Burro 17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Borro
Texas
Burro 17

Hi , I'm new here. I'm excited to be on this forum there is a lot of knowledge and wisdom. I am in the process of fixing her up. This is going to be a challenge....this 1985 burro had carpet glued everywhere and I can't figure out the best way to remove it..Any help would be awesome!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2169.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	105744Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2172.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	105745Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2182.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	105746

ATTACH]105743[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2177.JPG  
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow, that is a shame! All that beautiful gelcoat ruined! Burros had the inner fiberglass so you wouldn't need carpet.

What to do from here... not sure, but I'd guess sand smooth (carefully, the fiberglass is thin) and paint.

Welcome, and best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Texas
I know I really would love to save that gel coat, idk what kind of adhesive they used but it's a pain. Especially the ceiling it's on there thick and my lil Random orbital sander won't cut it...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
If you are careful, a heat fun and a sharp putty knife might work to get the bulk of it off????
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Metal scraper will probably dig into the gel coat. If it's not too late to save it, use a plastic scraper. I would try to find some type of solvent to cut the adhesive if a heat gun won't loosen it. Looks like one of those jobs that will take a lot of time and patience. Similar to when I had to strip layers of paint off our vintage teardrop, inside and out. Took me a few months, little section at a time. EDIT; I used a air powered die grinder with the 2" scotch discs, but they would probably damage the gel coat unless you're real careful.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Texas
Burro 17

I pressure washed it.. its crazy how it will make tht outside look new again! I'm just going to have to take my time sanding it..
Old 05-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoboatn View Post
If you are careful, a heat fun and a sharp putty knife might work to get the bulk of it off????
Thank you for the advice! Scboatn
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Metal scraper will probably dig into the gel coat. If it's not too late to save it, use a plastic scraper. I would try to find some type of solvent to cut the adhesive if a heat gun won't loosen it. Looks like one of those jobs that will take a lot of time and patience. Similar to when I had to strip layers of paint off our vintage teardrop, inside and out. Took me a few months, little section at a time. EDIT; I used a air powered die grinder with the 2" scotch discs, but they would probably damage the gel coat unless you're real careful.

Thank you for the advice I believe I'll tackle it a little everyday, what ever kind of glue it is wont scrape . I found a solvent it that some what works it's a gel, but very very messy. I appreciate y'all sharing your wisdom!

Tags
burro