Spare tire in entry closet - how's that working? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Spare tire in entry closet - how's that working?

To owners of newer EggCampers - As I understand it, in about 2012 (?), EggCamper started putting the spare tire in the entry closet rather than mounting it on the rear bumper (like our 2010 model). How's that working out? Were you told the reason for moving the spare inside? Is there a vertical mount for it in the closet, or does it just lay on the false bottom of the closet? Is it difficult to get it in and out of the closet? Does it make the closet and contents smell like tire rubber, and if so, does that smell leak out into the cabin? Do you continue to carry it in the closet, or have you moved it to an outside mount, and if so, where? Like the old television commercial said, "Curious minds want to know...."
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Spare Tire in Closet

I have a 2011. Spare tire came in the closet with a nice cover on it. Sits on the very bottom of the closet floor and there is a piece of plywood with carpet fitted around it to conceal the electrical items below. Nicely done, therefore theft is never a concern. There was never any smell due to having the tire stored inside. Still plenty of room for hanging all the heavy jackets and other clothes from the closet rod above.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Thanks Wayne, Sounds like it works well. In our case, with up to three batteries on the tongue, having the spare tire mounted on the back bumper helps balance the extra tongue weight. But that's just us. When on the road, we use a simple bicycle cable lock around tire and rear bumper to deter theft, and it hasn't disappeared yet (fingers crossed). Thanks again for the info on your experience carrying your spare inside the entry closet....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Eggcamper
New York
Hi , we have a 2013 EggCamper and the spare is in the closet. I was concerned about the rubber smell but it came wrapped in a heavy plastic bag and smell hasn't been an issue at all. The only thing I notice is that sometimes a small item will want to slip down into the area around the tire. So far I have been able to get things out without taking the tire out. Jim Palmer of EggCamper told us the reason but I can't remember what it was, just that it made sense at the time.
Lisa Fingerlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
The spare in our 2012 was in the closet also. Since the Eggcamper is tongue heavy and we wanted to reduce the tongue weight, and we are going to leave the bed set in place all the time, I wrapped it in plastic and put it under the bed at the very back.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper Spare Tire under Bed

Update--
We traveled for 2 months --our first outing with the Eggcamper. The spare tire under the bed worked out fine. We will be leaving the spare under the bed. And it freed up space to put lightweight folding chairs behind the hanging clothes in the front closet--very handy.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper