Found Scamp 7" LED Tail light replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Found Scamp 7" LED Tail light replacement

I'm thrilled with my new 7" LED tail lights for my Scamp 13. They are an exact size replacement for the original wedding-cake 7" round lights. They are Doran 7" school bus LED stop, turn, tail lights from https://www.doranmfg.com/ledlighting_buslights.htm. The photo is the right side mounted on the Scamp. I had to drill new mounting holes and installed with 1" 8X32 stainless steel machine screws with a washer and nut on the inside. Of course I had to remove the benches to get to the wiring and mount the lights. On the left side I was able to mount the license plate bracket on the lower mounting screw. I still need to find a LED license plate light, but I wanted to wait and see how these mounted before I purchased one.

The back side has a closed-cell foam gasket, three wires soldered to the circuit board (including ground), and the circuit board is fully encased in plastic or resin of some sort.

I know some LED tail lights require an electronic flasher rather than the stock thermal flasher, but my Explorer has the factory towing package and separate fuses and wiring for the tail lights and they worked fine with no modification to the flasher.

They were a little more than I would have liked to have spent, but I am pleased with how the look and work.

I have also redone the side lights with LED fixtures and will soon replace the 12V interior and porch lights with LED bulb replacements..

Other mods to the camper are here - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-42209.html

- Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Doran7inchlightmounted.jpg   Doran7inchlightback.jpg  

BruceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Also here https://www.empirechromeshop.com/p-1...bus-light.aspx

7 inch Round Transit LED Turn Signal Light, 31 Diode, Red

$25.20 here Trailer Parts Superstore - LED 7" Round Red Vehicle / Trailer Transit Light #STL-90RB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
<cut> Of course I had to remove the benches to get to the wiring and mount the lights. <cut>
- Bruce
Bruce thanks for posting these as I have been looking LLED replacements for my wedding cake lights as well.

I am wondering though why you had to remove the benches to mount them? Can you not just use the wires that are already in place from the old lights?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Grote also makes 7" LEDs that will fit. I remember Con used them on his Boler. Grote makes school bus lighting and etc.)

Grote The First Name In Vehicle Safety Systems

With a quick perusal, I would guess these to be the ones (but I am not sure so double check before taking my word for it).

http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=53422
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Best price I found was at etrailer.com for $13.95 each.
Name:   ST90RB_3_50.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  5.3 KB
7" Round Transit Stop and Tail Light - Red Optronics Trailer Lights ST90RB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Bruce thanks for posting these as I have been looking LLED replacements for my wedding cake lights as well.

I am wondering though why you had to remove the benches to mount them? Can you not just use the wires that are already in place from the old lights?
There is no room at the back of the light unit for any wire connections because it is low profile and lays flat, so the connections must be made inside or pushed through whatever hole you have into the the body. It was easier to make all of the connections inside. Also the lights were mounted with machine screws with the nuts on the inside. I could not get behind the water take to do that. The benches on the Scamp come out very easily - just a few screws.

I guess I didn't search long enough for other vendors of the lights. It looks like I could have save a few $, but I'm still happy with these.

- Bruce
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Yes, but these use an 1157 bulb and I wanted LEDs. That's why I went with the Doran lights, even though they were more expensive.
- Bruce
Old 07-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Wallmart

Wallmart now carries the 7" round LED for $15 and the side marker lights for $5. Getting cheaper all the time. I about blinded myself when I hit the "try me" button LOL!
Steve
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Being seen (especially during daylight hours) is paramount! You'd think anyone following a big ole white "box" would notice when brakes are applied. That's NOT always the case. Do yourself a huge favor and swap out those old skool wedding cake lenses for the bright LEDs. There are no do-overs when it comes to an accident. Stay safe!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
7" round LED Tail lights

I sell these for $25.99 each, any order over $50.00 are shipped free in the US. Look at FiberglassTravelTrailersRV.com
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Princess Auto

Princess Auto have the 7 inch LED "Bus" lights right now for $19.99, bought a set...big difference.

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
Has anybody tried an LED 1157 bulb replacement in the original fixture?

I just got done polishing the reflectors & lenses, and replaced all the screws w/ shiny new SS ones. Looks good & original, so I don't wanna throw that away, but I do like the low amp draw of the LED lights.
FJ40Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ40Jim View Post
Has anybody tried an LED 1157 bulb replacement in the original fixture?.
I did but they were a disappointment compared to what I had already seen on other trailers that had the full replacement lights. The brightness was only around the very middle of the lens not balanced out over the whole lens so it really wasnt much of an improvement. The scamp lens on my trailer where actually in very good condition. Ended up biting the bullet and purchasing the full replacement lights posted above from Chuck and couldnt be happier with them. The cost of the full light replacement was actually about the same as what I paid at a local automotive shop for just the bulb replacement so I wouldnt waste your money on it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #14

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
I picked up some LEDs from princess auto as well. I'm REALLY happy with the improvement over the stock lights. The stock lights look neat, but just didn't put out the light the LEDs do.

I used nuts and bolts on mine rather than screws. Overkill sure, but looks like it was it came that way.

Next task is to drill out the old rivets and scrape away the silicon that was put on to stop a leak around there. The leak was caused by the fact that some of the old rivets broke free. Part of owning an old trailer I guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120726_184728.png
Views:	42
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	49308
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
FYI:

the Etrailer fixtures mentioned above are incandescent, and the LED options mentioned feature 31 diodes.

Superbrightleds.com also sells 7" bus lights, but with 61 diodes. $29.95.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #16

Name: Elly
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Wisconsin
Bruce would you explain the four wires on the Scamp as opposed to the three lights on the Doran 7". Someone posted the green should be connected to the black on the light, red to red, and ground. We tried this and it didn't work. On the original light, the red and green went into the same lamp and the black to the other plus the white ground wire. Wish we could figure this out as we spent plenty on the lights and the shipping. Any help is appreciated.
EllyArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #17

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
Nlife.... I like how yours are recessed like that. My 77 had the 4in block lights, and you're right you couldn't see them... I put new auto stocks on that have a good illumination. I am debating on putting in a 3rd light higher up just below the window for stupid people...

Heather
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyArt View Post
Bruce would you explain the four wires on the Scamp as opposed to the three lights on the Doran 7"...
The wiring was a bit of a challenge to figure out because the wiring from the vehicle is one set of colors, the Scamp wiring is another set of colors and the light is different still.
I am attaching a photo of the wiring diagram with my pencil notes. I hope you can figure it out.
Left to right
Vehicle > Scamp > Tail Light
Green > Brown > Red on the Right light
Yellow > Red > Red on the Left light
Brown > Green > Black on both lights
White (ground) > Gray on the drawing > to the ground for the light.

I added a separate license plate light.

I am also planning to switch to 7-pin wiring on the vehicle some day so I also indicated the future wiring for the brakes and back-up lights.

I hope this helps. (image attached)
- Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp1981Wiring.jpg  

Tags
scamp