85 Uhaul w plenty to do! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
85 Uhaul w plenty to do!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171207_173358.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	114485Hello,
My wife and I just purchased a 85 Uhaul Camper. His name is Lil Nugget. He needs work and we can't wait to get started. We can use all the help we can get. I am fairly handy and my wife is very creative. I'm glad their is a community here and hope to learn and share during our restore process.
We used to Own a Scotty Serro trailer that we fixed up and eventually sold. We wanted a fiberglass camper and found ours on Craigslist a couple days ago. Nugget needs floor, frame, fiberglass, work and our Windows leak. Everything is pretty original and we want to update to our liking so we can take him camping. Any help getting started is appreciated.
moonpies4misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Welcome to the U-Haul world, Adam!

Those of us in the upper Midwest are jealous of those who can keep tinkering on their camper projects straight through the winter... mine's all wrapped up for the winter. [with a lot of fixing-up still undone]

Floors getting soft is pretty common. If it's just in one or more distinct areas, you should be able to splice them in--sealing the patches with f/g resin above and below. Replacing the whole floor has been done by several folks, too, and you should be able to find procedures, step by step, for taking the body shell [after bracing it] off the frame... and then digging out the old... installing the new floor in 3 or 4 sections.

These old windows are quite leak-prone... even with the good, step by step rebuild instructions it's quite a chore to get them completely leak-proof.

Fiberglass repair isn't as hard as it might seem. Messy, for sure, but a long way from rocket science. "Fiberglass Dave" has a long write-up on here on tackling it.

There's quite a bit of good material stored in the "Document Center"--accessed at the top of the page. There's also lots of good info & helpful folks over on the U-Haul Facebook site... if you're not opposed to Facebook. A number of U-Haul owners post both here and over there.

At any rate--ask any questions you have as you go along, and there should be plenty of folks chiming in.

keepin' on...
Gary [in Iowa]
Old 12-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi wife and I owned a Uhaul some time ago . I refer to them as a Burro on steroids , they were built to rent so they overbuilt them to take the abuse of renters , didn't work out so they sold them all. Couple of notes to consider... rims are strange and a standard 5 on 4 1/2 inch rim will not fit. Uhaul was and still is ( I think ) concerned that folks will steal their tires and rims so they are a proprietary design with unorthodox measurements. Also you should not have to remove body from frame to fix the soft floor spots as I remember the fiberglass shell on a Uhaul goes completely under the shell so you should only have to dig out soft spots . Being built on steroids probably your frame is in solid shape. Check out the rear bumper, it is huge and aluminum. One time when I was having problems with the tail lights I tried to temporarily attach a magnetic tail light assembly only to have them fall off . I had to use zip ties to get them to attach. Good luck with your new project. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: Adam
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
Thanks for the info. We are in SW Fl. and its in the upper 50's today. Freezing ☃️!
My wife has a Facebook account so she joined the group there. I'm using the FGRV App on my phone but it doesn't seem to have everything the website does. I can't access the document center on the app or go to the Uhaul owners page for some reason.
I actually have a spare rim and tire the PO included in the sale. Wondering if Baby Moon hubcaps can be installed on the Uhaul wheels? I don't see any nubs to hold them on but I've seen pics of trailers with them. Maybe they used different rims/Hubs? I didn't know the bumper was Aluminum. Seems like a strange choice for a bumper.
I just posted in the restoration section with pics if you have any thoughts I'd like to hear them.
moonpies4misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
New wheels are available from Uhaul now. Info on them and hubcaps is on the Facebook group.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul