CAPTAIN Trailer - Ontario - $2500 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 86 Cadet
Ontario
Registry
CAPTAIN Trailer - Ontario - $2500

Nice trailer for sale...
Not mine...

Link:

CAPTAIN Camper & Trailer, classic like Boler - Oshawa / Durham Region Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Captain 2.jpg   Captain 1.jpg  

jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think this would be perfect for Night Sailor, a member here on forum, who also owns a boat.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I own nine sailboats. And I am a licensed Captain. So you would think I'd fall for the name.

This one seems way over priced to me.

People ask me what boat to buy and one thing I tell them is there is a market for boats. Production boats like Catalina brand have made so many that the market prices are well established. I tell them to avoid non production boats, or those without an established reputation, and those with low production numbers.

I don't know anything about this camper. Let me guess.

Low production numbers. No market because so few were made and few were sold. Poor reputation--also because of the above. Finally, a bit on the ugly side.

I would rate this as a rebuild project and probably not worth the expense because you could not get your money back out of it on resale.

Estimated value? $300

An Eggcamper is more my style. I like the 13' Bolers even though I am tall. They are super light. I thought I found a cheap one but missed out. I would enjoy rebuilding a Boler.

Most likely I will get a Bigfoot truck camper. It seems towing a camper would kill the fuel economy of my Volvo to the point I'd be better off with a truck camper on my dually. I estimate I'll get 13 mpg carrying 4000 lbs, and I can still pull up to 10,000 lbs on a tag hitch.

I just put towing mirrors on my Silverado. Thankfully the price dropped from over $650 to a more reasonable $184. I think I found some Torque Lift tie downs. Next for me is Rancho RS9000 shocks and maybe sone sort of air bag bladder helpers. A little bit of wiring prep and I will be ready to move on a deal on a Bigfoot 2500 10.6E. My brother and his wife have the 10.5 and love it.

I like the idea of towing a boat trailer behind. I have several Sunfishes and a 30' racing sloop which cam be launched with a hoist.

In any event thanks for keeping me in mind. And I would love an excuse to drive to Toronto.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Conrad, I think it's a fair price as is. This trailer is an import from Poland, not manufactured on this side of the pond. There are those that own either the Captain or it's sibling... the Cadet that would pay $300 for that front window alone.

If you're interested in educating yourself about the manufacturer of this trailer (called a Caravan) see the manufacturer website: Niewiadow - Main page
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Thanks for the info Donna. You're right. I think from the looks of the outside, this is exceptional value. I am a boler lover but anything fiberglass and light right now is, as you know, going fast because smaller vehicles can haul them. Also for those interested, the Captain is a better fit for tall people, than the boler 13'.
Vivian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'll hazard a guess that there are at least 4 molded modules in the skin of this trailer (2 vertical seams and one horizontal). Are they sealed, fastened mechanically, and then covered by what appears to be a metallic-looking seam molding or are they bridged by a fiberglass layup on the inside? No doubt the price set by infatuation with this exotic is higher than 3C$ but Night Sailor makes a good argument for units sold and units surviving as an indicator of "proven" engineering. How does this design stand up to that argument? Is it the Polish workhorse or a frameless sticky?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have seen several Cadet trailers. This is the first Captain though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
This is a year-old thread, so the trailer is long gone. I believe they are still in production in Poland, so that says something good about the construction. If I ever moved to Europe, this would be my top candidate for a trailer to buy over there (I'm of Polish heritage on my father's side, gotta be loyal).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Old thread but chiming in anyway

I have a 1989 Captain which has been to a few rallies. We re-did the liner, recaulked the windows, rewired, added under-bed hatches, and a few other things. Didn't repaint the outside or change the curtains or cushion covers which are retro polyester double-knit. Didn't even change the foam as it is still firm.

This is still manufactured today in Poland and sold in Europe, UK, Asia, and Australia - just not the western hemisphere.

We were even able to get a new hatch this year (accident with a partially-opened garage door) from a Polish trailer supply company (let's here it for the internet). Parts are also sold in the UK (as well as the complete trailer if you wanted to ship one over)

It appears to be molded in four pieces - roof to top of end windows; bottom half below windows; two sides. there are metal strips covering the seams. These are screwed down, unfortunately not with stainless steel screws. We figured this out AFTER we re-lined it or we would have replaced all the screws and fiberglassed over them from the inside. Instead, we had to use butyl caulking under the strip from the outside. If it is absolutely pouring for two days straight, there is a slow leak in one corner but we are not sure if it coming in the window or thru the strip sealing the joint between the side panel and the roof panel.

Having said all that, I think these are better trailers than the ones you get here. Hollow cabinetry (a lot of work to make) for lightness; bed is longer; door is flat so no worry about whether it seals (Bolers are curved and the door can sag); add-a-room tent as a factory option (ours came with the tent which was a bonus as they are expensive); large hatch in the roof; comes with a compartment for the propane tank and battery; galvanized frame (the thing the fiberglass sits on). Ours came with surge brakes (new ones maybe have electric brakes?).

Hopefully we made it to a rally this year.
Cheers, Jennifer
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Name: Christine
Trailer: Captain trailer
Quebec
Hello

Your Captain trailer is still for sell ? leave me a message at christinerich8@hotmail.com or Call Alain or Christine (450) 304-3041 or (450) 848-4745
christinerich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Don't know if it's the same one from 2011 or not, just passing along the link

1988Captain Travel Trailer - Kitchener / Waterloo Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Kitchener / Waterloo Canada.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Not the same trailer. Check out which side the door is on.
True European model. Cool!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Not the same trailer. Check out which side the door is on.
True European model. Cool!
Most of Europe drives on the right like we do, except Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and the UK. Therefore a true European model would have the door on the right side.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I'm bad, something is different?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
I'm bad, something is different?
I agree with your first estimate that door appears to be on the left side. Most likely originally sold in the UK.
Good observation, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #16

Name: Christine
Trailer: Captain trailer
Quebec
I'm interested joint me : christinerich8@hotmail.com ask Alain or phone me 514 770-0679 cell or 450 304-3041 home

Tank
Alain
christinerich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #17

Name: Juan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
ON
Is this on sale ?

Hi Everyone, is the trailer on sale at 2018 ?
jlessmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlessmann View Post
Hi Everyone, is the trailer on sale at 2018 ?
Juan, you might want to check dates on ads. This one was posted in 2011.

In a perfect world, the seller posts a "SOLD" notice and the site team closes the thread and moves it to the archives, where it continues as a reference tool with pictures and prices of vintage trailers.

It's not a perfect world.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain