Parkliner out of storage! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Parkliner out of storage!

Off came our custom sunbrella cover, on went the wheels and tires, in went the batteries, then we hauled it out from under the metal carport we keep it under in the winter for summer outfitting.

I can wait to go camping!

Hope all you folks are doing great!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Okay, I'll bite...why do you remove your wheels for the winter? Wouldn't a couple of tire covers do the trick?
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
Okay, I'll bite...why do you remove your wheels for the winter? Wouldn't a couple of tire covers do the trick?
To take weight off the wheel bearings. That way they don't flatten out at all. Our custom cover covers the tires anyways.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 06-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
To take weight off the wheel bearings. That way they don't flatten out at all. Our custom cover covers the tires anyways.

Frank
I should hope the bearings are made of better stuff. Have never heard of tapered roller bearing going flat.
The tires will develop flat spots, but those will work out after a few miles on the road.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Seems like jack stands could take the weight off too. Just not understanding why take the wheels off.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Alabama
Registry
Pretty much since the advent of radial tires, the problem of developing flat spots on the old bias-ply tires has been taken care of.

Roller bearings take a pounding going down the road so letting them sit in one spot for a period of time will not cause any damage. What will cause damage is not ensuring they are well greased. If water gets into the bearing and it sits it could rust in place.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Since I have the luxury of wintering in my Scamport about 50 feet from my house, I put it on stands, and once in a while, when I walk by, I kick the wheels to spin them a bit, even though I cannot rationally justify it. Yes, the bearings are made of better stuff and sitting under load does not ruin them. The oil from the grease immediately creates the oil separation layer between the rolling parts as soon as they roll again.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Tires

Hi Frank
Hope you are doing well. When I used to store boat
Trailers outside years ago we always pulled the wheels and bearings and covered the axles after greasing them up thoroughly.. always figured it couldn't hurt and saved a little weather on the rims and allowed us to paint them up inside in the winter and pack the bearings so all we had to do was slap them together in the spring. If it works for you. Keep doing it I always say
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Frank
Hope you are doing well. When I used to store boat
Trailers outside years ago we always pulled the wheels and bearings and covered the axles after greasing them up thoroughly.. always figured it couldn't hurt and saved a little weather on the rims and allowed us to paint them up inside in the winter and pack the bearings so all we had to do was slap them together in the spring. If it works for you. Keep doing it I always say
Iowa Dave
I suppose that would also discourage theft. Pulling the rims and tires makes some sense, but the hubs and bearings? I would repack them and put them back on.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I suppose that would also discourage theft. Pulling the rims and tires makes some sense, but the hubs and bearings? I would repack them and put them back on.
I leave the chrome hub cap covering the bearings on along with the lug nuts, and twist twine around them and over the hub cap to keep it on.

I always check my grease every spring and in general change it ever two years no matter what.

I've been pulling wheels and tires off travel trailers in the fall for years and probably won't change. It certainly discourages theft as well, but nobody can even see the tires when my cover is on.

When we retire I'll probably be changing bearing grease every year. I'm a nut when it comes to bearing maintenance and use only Lucas Red & Tacky.

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-100.../dp/B000ARPVO8

And bring a digital heat sensor with us whenever we travel and will check hub temp at every stop. Better safe than sorry.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner