Solar Panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2016 Parkliner
Virginia
Solar Panel

How many PL owners have stand up solar panels installed? What would you suggest as a plan of action?

My wife wonders if anyone had PL do it for them or if they would?

She is averse to new drilled holes in her PL. New holes means more bugs to her! Can it be done though existing entry points?

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Norm (Honda03842) attached a solar panel to his Scamp with VHB (Very High Bond) tape, and they've driven thousands of miles with it.

I keep my panel and solar controller freestanding, and I wired them to a 7-pin receptacle so I can plug it to the trailer's pigtail after unplugging the pigtail from the tow vehicle. The solar power runs through the trailer's converter and from there to the battery. I could also have attached leads from the solar controller directly to the battery if I'd wanted to.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use a solar panel that I built a fold up stand for. At times we camp in shady places and like to chase the sun with the panel. It isn't too big a deal since in the summer months I only use it if I'm camped in one spot for more than 2 weeks. Winter about every 4th day is when it's used. I bought it for the longer camping trips, don't need it for 2 or 3 days before I move.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Mike, Thanks for the 7 pin idea! Great way for a charging connection.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
John, we used the VHB method along with the Renogy mountings made for fiberglass roofs. Make sure that you "scuff" up both the roof and the mounting feet with a scotch bright pad first, then use alcohol wipes to clean both surfaces before applying the 3M VHB outdoor tape to the surfaces. The wires from the solar panel to the battery can be run down/through an existing vent such as black water vent or a rooftop refrigerator vent.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I used VHB to bond the flexible 100W panel tp the roof.
Since I also installed a front powered vent I drilled access holes for the solar wires in the side of the fan housing and avoided punching more holes in the hull.
These holes are "Horizontal" and off the surface and sealed with the dreaded caulking and unlikely to leak.
So far so good.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner, solar, solar panel