LIL Snoozy Fresh water tank gauge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
LIL Snoozy Fresh water tank gauge

I drilled 1.5 inch holes in the trim panel in front of the fresh water tank, which is located under the couch. I added a trim panel for looks. Now you can see at a glance how much water is left in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
2014-09-18 22.03.38.jpg   2014-09-18 22.03.48.jpg  

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Nice idea Charlie!
Old 09-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
I drilled 1.5 inch holes in the trim panel in front of the fresh water tank, which is located under the couch. I added a trim panel for looks. Now you can see at a glance how much water is left in the tank.

I kinda did the same thing on the tank itself with 1/4" holes. That way I could tell how much water was in the tank by which hole the water was coming out of. LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

North Carolina
Registry
Thanks Greg,

A slot would be better but it would be hard to rout without taking out the panel. I slid a thin piece of plywood between the panel and the tank to prevent drilling into the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

NC
...or removing the tank, which would be a pain. Either way it is effective and looks professionally done. We have elected to leave off the fresh water tank on our build and utilize the space for storage drawers. In all our years of camping up and down the east coast we have never needed a fresh water tank. Most of our favorite campgrounds are all electric/sewer/water. We usually take along enough bottled drinking water to cover our long weekend trips. If we find we need it down the road it can always be added. I remember you being a pretty tall fellow. How's the shower fit for you? Just curious.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #6

North Carolina
Registry
I have used it one time. I wouldn't say it was comfortable but I can manage. We will use campground showers whenever possible but it is nice to have the option.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #7

NC
I agree. I'm around 6' - 210lbs. I tried it out for fit and would do better sitting on cassette while showering, but I agree, it is nice to have when no other option is available.

Maybe Richard could incorporate your water gauge slot idea into the campers when customers want the FW tank. Would be fairly easy to cut in the slot before the tank is installed.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Very well done Charlie. As someone who does use the water tank in their trailer a lot I love this idea.

If you find you have trouble seeing the water line, at one of the fiberglass trailer meets someone had done something similar on a Scamp - but they added a small LED light into the hatch behind the tank so when they turned the light on via a small outside switch, they could see the water level in the tank a bit more clearly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Nice job. I like the viewing ports.

I did something similar with our Scamp 5er.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09Mar15_Fresh_Tank_Backlight_Shows_Water_Level.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	76861

It's part of the U-Shaped Dinette project I did a few years ago. The post showing how it works is here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post165312
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
I like that Peter. I went with the portholes to keep from having to disassemble the couch and related. The light is a good idea but so far I can see good without one. I enjoyed reading about your Scamp upgrades.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #11

North Carolina
Registry
Greg, one of the other things I did was make a platform for the bath to get the floor closer to the toilet. It can be removed when using the shower. At least one LS owner has done something similar.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411528682.163551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	76862

Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
[QUOTE=greg489;484129]I agree. I'm around 6' - 210lbs. I tried it out for fit and would do better sitting on cassette while showering, but I agree, it is nice to have when no other option is available.

I couldn't see paying the extra $500.00 for the Theadford cassette toilet, because it is essentially the same as the standard Theadford portable toilet (empties the same way). I always remove the toilet (very easy) prior to showering, as it gives a lot of room to be able to turn around, bend over, etc.
With all the problems Theadford has had with the "blue" hose bursting, I'm glad I did not go that route.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #13

NC
Hey Dave, we also use the portable battery flush model in our popup and like it too. I've considered what you did to save money. The only problem would be not including it with the sale of the popup. Most see it and would want it to stay. Certainly something I'm considering.

Charlie ~ I like the platform. We must be a lot a like. Always coming up with improvements.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Greg, if I'm not mistaken, the portable toilet (hand pump, not electric flush) comes as standard equipment in the Lil Snoozy, and the cassette toilet is a $500.00 option.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Nice job. I like the viewing ports.

I did something similar with our Scamp 5er.
: should of know it was yours Peter I saw. You have some very cool modifications.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
[QUOTE=David B.;484258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg489 View Post
I agree. I'm around 6' - 210lbs. I tried it out for fit and would do better sitting on cassette while showering, but I agree, it is nice to have when no other option is available.

I couldn't see paying the extra $500.00 for the Theadford cassette toilet, because it is essentially the same as the standard Theadford portable toilet (empties the same way). I always remove the toilet (very easy) prior to showering, as it gives a lot of room to be able to turn around, bend over, etc.

With all the problems Theadford has had with the "blue" hose bursting, I'm glad I did not go that route.

Dave & Paula

Kind of off topic but my 'blue hose' burst again last weekend, under 12v pump pressure no less. First time was easy to fix through the little door. This time I had to take the toilet out to get to the other end. Replaced it with 175 psi hose from the hardware store.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #17

NC
What's up with that "blue" hose I keep reading about. I hope those guys at the factory are paying close attention here. How much $ would it cost to replace that cheap hose with something that will last. I can't think of anything worse than a water leak while out camping even if the tub is fiberglass.
I did inquire about this during my visit and Richard sort of shrugged it off and claimed that the "blue" hose was no longer an issue with the newer campers.
If Richard ever calls me with a quote on my build plans I'll bring the subject up.

Dave: I'll check on the pump toilet too, thanks!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #18

North Carolina
Registry
Here is what Richard posted on the LS forum:

Dear Snoozy Owner’s
We have been made aware that a few Snoozy owners have experienced a failure with the cassette toilet resulting in water leakage. It is possible that high water pressure may have been the cause, and that it could be prevented by using a water pressure regulator. 40 – 80 psi is an acceptable range for the cassette toilet. It is also important to properly winterize the cassette toilet and its components by following the winterization instructions contained in the C-200 owner’s manual. If you no longer have the cassette toilets manual please click on the link listed below.
We have been in contact with Thetford and have expressed our concerns regarding this issue and at this time are waiting to hear back from them regarding any follow-up measures that should be taken by the customer. It’s important for the customer to register the product through Thetford and to report any concerns regarding warranty directly to Thetford.
We at Lil’ Snoozy, LLC are not at liberty to alter the products manufactured by Thetford. Thetford provides their own 1 year warranty coverage for their toilets. If you experience any problem what-so-ever with the Thetford cassette please immediately contact their customer service department at Thetford Europe | Mobile toilet & kitchen solutions since 1960.
For parts and/or service - including those under warranty - contact a local Thetford Certified Service Center (CSC) or an RV Dealer. Or, call Thetford's Customer Service Department for information at 1-800-543-1219.
Under the Warranty Program, Thetford replaces or repairs toilets and/or parts, and reimburses for warranty labor.
Thetford Cassette C - 200 CW/S/CS Installation & Owner’s Manual Link:
Cassette C - 200 CW/S/CS PDF

Kindest Regards,
Lil’ Snoozy
Old 09-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #19

NC
Thanks for posting that info Charlie, I must have missed that over in LSC's site.
It's good that Snoozy is aware and in contact with Thetford. I don't manufacture campers, but if I did I wouldn't want to install products on my rigs that could make me or my company look bad. I'm sure Snoozy doesn't either. As a courtesy I would just replace the crappy hose with a good one as I was installing it, that's just me. I'm sure the Thetford warranty won't allow them to mess around and alter their products, so in that case, and if Thetford is not willing to fix the problem, I would just find a more reliable product to offer my customers. Maybe there isn't a better product out there. I saw the set up in person and really liked how it looked and operated, but not at the expense of possibly flooding my brand new baby . I hate water issues, that's just me. I'm not so sure water pressure is always the culprit either. Most knowledgable campers (and I said MOST) understand about inconsistant campground water pressures and use reducing valves. Look at Denny's example above. His hose blowed out using his on board water pump (which I'm assuming was installed by Snoozy), and it sounds like this wasn't the first time his hose blew or came loose. Hopefully the new stronger replacement hose Denny installed will correct the problem. It has come to my attention by Dave that the Thetford portable (removable) model is standard equipment on the Snoozy. I wasn't made aware of that when visiting, but I didn't ask either. It's not electric (correct me if I'm wrong Dave) and doesn't have the outside door for removing the waste tank. So that would be an option over the electric model which is permanently attached and harder to work on. We've use a Thetford portable electric model for years with our popup and it has always performed flawlessly.
Listen, I'm not picking on the guys at Snoozy because of these issue with the "blue" hose. They don't make the cassette, they just install it. Richard and his staff were awesome when we were visiting and really impressed me with their desire to supply great customer service. But my wife and I are seriously looking at their camper and want to be aware of any customer issues before we commit. I'm not the least bit worried about incidental issues that may come up with the camper. If you own something mechanical, things are going to eventually break or wear out. I actually enjoy fixing and making improvments, it's a hobby. I completely restored our Coleman popup from the ground up so I wouldn't have any issues while camping. You wouldn't believe the shotty factory assembly line crap I found while stripping down that "top of the line" popup. She's now solid as an oak and better than anything the factory puts out! The Snoozy shell & interior is a pretty simple design, and if we commit, my build will come less than half finished so I'm going to know exactly what went into it when I'm finished. But I have no patience when it comes to water leaks, which probably stems from a major leak we had in our home a few years back while away on vacation.
We are still planning a tour of the Parkliner factory, which is only a short drive away, to check out their factory & FG egg. The next time I talk to Snoozy I'll see what the latest information and customer experience has been on their recent cassette installs. Like Dave, I may just go with the portable deal and eliminate any worries about leaks.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Inline Pressure Regulator

[QUOTE=MCDenny;484457]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post

Kind of off topic but my 'blue hose' burst again last weekend, under 12v pump pressure no less. First time was easy to fix through the little door. This time I had to take the toilet out to get to the other end. Replaced it with 175 psi hose from the hardware store.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
This is a problem I have seen before and I have used products similar to this one to protect low pressure valves & connections in the past. Looks like cheap insurance:

In-Line Water Pressure Regulator

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy