or owners. A while back someone reported speaking to a former Fiber Stream employee who was excited to hear about this MB. He said he might publish some history someday. He never posted here.

DOCUMENTATION
Fiber Stream evaporated just as the Internet started to become a universal resource. Nothing was put on the net by the parent company before it failed. There was never a Fiber Stream Manual. The company printed a one page double sided fact sheet that they distributed to new owners. All other documentation consisted of the manuals for the products incorporated in the trailer. Most fiberglass trailers, regardless of brand, use applicances from the same manufacturers. So whether your trailer is new or old, if your refrigerator breaks you go to the refrig manufacturer for assistance. Likewise for the furnace, hot water heater and so on. If the manufacturer is no longer in business then you consider used, probably from other brands, or new.

I think you will find this board your best resource regarding your trailer. To my knowledge, we are the largest assemblage of diverse orphan fiberglass trailer owners. We are the only assemblage of Fiber Stream owners.

Fiber Stream Locater

A few years ago, a Fiber Stream could be had for less than a thousand dollars. As more people have become aware of them via this site, eBay and the Internet current resales are in the very high $4,000, just shy of $5,000 range. Advertised sale prices have been as high as $7,000 for mint units. Depreciation for this trailer is neglible. New FS sold in the $5,000 range twenty years ago.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:59 PM   #10

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Fiber Stream is the [b]only moulded fiberglass trailer design in which ... the entire shell of wall and roof is formed in a single piece, with no seams.

(let me know if I am mistaken)
One piece shell, slightly larger at the floor than near the roof. Bottom of trailer is plywood floor, coated with an aluminum skin toward the outside and indoor-outdoor carpet toward the inside.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Ken&Chris
I know quite a lot about Fiber Streams and replacement parts etc. Feel free to e-mail me at Cardsmith@aol.com with your questions. I could use a little help myself. Has anyone installed a Fan-tastic fan/vent in the Fiber Stream. I have the old vent out and am waiting for the new one to come in. It looks like the vent has a thickness of about 2 inches. Do you need to shim up the underside? Also did you run the electrical from the side lights or kitchen lights or a whole new line from the electrical box? Is it fused or do I need to put a fuse in the line. Any information on installation would help. Thanks Ken 1979 Fiber Stream
Ken&Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #12

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I could use a little help myself. Has anyone installed a Fan-tastic fan/vent in the Fiber Stream.
See my answer in your other post.

Tags
fiber stream