Kim's 93 Scamp 13ft. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #61

Name: Kim
Trailer: Scamp
California
Table is in.

We also got the cabinet doors made and put on. Well except for the big one. I ran out of screws for the hinges so need to go buy some to finish that. Also didn't get enough brass knobs. Will have to wait till Tues. to go get those.

Here are the cover that covers the toilet. We were going to put a thin layer of foam over them, then find some material like the table seat covers and cover them with that. Now I am thinking of putting some thin paneling over them, stain them, then buy some big thow pillows and throw them on top and around the curve in the back. I think that would be more fun then just covered covers. LOL

I also installed some more lights. I wanted some 12 volt lights above the stove area and also at each table area.

Gosh darn dog got into the act. LOL

To be continued..
KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #62

California
All the cupboard doors in!! Just need to buy a handle for the utensil drawer.

Now that the wiring is ran for the new lights by the tables, I can finally glue the rat fur back up the roof and finish off the escape hatch trim.

We are almost ready to go camping. Actually I need to start going to yard sales to find some pots and pans and stuff that I can keep in it at all times. That and some other needed things here and there.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 PM   #63

California
I went shopping for the Scamp today.

Found some cushions for the front.

They are lighter then the table cushions so I bought some matching pillows for that area. Kind of ties it all in.

I also found a Scamp size broom and tea pot.

Then the store I work at had these guy's on sale for half off!! Couldn't resist.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #64

California
I did a little shopping today. Found some cushions for the front.

I still need to put paneling on the 2x4 frame and stain it, but at least we have cushions now.

They didn't match the factory cushions for the table, but I had a remedy for that. LOL

I also managed to find a broom and tea pot made just for a Scamp.

Then I found these guys! Couldn't resist at half off regular price!

The insides is almost done. Then we can turn our attention back to the outside.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #65

California
Not much to update on. Things kind of slowed down a bit because I found a different project I wanted hubby to work on for me. LOL That is done now and it is back to the Scamp.

Today we got the little side wall put back in. Had to remove it and put new paneling on it, then stain.

We also put some fiberglass resin on the two bench covers. That will help prevent unnessasary splinters later down the road. LOL Got to let them dry and then can put them back in and put the cushions back on. That will be the final time they have to be removed, except for when packing for camping

Next plan for me, but I need help, is to put the curtain rod holders on. I'm replacing all the old ones with new gold ones. Just need help with the pop riveting.

We are still waiting on the door to be fixed and returned to us, so for now the Scamp has to stay inside and also can't be washed. Once we get the door back we will move it back outside and I can finally power wash it and try buffing it out. Then I think the only thing left will be pulling the wheels and having them powder coated, and re doing the wheel bearings.

Hoping to go camping in it sometime in August or Sept. We'll see.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #66

California
Hey everyone. Long time no post. LOL

We took a little break from the Scamp. We went on vacation with the VW buses and had to get them ready to go and get packed. We are back on the Scamp now though.

Not much of an update though. Today we finally got it back in the garage and we took the old non wheeled tongue jack off and put a wheeled one on. We also took the wheels off and took the tires off the rims so we can take them down to my hubby's bead blaster that a friend has it his shop. Going to bead blast the rust and old paint off then see what's left and if all is good we will just paint them with rustoleum paint.

Look Ma, no feet! LOL

While we have the wheels off hubby will re pack the bearings and check the brakes.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #67

California
Made some progress last weekend.

Cleaned up the rims and painted them.

Bought new tires, and greased the bearings.

Installed the table between the new front seat area.

Installed the final window, and hubby tried to get creative and painted a red box. This is where the vent used to be and we took it out. Didn't want an A/C unit. Eventually I will try to find some vinyl stickers and do something inside the box with them.

Installed the final curtain rod.

Back on it's wheels.

to be continued.....
Old 08-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #68

California
I was finally able to give it a bath!!

Before

After,

The above pic is of it still wet. Once it drys it becomes dull again. Will start waxing it once I give it one more bath.

Before,

after,

Today I went and picked out some material for the curtains. A friend is going to sew them for me. I went with a solid color do to the many patterns in the cushions.

It's getting really close to being camp ready!!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #69

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Nice work, the outside cleaned up pretty good. I noticed the rust mark on the door, you might try a little soft scrub cleaner on it...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #70

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Did I see a Scamp with half its weight supported by the leveling jacks?

LOOK MA.. no bumper!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #71

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Did I see a Scamp with half its weight supported by the leveling jacks?
I noticed that too… could not only be bad for the trailer's frame, but could be really dangerous. Those leveling jacks do not have a pin or other form of positive stop. Mine have been known to pop out, which would be a really bad thing if someone happened to be working under the trailer at the time.

Be safe- use jack stands.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #72

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
OK Girlfriend,
You and hubby have been making serious progress. DON'T WAIT to hit that "Oh, we're now finished and complete" stage before you take it to the road.

Even companies like L.A. California-based Happier Camper, are putting their HC1 prototypes on the road while they're still waiting for the last of the detailed products to pull through to put them on the market.
You're doing an awesome job from chassis to specific details. As long as she's road ready (which she's pretty much there), hit the road and broaden your (and other fiberglass folk) experiences.

I'd be honored for you to pull your adventuring spirit to our rally on the East Coast this October:
Eggshells in The Outer Banks Fiberglass RV Rally

All the best
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #73

California
It's getting really close now. Basically just need to wire the plug onto the trailer wires so we can connect it to the car. We got the tail lights done today.

Also got the stove cover connected and the door seal on.

I went and picked out some material for the curtains and my friend is sewing them up for me. She made some for her Scamp so it should be fairly easy for her. LOL
Old 09-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #74

California
Well, it is pretty well ready for camping. Just need to finalize the screen (measure cut and sew to fit opening) and it will be a done deal. I have started to fill it with supplies and my friend got my curtains done for me.

We added a bar on the old awning brackets so we can use our BusDepot awning on it.

Here's a view of the inside with out curtains.

Trying some different storage ideas.

My "as seen on tv" screen.

And finally the curtains.

Now we have to wait for hubby's work to find another driver so hubby can take some time off.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #75

California
Not much to update on. It's pretty well ready to go. Just need to get some bedding and some cooking utensils. That and get my hubby to take time off work. LOL

I did modify my "As Seen On TV Screen". Cut it down to fit the door way. No real time use on it yet so I can't comment on how I like it. It is dog approved though. LOL

My hubby's employer finally hired another guy, so hopefully we can take the Scamp out for weekend here soon.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #76

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1444273966.992096.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	89469
Have loved watching your progress.

We added some closet shelving between the upper cabinets. Simply drill the holes at one end and puss in about two inches then pull back into the other cabinet about an inch. They haven't moved in ten years. Great for books, hats, rain gear, etc.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #77

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Looks great ready for the lake Casitas rally at the end of the month. Its close to home.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM   #78

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Amazing how these fiberglass trailers can be brought back to life. Congratulations on a job very well done.

I just don't understand how the previous owners could have allowed such deterioration and abuse to a valuable piece of equipment. I can only assume they did not know what they had.

May you have MANY years of enjoyment as reward for all your hard work, not to mention the potential pay-off if you decide to sell this little gem and start over. :-)

As an afterthought, you should take the little guy to the dealer who gave it to you and let them see your results. Maybe you have already done this, I know I would have. Also, if you go to any rallies, make sure you take your "before" photos - otherwise folks will be unable to visualize just how bad it was.

Again, congratulations. I envy and admire those of you who have the talents and determination to accomplish these types of projects.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #79

Name: Jeannie
Trailer: Casita 17' Liberty Deluxe
Washington
Congratulations to you both. You've done an amazing job restoring this Scamp; from pitiful to Perfect!
JeanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #80

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
Nice panel truck in the background. What is it a 53 - 56?

Tags
scamp