Lil Snoozy weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Lil Snoozy weight

Move so we don't hijack a thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
I see the Lil Snoozy factory website now has raised the weight spec to 2500 lbs. Mine was supposed to be 2150 lbs but actual weight after my mods was 2850 lbs. It's also 18'6" long, about 18" longer than a Scamp 16 both inside and out.

Everybody wants a light trailer. Manufacturers tend to understate weight to attract customers. The "real world weights" thread here is a lot more reliable data.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
I want to tow using my Dodge Journey. They used to rate the Journey at 3,500 lb towing but a while back changed that to 2,500 and no one knows why. With the V6 and a six speed auto it should do fine. Those who have the older one say they see no difference with the new one towing the same trailer.

Anyway, there s so much to like about the Lil Snoozy, the rear entry is my biggest like, but how to keep the weight down to 2,000 lb. What's funny is they say the Scamp 16 is under 2,000 in its standard CONFIG which seems to have more than the Snoozy. It would add to the cost but here s a list of what would help.
  • Aluminum undercarriage instead of steel.
  • If they are using any MDF switch to lite weight burch plywood.
  • If the shell has a hard inside with the insulation in the middle have a version with the soft inside.

Then the first two would add cost.

The alto safari is really lite at around 1,700 lbs but then it cost over $26K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
In an interview with Jay Leno a while back he said "everybody lies about sex and electricity (refering to electric car's range)". I guess we can add weights of FGRVs to the list.
I remember hime saying that, it was quite funny but all so true.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My empty shell Hauley is supposed to weigh 1200 lb. Suppose one adds the weight of an AC unit, a fridge, a battery, a jackknife sofa, a water pump, and a mattress. That probably brings it up to 1500-1600 lb. One has not even started finishing out with cabinets and such. It's a wonder they can make them as lightweight as they do.

Now, I could go camp in my Hauley loaded with just a cot, a camp stove, a folding chair, and a few supplies. it would probably be less than 1400 lb. I have thought about doing this. No frills, but it's high and dry.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Having had a cracked frame, I would prefer steel over aluminum for a frame. Just about anywhere you go you can find someone to weld steel, It's not the case with Aluminum, particularly when you're far out.

Weight only become a factor on the hills (and upon acceleration) and generally only means it takes more time to reach the top. My bigger concern is shape. In general air resistance is the biggest load for the tow vehicle and is continuously in play.

All that said, when I make a modification, weight is a consideration. When I replaced our table, cabinet doors, couch back, I used birch faced plywood. It's lighter and prettier than the original.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:39 PM   #4

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post

The alto safari is really lite at around 1,700 lbs but then it cost over $26K.
Sounds like a really nice unit. To bad there are not any dealerships in the US.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy, weight