2015 Scamp Deluxe Sewage Pipe Breaks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 AM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 16' Oak Deluxe Layout A - "Kiwi"
Maryland
Repair has held up fine

Repair has held up fine for almost a year now.
mgellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Primer /Cleaner

When we first started using PVC conduit for traffic signals and street lighting , we often had glued joints pull apart. We soon discovered that you needed to use cleaner / primer before attempting to make a glue joint . Most codes now require the use of a purple / colored primer so the inspector can visually tell that the joint was primed.
Looking at the DWV piping in my and others trailers , I have never seem any indication that the joints were primed / cleaned before gluing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can now purchase Primer without coloring should you have a project that you do not want to ugly up with the purple dye.

I also use Cleaner B 4. Using the clear primer and glue.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #24

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Yes it is important to break the gloss on PVC pipe before gluing. The fittings are very glossy. Before they sold the purple primer we used MEK to etch the gloss. It takes about 30 seconds of swirling with a wet dauber brush to break down the shine. The pipe will clean faster due to a more porous surface.
Another hint is to apply cement to the socket first, and then do the spigot. The cement does not dry as fast inside the socket due to the concentrated fumes. This give you more time to work, which is critical on large sized pipe on warm days.
Work fast and push the pieces together until hitting bottom, and quickly give the part a quarter turn. If the part requires orientation, plan your quarter turn accordingly.
If done like above it will never leak, and won't fall apart.
If assembling ABS Black pipe you omit the primer, as the cement has adequate solvent to etch the pipe. You have to be quick to get your quarter turn with this stuff as it goes off fast!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I preassemble the parts ( Pipe - Fittings) . When I have the parts in the proper alignment , I put alignment marks on the fitting and the pipe with a permanent magic marker. Take the pieces apart , clean and glue the joint and twist until the marks are lined up .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp