Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Bigfoot
Saskatchewan
Restoring a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper

I seem to like challenges that never seem to finish them selves. I started with a 1964 Pontiac Parssienne, moved onto 2002 Bombardier Quest that needs a new crank and now the story of a 1984 Bigfoot truck camper begins. Over all its not in bad shape, just needs some love and patches.

Seems it was well looked after, unitl it ended up at the auction yard, parked with a few of the windows open. Thankfully there is no water damage, just dust. Below are some pictures of the outside, once the jacks are on repairs can being and shots of the inside will follow. Tips for repair and restoration are greatly appreciated.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...lbums1397.html
Orcus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Sean....
That's a top end camper you have and it should be good for yet another 30 years of enjoyment. But.... It's kinda hard to give tips without specific issues. Let us know your problems with this molded fiberglass beauty and you will get lots of help.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
The biggest and most common one, the fiberglass needs some repairs. As seen in the album It fell over and ended up at the insurance auction. I'm working on getting the jacks reattached, one mount needs to be straightened and the the screws pulled out of the plywood.

Wiring has been tinkered with and needs some work as well, there are a few patches and exposed wire on the 12v side, pretty simple for me to do a rewire. The one thing I do need is a fridge, it was removed by the previous owners for some reason.

Also what is a good tank monitor system? I think it may have the probes, but no panel. I will have more pictures once the weather clears.

Thanks for the welcome to.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
It looks like one of the lighter Bigfoots. If it was me, I'd forget about the jacks and mount it permanently on a reg 3/4 ton longbed--I assume it is a longbed. If it is a short bed, I'd put in on a reg half ton shortbed. If you need more storage, try to find a utility body.

The fiberglass work is easy to do if you know what tols to use. A 5" grinder with 24 or 36 grit and and random orbital with 80 and finer grits.

What size fridge does it have?

A worthy project.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
It weighs about 1300lbs dry being as a 9.5 foot I also need m truck for other purposes so won't be permanently mounting it. The truck is a 1999 F250 Superduty 8 foot bed.

The fridge was removed by the previous owner for who knows what reasons, so at this point the space will be cleaned up and finished to fit a cooler.

The to do list so far is to repair the fiberglass, replace the bathroom roof vent, go to LED lighting inside and out, relocate the 7 pin pigtail to the back and mount it flush for a cleaner look, and eventually replace the paneling with something a bit more current.

Also need to redo the wiring from the years well meaning modifications and repairs.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Can't help you. My life is all about all molded TOWABLES, not something that slides into a truck bed. Sorry.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

Saskatchewan
Thats fine Donna, there really isn't much difference, other then one is towed and one is hauled, other wise it's all the same insides.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Me thinks that, after 21,722 posts that Donna is savvy on the differences between TOWABLES and Slide-In Campers. I believe that the basis for her point can be found in the sites introductory pages......

Old 09-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face The challenge of a vague Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't help you. My life is all about all molded TOWABLES, not something that slides into a truck bed. Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
Thats fine Donna, there really isn't much difference, other then one is towed and one is hauled, other wise it's all the same insides.
The #1 key word is MOLDED. #2 is TOWABLE.
I think we can agree that IN THIS INSTANCE, the Bigfoot brand of molded slide-in truck camper is more like the all-molded towables than ANYTHING with:
  1. panel-and-frame construction
  2. an engine and transmission

The newer corporate ownership of this website wished to broaden the scope here, but the legacy all-volunteer "employees" of the previous sole proprietor ownership hold firm to the original laser focus on molded towables. I think we can be a little accommodating and adjust that focus IN THIS INSTANCE.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #10

Interesting points, but how is an all molded fiberglass Sunrader Mini-Motorhome, bolted to a Toyota truck chassis, that different from a BigFoot molded fiberglass camper sitting in the back of a Dodge truck?
And what about the stick-built BigFoot Campers?????

Tis a slippery slope we are venturing upon.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The #1 key word is MOLDED. #2 is TOWABLE.
...than ANYTHING with:
  1. panel-and-frame construction
  2. an engine and transmission
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...how is an all molded fiberglass Sunrader Mini-Motorhome, bolted to a ... truck chassis, that different from a BigFoot molded fiberglass camper sitting in the back of a ... truck?
The difference is that the Sunrader is a single vehicle (see reference #2) with a single license plate.
Quote:
And what about the stick-built BigFoot Campers?

Tis a slippery slope we are venturing upon.
You answered your own question here. (see reference #1) The Bigfoot brand is NOT the focus.

I must agree with you in that it is a slippery slope. I have already reported myself for Moderation.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Well, you could put a Bigfoot trailer on the bed of a truck (see pic), and you could put an axle and wheels under a Bigfoot camper (if you really wanted a project). I'd say there are more similarities between the two than not. Same manufacturer, same construction, same materials, same appliances. While a Bigfoot camper isn't a towable, it is molded fiberglass and shares and awful lot with it's wheeled cousin.
Attached Thumbnails
fuso-112.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #13

Quote: "While a Bigfoot camper isn't a towable, it is molded fiberglass and shares and awful lot with it's wheeled cousin"

BUT, not all BigFoot campers are molded fiberglass, some are stick built with sheet fiberglass sides, as are many of the later BigFoot trailers and all class "A" & "C" motorhomes, to which I reply, look at the name of the site.....

Again, Tis a Slippery Slope.....

Old 09-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Well, you could put a Bigfoot trailer on the bed of a truck (see pic), .
Every time I see a pic of a rig like that I can't help but think about knocking the axle & tongue off my Scamp and mounting it up on the back of my old extra-long wheelbase 1970 Chevy one ton. But then I guess I would be banned off the board.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #15

It sounds like current policy is if it has two license plates, one for the truck the other for the camper, that it's Okey-Dokey as a moldy fiberglass slide-on(?) camper? LOL

Old 09-21-2014, 01:56 PM   #16

Ooops, But you do know that Scamp did build a few Class "C" mini-motorhomes

Old 09-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #17

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Thank you Frederick. This nit has been picked clean and life do get tedious as a result of . . . . A bit of collegiality never hurts as we are all seekers of info and assistance. Even these fellers with the rigs that don't bend in the middle know a couple of things. So long as it's patching glass, trouble shooting rv equipment, comparing camping experiences, what's the diff? And I've never understood the difference between milage and performance from one ICE to another based on whether it's part of the barge or part of the pushboat. And, as all observe when it's convenient to THEIR purpose, anything goes in Chat. Jack
Old 09-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I agree with Jack's statement wholeheartedly.

IMO, This Bigfoot is still a 'molded' unit with similar repair methodology. As such, many of the 'Molded Towable' owners will likely be able to help out with tips and techniques. And we might also learn something new too.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the resto project.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:03 AM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Fixing the fiberglass will be easy enough and can be done from one or both sides. Be sure the jack points are strong and secure. You do not want this to ever fall off the jacks. I recommend building some sort of stand to support it when storing it off the truck.

The front windows are a potential problem area. Bigfoot did away with them for a reason. Driving into a head wind could see 80 mph wind force and if it is raining water could get in easily. The fold down "rock protectors" in campers do more than protect camper windows from rocks. They help keep water out by breaking the force of the wind at the rubber seals. I've had similar problems with forward hatches when sailing offshore. The solution in that case was a fiberglass duck bill add to the hatch
to break the force of the waves.

Keep the photos rolling in. I'm glad I'm not the only TC member here with a target on me.

Still I enjoy the group. There are lots of real experts in here and I value what I can learn from them.

I have, heaven forbid...a rubber roof and aluminum frame! So you are closer to the norm.

Were it not for the fact I like to Boondock, winter camp, park in a normal 20' parking spaces, feel secure being up high, and have the capability of towing a boat, I might have bought an egg camper. In any event, we can share the dirty looks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411383025.175676.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	76782

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 PM   #20

Saskatchewan
The repairs to the fiberglass should be easy enough. They are pretty accessible areas, so will be doing both side except for the one on the back, the shower wall is right there so will have to repair it from the outside only.

I expect the windows to have some issues, I think one front one is leaking as the inner paneling is water stained. Will have to source the issue, I think its the rim seal and will have to remove the window to redo seal, with out SILICONE.

Night Sailor, I've always thought of my self as being a bit "different", and it just continues here. If I could have got a towable for what I got the slide in for, I would have but, they are so far out of my budget and priced to the point here, I may as well buy new. I agree with the being able to tow a trailer, since I do have a quad.

Everything fiberglass I've learned, I've learned from here. I wonder if carbon fiber would be suitable substitute? I should have a new batch of photos coming in the next couple of weeks, It should be off the trailer once I get the final repairs done to the last jack mount.

Tags
bigfoot