5 gallon shower - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
5 gallon shower

Anyone heard of this one?

Portable Hotaru shower applies pressure on the road

It's an off grid shower that heats, filters and recycles the same 5 gallons for weeks at a time.
I know it's yet another proposed product (release date 2017) but the concept is intriguing. I hope this one is more than vapor-ware!
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I saw the Gizmodo news about it. Sounds great. I hope when it available it does not cost a fortune.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hotaru ( Hot r you ? ) Shower ?

Electronic sensors, 70 lbs, $3, 000 : not for me and my 13 ' Scamp ! I get by with adult sized Aloe Vera wash-up towels for the elderly and bedridden. Add a small hand held spray bottle or wash cloth. And I picked up something recently at a yard sale for $2 : a brand new pop up 3foot x8 in deep folding 'bath' with a drain.It is meant for dogs but fits a Scamp. ( I hope) Even if it costs $30 or $40 new it looks like a good portable 'tub'. I'll try it out in Death Valley next week and see how it does. YOU can try out the $3000 shower later. Happy Trails !! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

California
Registry
I would call $3000 for a portable shower a fortune. Too bad. Maybe the military and NASA will buy them.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

On You
tube there are lots of shower tricks for camping. Like small battery operated nozzles for watering plants. Check 'em out ! David in Fresno and Sonora and soon Death Valley
Old 03-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
In my book
$3000=shower=vapor-ware
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #7

California
Registry
The nifty part is the cleaning & filtering gray water and reuse 20 times. It would really cut down on the runs to dump & get fresh water while boondocking.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Name: J
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOlson View Post
The nifty part is the cleaning & filtering gray water and reuse 20 times. It would really cut down on the runs to dump & get fresh water while boondocking.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
For $3k you can hire someone to do that for you.
JBjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior View Post
For $3k you can hire someone to do that for you.

Are they pretty?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
For 3 grand I could buy enough filters and put them in a series with some tubing from a hardware store and an eBay pump & propane water heater and then run the water through a reverse osmosis purification system and still have a couple of grand left for a nice used Boler...or 4
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
For 3 grand I could buy enough filters and put them in a series with some tubing from a hardware store and an eBay pump & propane water heater and then run the water through a reverse osmosis purification system and still have a couple of grand left for a nice used Boler...or 4
__________________________________________________ _____________

Show me a nice used Boler for $2000 ! David , heading for Death Valley
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
A web search will produce a lot of camp showers. I like these, and have used the Extreme shower #8140.
Zodi Portable Instant Hot Shower | Shower Accessories | Free Shipping* on Orders over $100 | Zodi.com
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I was thinking of taking a couple of five-gallon buckets with lids and a small plastic wading pool, plus our "privacy pop-up tent".

You put water in the bucket at some point, and set it in the sun at your campsite for a few hours.

You pop up the tent, put the little wading pool in it, and when the water is warm you set that inside the wading pool. Then in you go. Take off whatever; use a ladle, a small plastic pitcher, or even a toy bucket. Sluice yourself jucidiously. Use low-suds detergent/soap/product. Rinse. Dry. Re-dress.

Now. You should still have some warm water, and you have some slightly sudsy water in the wading pool. You can pour the water into an empty bucket and cap it for now, or drag the pool somewhere you can legitimately dump it. If it's too full, you used too much water. Some campsites have a "gravel drain" near the water supply where you can let it run down.

Eventually you'll find a proper place to pour the sudsy water. Repeat with the black bucket of fresh water as needed.

You can haul the buckets wherever in your set-up works best. You don't have to start with a full five gallons. I sure wouldn't. And you can add fresh water as needed.

The wading pool water can also be used for the kids or dogs to play in, same as they might a shallow bathtub...the little bit of suds and dirt will hardly matter compared to what their little feet will drag in there. You can always gently rinse them off with the ladle later.

My over-the-winter thoughts about how to manage a shower where there is no shower, coupled with how incredibly hot a dark-colored, lidded bucket of water got, standing in the sun one day.

You can eventually find all components at yard sales or 2nd hand stores, though we did buy our pop-up privacy tent new, online. It's free-standing, and THAT IS IMPORTANT! Some need a top tether or they sort of slither downward. Make sure your's is self-supporting!

YMMV, just IMHO and all that.

BEST
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
576733]__________________________________________________ _____________

Show me a nice used Boler for $2000 ! David , heading for Death Valley[/QUOTE]
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/rvs/5489240562.html

I thought there were 4 but he must have sold 2 already
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Why, BC isn't that far away!

Those look JUST like what we'd want... if we didn't already have "Sandy," (as in, "Correct me if I'm wrong, Sandy...but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key." --Carl played by Bill Murray, in Caddyshack) under repairs.

Think those two have showers?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:10 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler and U-Haul
David can you post a picture of your folding bath and is there any brand name on it?
Alan Ursacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I was thinking of taking a couple of five-gallon buckets with lids and a small plastic wading pool, plus our "privacy pop-up tent".

You put water in the bucket at some point, and set it in the sun at your campsite for a few hours.

You pop up the tent, put the little wading pool in it, and when the water is warm you set that inside the wading pool. Then in you go. Take off whatever; use a ladle, a small plastic pitcher, or even a toy bucket. Sluice yourself jucidiously. Use low-suds detergent/soap/product. Rinse. Dry. Re-dress.

Now. You should still have some warm water, and you have some slightly sudsy water in the wading pool. You can pour the water into an empty bucket and cap it for now, or drag the pool somewhere you can legitimately dump it. If it's too full, you used too much water. Some campsites have a "gravel drain" near the water supply where you can let it run down.

Eventually you'll find a proper place to pour the sudsy water. Repeat with the black bucket of fresh water as needed.

You can haul the buckets wherever in your set-up works best. You don't have to start with a full five gallons. I sure wouldn't. And you can add fresh water as needed.

The wading pool water can also be used for the kids or dogs to play in, same as they might a shallow bathtub...the little bit of suds and dirt will hardly matter compared to what their little feet will drag in there. You can always gently rinse them off with the ladle later.

My over-the-winter thoughts about how to manage a shower where there is no shower, coupled with how incredibly hot a dark-colored, lidded bucket of water got, standing in the sun one day.

You can eventually find all components at yard sales or 2nd hand stores, though we did buy our pop-up privacy tent new, online. It's free-standing, and THAT IS IMPORTANT! Some need a top tether or they sort of slither downward. Make sure your's is self-supporting!

YMMV, just IMHO and all that.

BEST
I use a similar set up except I fill a 3 gallon garden sprayer,,,the kind you pump up. with water heated on the coleman. cost less the $20. also used for washing hands and dishes and cleaning fish,,when ever I need running water in the boonies. considering adding a 12v pump to my fresh water tank,,,that would connect to an outside spigot...but that would be a cold shower for sure on some mornings here in michigan

Tags
parkliner