My Solar Installation in a Lil Snoozy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #41

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Talking Solar installation on your Snoozy...

Brilliant job of it Denny! Your writing/explanation is quite understandable. It looks so very efficient, beautifully done & incredibly helpful!! Thank you!!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #42
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Denny - It sounds like you are well on your way to a Masters degree from both Google U and life school of hard knocks.
I know I got a lot of flack for 400 watts of solar panels that I permanently mounted on the roof of my Casita but I designed it to work in the real world conditions that you described (clouds, sun angle, dirty panels and shade from trees) When I mounted the panel I tried to position them so that I could collect the suns rays from all angles knowing that I wouldn't always be able to position the trailer for optimum collection. At any given time I estimate that I have 200 watts of panel in the sun which seems to be just about right for charging our 2 - T105s in a variety of real world conditions.
We have been cross country 4 times and I am 3+ years into the life of my batteries (I estimate 8+ years life) I have not seen less than low 70% charge and we are heavy electrical users even when dry camping, which we prefer. The only time I check the monitor anymore is when we experience more than 2 days of poor solar collecting. I disconnected the converter in our trailer when I installed the solar so even when we do have 110v hookups all of our 12v comes from the sun (the converter I had was a NG single stage charger)
I know that my setup is not perfect for everyones needs but it works for us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1858.jpg  
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 AM   #43

Name: James M
Trailer: Carefree
Alberta
Thanks for the info, great job. I just started looking into this for something down the line. I was wondering you wrote your panel was lightweight and flexible, why not silicone instead on making a frame?
1975Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #44

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975Carefree View Post
Thanks for the info, great job. I just started looking into this for something down the line. I was wondering you wrote your panel was lightweight and flexible, why not silicone instead on making a frame?

I wanted to have the panel slide out from the roof mounted frame so I could put it in the sun if the trailer was shaded.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #45

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
No flak from me, Larry. I enjoyed meeting you at Hungry Mother SP and was very impressed with your practical approach and willingness to try something different. Your experience with the setup shows that it works.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #46

Michigan
My Solar Installation in a Lil Snoozy

Update a year later: I finally figured out a way to store the aluminum frame used to support the panel when it's positioned on the ground.

It fits under the tongue box and slides onto a piece of 1/4" plywood the same size as the solar panel. A block with two thumb screws keeps it in place.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0205.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	108102Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	108103
Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #47

Florida
Hi there! Looks like another genius McDenny idea!! Hey, what? is the black piece on the tongue? Is that a sort of rock guard? Could you explain that please? Thank you again!! You're a wealth of information always!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #48

Michigan
My Solar Installation in a Lil Snoozy

Hope this helps. The black blob above the silver coupler is a shadow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0205.JPG  
Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #49

Florida
really? That black piece of fabric it looks like, riveted on to the top is where I mean. That~ black "blob"
Old 07-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #50

Michigan
It's sunbrella canvas with snaps to cover the junk in the tongue box.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #51

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Do I recall correctly that you run a D.C. Truckfridge with your system? If so, how is that working out?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #52

Michigan
The TF still works great. Needs defrosting after four or five days though.

If I were doing it over again I'd make sure there was plenty if air flow over the cooling coils on the back and insulate it from the hot water heater which is just about a foot behind the fridge. All in all I'm still very happy with it.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #53

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Your hot water heater is near the fridge? Do you change it or was that where the earlier ones were. Ours is a 14. The heater is under the bed.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:42 PM   #54

Michigan
Ours was built in early 2012. Water heater is right under the sink. Shorter plumbing run to the faucet and less tongue weight.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #55

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Sounds like a good place. They may have moved it for more storage under the sink. I saw where your TF sits on the floor and you built a silverware drawer over it. That is nice work. The factory prepped for my TF. They raised it up off the floor so it may have slightly better ventilation. We usually defrost ours after a 3 week trip.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #56

Oklahoma
David and Denny, a question about VHB tape on a Snoozy. Did you need to 'rough up' the gelcoat to make the tape adhere to the shell?

I have some water getting into the rear door during hard rains, despite the fact that the gasket looks good and the door seems to close tightly on it. I want to look for a 30" long piece of aluminum, or something, to attach overtop the doorway to keep rain away from the door. I think if it extended outward (at a downward angle) for 5 or 6 inches, it might stop the water intrusion. VHB tape sounds like the best way to mount it. But I don't want the piece to fly off on the highway, naturally.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #57

Michigan
I just cleaned the area to be bonded thoroughly with alcohol, as recommended by 3M. Solar panel is still there after two years outdoors and probably 6 or 8000 miles.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #58

Oklahoma
That sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Tags
lil snoozy, solar