Boler 1300 original gaucho - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
Boler 1300 original gaucho

Hi all, the PO of my Boler changed the gaucho to a permanent couch. I would like to go back to the original bunk set up. Could someone post what the top bunk/couch back looks like? And some shots of hardware? I have the support poles,(thanks redbaron) but thats all I have.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I think there may be a few minor differences, but I believe Scamp's set-up is pretty much the same. I posted some details and pictures in this thread (see post #4). Hope it helps!

The biggest thing is whether you still have the support ledge under the front window, and if so, whether it is still sound.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 AM   #3

Florida
Thank you Jon. This shows me everything I need to restore the bunks. I plan to use the top bunk as an extra workspace/counter when needed. It was so kind of you to collect this all in one place.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The biggest thing is whether you still have the support ledge under the front window, and if so, whether it is still sound.
Hi Lisa,

I replaced my ledge with African Paduck resin wood. It is so heavy it will not float (or absorb water). I removed the insulation under the window (that was already loose from the moisture). Next I scuffed the fiberglass with #80 grit paper with a disc grinder (DONT! go too deep as the glass is less than 1/8" total thickness. Make a cardboard template that exactly matches the curvature of the under window location of the new wood. Use epoxy resin and hardener to glue the wood to the camper. Reinforce the underside of the wood with two or three layers of fiberglass and activated resin. Sand the wood and glass reinforcement. Coat with clear resin, trim and re-glue the insulation. I think the result will make you proud.
If you have any doubts there are many videos of working with fiberglass. Just don't forget to wear safety equipment, Glasses, Dust mask, protect your hands with latex gloves. I did not have any upper bunk and did not like the idea of loose poles so I built a hinged upper bunk with built in legs. Take a look at some of the photos posted here.

flickrhivemind.net/User/Marty Smiltneek/Interesting

I have several projects on there including a plywood template of the hinge I made for the upper bunk shelf. Also a couple of photos of the upper bunk shelf. BTW the air conditioner did not work well and was taken out in favor of drawers that I will build this summer if I get time.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

Florida
Marty, this is a really nice setup. Thanks for sharing your work.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Direct link: http://flickrhivemind.net/User/Marty...ek/Interesting
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1978
I have a front bunk seat back you can have! it is in near perfect condition with original gold plaid covering I am in coastal Maryland. It is from my 1978 13'er.. Reach me at sophie8534@gmail.com
Carolyn Eck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler