Beachcomber TM15 - The build, starting with gutting the inside - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #61

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
Talking Well I finally got some time for the Beachcomber.

I wanted to see why the brakes didn't work, I knew there was no continuity from the wires going into the brake assembly so I thought most likely broken brake magnet wires.

Well my pal and I jacked up the trailer and removed the wheels and brake drums to see what the problem was, guess what everything was there except one of the P.O.s cut the wires to the magnets and removed them completely.

My guess is one of the magnets was bad and instead of replacing them he just cut them out, so next spring I think I'll install new brakes complete and start fresh.

I also got the Beachcomber tarped for the winter, now we patiently wait for next spring.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #62

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
awesome job Rick
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #63

Registry
Thanks Scott.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
awesome job Rick
Still quite a ways to go yet but little by little it should turn out to be a great little trailer.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #64

Registry
Talking Well it's getting close.

The little Beachcomber has been all covered up for the winter at the Trailer park we keep our larger campground trailer, luck for me though the new site I have at the trailer park is a big enough site for me to drag the little Beachcomber down to to continue the rebuild, I have so many things still to do but I think over the winter I found a place to buy the original style rear lights at and I can't tell you how that put a smile on my face.

Rick.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #65

Name: Sidney
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber B15
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: I have really enjoyed following your posts re your Beachcomber TM15. Whats the diff. between that and the B15 that I just purchased??
I have been anxiously awaiting some new spring posts. I have probably read your previous ones about 4 or 5 times. They will be very helpfull to me as I attempt to redo my new/old B15.

Squidley
Squidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #66

Registry
Talking Hey Squidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidley View Post
Hi Rick: I have really enjoyed following your posts re your Beachcomber TM15. Whats the diff. between that and the B15 that I just purchased??
I have been anxiously awaiting some new spring posts. I have probably read your previous ones about 4 or 5 times. They will be very helpfull to me as I attempt to redo my new/old B15.

Squidley
Thanks for your kind words, as for the differences I think yours may be a newer model and be a little more refined.

As for getting back to the post of the progress on the Beachcomber the campground I have it stored at opens May the 9th and shortly after that i will be hard at it.

I did get a little side tracked because I bought another 1979 Bronco and I've been playing with that.

BTW where are you from Squidley?
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 007.jpg   Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 001.jpg  

Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 015.jpg   Pictures from camera april,16th 2011 016.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #67

British Columbia
Registry
Hey Rick: I think I am going to enjoy this. Thanks for your quick response. If you saw my B15 you wouldn't think it's more refined. I hope to take some pics soon. Then I have to learn how to post them.
I need info re: the torsion axle needed as I need to re convert back to torsion. Do you have any floor plans etc. Mine looks diff. than yours.
I am in Grand Forks BC and no one here has ever heard of Bluwood or Aluminum Foam.
When I get a few pics you will see the difference.
I guess my first task will be to strip out the inside, and then to work on the frame and suspension.
I did post more info on the new members forum. Thanks again
Squidley
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #68

Registry
Talking 77 mine is a 78

Quote:
Hey Rick: I think I am going to enjoy this. Thanks for your quick response. If you saw my B15 you wouldn't think it's more refined. I hope to take some pics soon. Then I have to learn how to post them.
I need info re: the torsion axle needed as I need to re convert back to torsion. Do you have any floor plans etc. Mine looks diff. than yours.
I am in Grand Forks BC and no one here has ever heard of Bluwood or Aluminum Foam.
When I get a few pics you will see the difference.
I guess my first task will be to strip out the inside, and then to work on the frame and suspension.
I did post more info on the new members forum. Thanks again
Squidley
So it looks like yours is really one year older than mine LOL well no matter if you post some pictures I'll help out as best as I can.

The picture posting is a bit daunting at first but once you get the hang of it it becomes quite easy and believe me after you get started on your rebuild you'll learn what hard is, just kidding you'll have a lot of fun I'm sure of it.

Cheers, Rick.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: Finally got around to getting some pics of my B15. Hope I get them posted OK. As far as I can tell, the unit is much like yours. It had no fridge so I'll need to find one. The pics will tell a lot. I have had to totally gut it.
I also have a whole list of questions. I don't want to take up all your time, but your answers could be very helpful to me.

I'll list my questions before I try the Pic posting.
1. Where did you get the Bluwood?? no one here has heard of it.
2. What dimensions did you use for the floor?? 1 x 3" (3/4 x 2 1/2) ?
3.When you cut a board, how did you reseal the cut ends?
4. When rebuilding, did you leave the furnace out. On you pics, it looks like you did.
5. Did you change the table/bed arrangement from lengthwise to crosswise?
6. The aluminum foam sounds like a great idea. Where did you purchase it and what is the cost?
7. Note on the pics, my B15 sits very high. The torsion axle has been changed to a sprung axle. I need to lower it at least 6 inches. Does your unit still have the torsion axle? If yes, does it have a number. What is the weight capacity and what is the starting angle?? I have been told by an RV shop to just get a 6" drop axle and install it upside down. Unless it was specially built, wouldn't that make the camber angle wrong? Also, a sprung axle needs to be mounted 5 - 6 inches further back than a torsion axle which has a 6" arm. Does this not move the fulcrum point back and therefore put more weight on the TV hitch?? A drop axle would be considerably less costly.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone else out there can shed light on these matters I would be pleased to hear from you.

Sorry, I'm struggling with the picture posting, so will send this and try again with the pics.

Squidley
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #70

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: I will try those pics again.

Squidley
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01629.jpg   DSC01630.jpg  

DSC01631.jpg   DSC01635.jpg  

DSC01636.jpg   DSC01640.jpg  

DSC01642.jpg   DSC01654.jpg  

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #71

Registry
Talking Hey Squidley.

Quote:
Hi Rick: Finally got around to getting some pics of my B15. Hope I get them posted OK. As far as I can tell, the unit is much like yours. It had no fridge so I'll need to find one. The pics will tell a lot. I have had to totally gut it.
I also have a whole list of questions. I don't want to take up all your time, but your answers could be very helpful to me.

I'll list my questions before I try the Pic posting.
1. Where did you get the Bluwood?? no one here has heard of it.
2. What dimensions did you use for the floor?? 1 x 3" (3/4 x 2 1/2) ?
3.When you cut a board, how did you reseal the cut ends?
4. When rebuilding, did you leave the furnace out. On you pics, it looks like you did.
5. Did you change the table/bed arrangement from lengthwise to crosswise?
6. The aluminum foam sounds like a great idea. Where did you purchase it and what is the cost?
7. Note on the pics, my B15 sits very high. The torsion axle has been changed to a sprung axle. I need to lower it at least 6 inches. Does your unit still have the torsion axle? If yes, does it have a number. What is the weight capacity and what is the starting angle?? I have been told by an RV shop to just get a 6" drop axle and install it upside down. Unless it was specially built, wouldn't that make the camber angle wrong? Also, a sprung axle needs to be mounted 5 - 6 inches further back than a torsion axle which has a 6" arm. Does this not move the fulcrum point back and therefore put more weight on the TV hitch?? A drop axle would be considerably less costly.
Thanks again for your help, and if anyone else out there can shed light on these matters I would be pleased to hear from you.

Sorry, I'm struggling with the picture posting, so will send this and try again with the pics.

Squidley
The Bluwood is available at Lowes News articles about BluWood

The Aluminum Foam is from a Canadian company called Cymat
CYMAT

As for resealing, when cut Bluwood is not like pressure treated and as far as I've been told it does not require end cuts resealed.

Yes furnace is left out.

Yes bed lay out is changed for comfort, size and it allows more seating for around the table.

And yes my beachcomber still has the torsion axle, sorry no numbers on it that I can see but if you do a search on this site there is some very good information on acquiring replacement torsion axles, I personally would not use a spring style axle.

It sounds like the RV place you're dealing with is either not interested in doing the job or doesn't have the knowledge and or talent to do the job correctly.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #72

Registry
Talking Ok I'm back at it.

It's been awhile but I will have some time this wkend to work on the "BeachComber" once again.

I have made a little bit of progress. I installed complete new brakes including backing plate and new drums and bearings and new brake wiring of course.

Now for the fun part it's taken me all year to figure out what I will use for trim inside the trailer where the walls meet the ceiling, you are never going to believe what I came up with.

I'll post before and after pictures of it soon and give folks a chance to guess what it is, but my guess is no one will guess right.

I am once again motivated but summer is such a busy time and all I really want to do is work on my little trailer, I'm sure others know what I mean

Rick.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #73

British Columbia
Registry
Hi Rick: Great to hear you're back at it. Work on mine has been slow. I had originally hoped to be able to use the trailer by mid Aug. but now it looks like I'll be lucky to have it sealed up for winter.
Since my prev. post, I removed the body from the frame and discovered a lot more damage that needed attention. When I look at your pics now I think "boy if only my B15 was in that good a shape." My trailer must have had a rough life. I plan to attach some pics that show the damage to the frame. It looks as though It broke and dropped the front end hard. Alot of rough FG repairs had been done. I spent a lot of time trying to remedy the problems, but without undertaking massive FG rebuilds. I believe that it is now quite solid and 75% is hidden.
I purchased a new torsion axle from Reace at Escape Trailers in Chilliwack and a local welding shop here in Grand Forks repaired the frame and installed the new axle. I also installed new wheels. Already it started looking better.
Just as a matter of interest, sometime back there were some comments about a strange looking FG trailer that someone jokingly called a Vitara because of the spare tire cover. That trailer is my Beachcomber.
Today I finished laying in the plywood floor. On Mon. I hope to start fixing the two halves back together.
I will try to be more prompt with future posts.
Rick, should I be posting my progress on your thread or should I start one of my own?????

Squidley
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01698.jpg   DSC01699.jpg  

DSC01700.jpg   DSC01701.jpg  

B15 010.jpg   B15 013.jpg  

B15 014.jpg   B15 015.jpg  

DSC01711.jpg   DSC01713.jpg  

Old 07-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #74

Registry
Talking Hey Sydney

Quote:
Hi Rick: Great to hear you're back at it. Work on mine has been slow. I had originally hoped to be able to use the trailer by mid Aug. but now it looks like I'll be lucky to have it sealed up for winter.
Since my prev. post, I removed the body from the frame and discovered a lot more damage that needed attention. When I look at your pics now I think "boy if only my B15 was in that good a shape." My trailer must have had a rough life. I plan to attach some pics that show the damage to the frame. It looks as though It broke and dropped the front end hard. Alot of rough FG repairs had been done. I spent a lot of time trying to remedy the problems, but without undertaking massive FG rebuilds. I believe that it is now quite solid and 75% is hidden.
I purchased a new torsion axle from Reace at Escape Trailers in Chilliwack and a local welding shop here in Grand Forks repaired the frame and installed the new axle. I also installed new wheels. Already it started looking better.
Just as a matter of interest, sometime back there were some comments about a strange looking FG trailer that someone jokingly called a Vitara because of the spare tire cover. That trailer is my Beachcomber.
Today I finished laying in the plywood floor. On Mon. I hope to start fixing the two halves back together.
I will try to be more prompt with future posts.
Rick, should I be posting my progress on your thread or should I start one of my own?????

Squidley
By the looks of it your frame was in very rough shape, and now when referencing my own BeachComber rebuild I can say do you know what I mean and you are most likely the only other human being on planet earth that can say been there done that LOL

All others can only guess.

I'm going to suggest you do start a build thread just so folks that are considering doing a resto on one of our trailers or something completely different it could serve to motivate them.

And on a selfish note I'd just enjoy seeing more pictures of your build.

Rick.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #75

Registry
Ok here's some of the pictures of the new trim

How about it folks what are you guess's on materials used.
Attached Thumbnails
BeachComber Trailer Trim 001.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 002.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 003.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 004.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 005.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 006.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 007.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 008.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 009.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 010.jpg  

Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #76

Registry
And more pictures

Any guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n View Post
How about it folks what are you guess's on materials used.
Attached Thumbnails
BeachComber Trailer Trim 011.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 012.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 013.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 014.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 015.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 016.jpg  

BeachComber Trailer Trim 017.jpg   BeachComber Trailer Trim 018.jpg  

Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #77

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hummm, some of that stuff in post #75 looks like wiring conduit. The kind you put OUTSIDE of walls because it would be next to impossible to fish wire.....

What do I win for guessing correctly
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hummm, some of that stuff in post #75 looks like wiring conduit. The kind you put OUTSIDE of walls because it would be next to impossible to fish wire.....

What do I win for guessing correctly
Sorry Donna No cigar the Materials are for the record, Vertical Blinds slats and they snap smartly into vinyl siding "J" moldings used to hide the screws when siding a house.

The pictures don't really do it justice and none of the seams have been caulked yet to give it a clean factory look.

Rick.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #79

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well shoot, I lose (sorta like the LOTTERY), but a GREAT idea you can up with Rick. And yes, I would have never have guessed you were using Vertical Blind slats, lookin' good
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #80

Registry
Talking Thanks Donna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Well shoot, I lose (sorta like the LOTTERY), but a GREAT idea you can up with Rick. And yes, I would have never have guessed you were using Vertical Blind slats, lookin' good
I can't tell how many materials I considered but none of them was water and mold and mildew proof so I continued to look, it was definitely worth the time spent because the set up works great and looks good too, plus it gives me easy access to the wiring should I ever have a problem because it takes less than a minute to pop the blind slat out and get to the wiring.

also it only protrudes about 3/8 to 1/2.

I can't wait until I made all the tweaking and caulking(Tub&Tile of course).

Rick.

Tags
beachcomber