Towing 16' Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Has anyone towed a 16' fiberglass trailer with a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 5 speed.
We are thinking of downsizing our tow from the 2wd suburban. We also are planing on towing to Utah in mid October and camping in the national parks and 4wd might come in handy.

thank you Jim H
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Has anyone towed a 16' fiberglass trailer with a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 with 5 speed.
We are thinking of downsizing our tow from the 2wd suburban. We also are planing on towing to Utah in mid October and camping in the national parks and 4wd might come in handy.

thank you Jim H
Jim,

We tow a 16 foot Fiber Stream (which I'm sure weighs more than most Scamps, Burros or Casitas) with a 3.7L Jeep Liberty and a Dodge Dakota with the same Engine. I know the 4.0 with a 5 speed would do the job. Ours are fine going over the Sierra, the Sisykous and the roads between CA and AZ.

The important considerations are the Gross Tow Weight and your hitch limitations. Check your owner's manual.

Happy Trailering,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:

thank you Jim H
Jim, I bought an 03 16' Scamp DLX just before Christmas in Northern California.
From Arcata I drove to Fernley Nevada and then home in Central California. A trip of about 1700 miles.
About 1/3 of the driving was in the Mountains.
I took Highway 80 over Donner Summit and my 07 2.7 L 4 Cyl. Toyota Tacoma with 4 speed automatic transmission never dropped below 55 mph and 3rd gear in the Mountains unless I wanted to go slower.
It had a full propane bottle, an extra group 27 battery and no water in the water tank.
You should have no problems.
In case anyone is interested I averaged 20.6 M.P.G.. About 1100 miles was towing the trailer.
I love Toyotas!
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I tow a 2000 16' SD with a Jeep Wrangler, two door, 4.0 L engine , 5-speed, straight-six.

I have done it about 9,000 miles now, no problems, loss of just 1 MPG.

The Wrangler is a heavy vehicle, 3/4 ton more than the Casita.

You should do nicely with the Cherokee.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita