Paint job for my Burro! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 ft (My Burrito!)
Paint job for my Burro!

I know people have repainted their trailers.. Can anyone give me an idea what is a reasonable cost?? I contacted a company here in Olympia that refurbishes cars but they're willing to paint Burrito.. Poor baby is so oxidized! They'd sand, paint, & 2 coats of clear coat or Gel coat, 1 coat of the other.. forget the order!! I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!!
Karen L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Cost of paint jobs will vary quite a bit depending on the amount of work needed to prepare the trailer for painting, the quality of the paint used and the quality of the paint job itself. For mine the prices ranged from $3,000-$6000 on average. The result on mine is close to show quality, with minimal body work was required and I removed all the windows and exterior fittings. The paint I used is called Endura which is an industrial aviation.marine coating, tough as nails and very good gloss.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
When it comes to paint, you get what you pay for. Ian's Boler is an immaculate paint job, but you can probably get a reasonably good job done in the $1500-$2000 range. There is a surprising amount of surface area to cover when painting a trailer - even a small one, so much of that cost is in material.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Thanks Ian & Robert! The guy told me he'd do it for $1500.00.. Said he'd sand, etc.. When I hesitated, he asked me.. told me he'd give me a deal because of who referred me.. Said he charges $3500.00 to do cars! That doe sound like a bargin! Read lots of stuff about different finishes, the yellowing, stripping, maintaining, etc.. Think I may go for the professional job!!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
That is an excellent price
Old 06-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
I did mine myself and it cost me about $280.00 all in with primer, paint and all supplies required. The prep took a couple weekends of bodywork. The actual paint job took about 10hrs total. I used interlux topside and applied it using the roll and tip method. The results look great.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #7

Name: j
Trailer: Currently Shopping"
Alabama
Roll and Tip

Hi: Am a little in the dark as to the "roll and tip" method. Is this just using a paint roler like doing a houe or? Thanks
bubblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
Hi: Am a little in the dark as to the "roll and tip" method. Is this just using a paint roler like doing a houe or? Thanks
If you Google Roll and Tip you will get a ton of sites. This attached video is an excellent instructional video on the method
How-to Roll and Tip - Video Dailymotion
Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Tractor supply sells an alkyd paint, Majic Tractor, Truck & Implement paint. A lot of people have used this paint to restore tractors & cars/trucks. I am painting my Boler with it. The primer is $24.99 a gallon as well as the paint. You have to wait at least 24 hours between coats, 2 coats of primer & 2 coats of paint is recommended. Comes in a variety of colors and you can even do a layer of clear coat over the top for the same price. Paint can be applied with roller or brush or thinned to spray. They sell a hardner & a reduce that you need to add to it but it is minimal expense.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
I've had great results with roll and tip on fiberglass boats, but - considering that you are in Alabama - wait for a lower humidity, moderate temperature day to paint.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #11

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
Sorry Karen L, my comment was directed to Bubblelover in Alabama.
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1435095186.243876.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	85763
This one has been at the Ontario Bolerama the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 85763
This one has been at the Ontario Bolerama the last couple of years.

Hey James that is my burro.it was a total wreck when I bought it ,no floor at all , a tree had fallen on and it was cracked from one side to the other. We decided to remove the horizontal belly band and fiberglas it solid.i used valspar tractor enamel from princess auto . I mixed john deer green and john deer yellow together to get that colour. It looked great for about the first 2 months when I noticed it quickly started to fade so I applied 5 coats of zep over the finish three years ago and it still looks fantastic to this day. Never waxed or zeped it since.it will be at bolerama again this year
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
I think that that pic was taken three years ago. Sure got some attention.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #15

Alabama
ZEP? Not familiar with that. Can you tell me about it?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblelover View Post
ZEP? Not familiar with that. Can you tell me about it?
Zep is a somewhat controversial product discussed on many threads on this forum. It is a clear acrylic floor finish you can purchase at most Home Depots or lowes .personally it works for me extremely well,it is applied easily in a thin layering of multiple coats to a cleaned surface . It will adhere differently to different types of surfaces ,flat roofs where water and snow sit on it will not last as long and will have to be done more often but I personally find it much easier to use than any wax or other product and much cheaper.you can check the posts at " check this out not polyglow '" thread for more info .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #17

Alabama
OK Thanks. Just might give it a try a little later..
Old 06-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #18

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Aw, repainting a Burro. I had my Burro repainted by an automotive painter. Silver and indigo blue metallic. 2 stage, base coat/clear coat. He also did the graphics from pictures I provided. Because it was metallic paint, he charged me $1500. Nonmetallic would have been cheaper. I might add that the painter is a custom car and vintage trailer painter and is located in Perris, CA.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #19

Hi Gage! I've contacted 2 different places.. One guy would use the fiberglass paint after sanding, put on Gel coat & 2 coats of clear coat for $1500.00.. He usually does classic cars for $3500.00! Other guy feels fleet paint like for semis + clear coat is the way..they also have a lot of fiberglass on hood, fenders, etc.. That would be $1000.00... Which doe you think is the way to go?? Your Burro is very fancy!! Love the blue/silver combination.. I'm just going to keep Burrito white!!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Where do you get the big "Burro" logo? We're looking for a big amerigo logo, but don't have any idea where to even start looking. (Also, no rush--we still haven't gotten the new plywood floor in yet.)
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, paint