Recommendations for new interior lights? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Recommendations for new interior lights?

Hi all,

I am a new member of the FGRV community and am working on restoring a 1977 scamp. We were most interested in the fiberglass RVs because of their sturdiness and the fiberglass design. I want to install two minimalist interior lights, but I am worried about drilling into the fiberglass body. Is drilling into the fiberglass body going to increase my risk of leaks? Is there a certain way to install lights into the ceiling that doesn't require drilling through the fiberglass? Are there any recommendations on what is the best way to do this?

I have tried to search through some forums but haven't found anything solid yet. If anyone has any recommendations of where to look, please share!

Thanks so much,

Kelly
KellyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I don't know how Scamps are set up...I'm guessing there are already light fixtures? Or no? If there are light fixtures already, then the holes are already drilled and wires already run, and you would just want to find fixtures that fit those pre-drilled holes.

If they aren't already run, I'm not sure. My camper has wood walls and ceiling so there's something to drill into other than the fiberglass body. There are battery powered, stick-on lights out there, too. Depending on where you wanted the lights, I think you could avoid drilling. I have to assume there are lights in there already, though...

I usually just replace the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Sorry, I don't have Scamp-specific knowledge.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I wouldn't drill through the shell just for a light fixture. Scamp installs all the 12V lights on cabinets, none on the outer shell.

If I were determined to mount one on the outer shell and not on a cabinet, I would carefully cut open the lining, epoxy a piece of wood to the fiberglass, reattach the lining, and screw into the wood.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
I put an led strip light from IKEA on the ceiling of my Scamp and just glued it several places to the rat fur. The leds are 12v dc so I cut off the 12v power adapter and spliced into the Scamp wiring in the front closet.
It works great and supplies sorely need room lighting.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Minimalist you say ... ?

Then might I interest you in battery powered "puck" lights stuck with double sided tape ...
Attached Thumbnails
Boler Interior 3-16-13 007.jpg   Boler Interior 3-16-13 003.jpg  

Boler Interior 3-16-13 009.jpg  
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
West Marine...Red/White

I am getting these ...... WEST MARINE LED Interior Dome Light, 7", Stainless Steel, Switchable Red/White | West Marine

if you didn't know..the red light is used at night as it will not dilate your pupils..I don't much care for the $2.86 plastic lights that Scamp puts in..I like the fact they are stainless steel

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, light, lights