Burro interior - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #21

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1983
Additional door lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike... View Post
Hi all !

Ive enjoyed looking through the posts at pictures of others mods and progress, so i thought I would share some from my recent Burro redo...
I wanted to stay away from carpet so I used alot of bamboo instead.
future plans include a icebox or fridge and maybe a small front dinette.
Mike,
I note in the photo of the door that you have what appears to be an additional door lock unit on the door, just above the original door latch. I'd be interested to hear/see what it is. It seems that most fiberglass trailer door latches do not support the door when latched. The bouncing of a trailer in motion puts much strain on the door hinges and supports and I assume is the cause for much door sagging. I find that in different temperatures the door and shell of the trailer expand and contracts enough that the door latch position varies by almost half an inch. Therefore with our trailer, an 83 Burro, I wouldn't want to use a latch that supports the door in precisely one position of hight. I'd like to come up with a latch that allows some up and down movement of the door that would include bumper springs that would restrict its travel.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this, James
James Bar. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #22

Name: mike
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bar. View Post
Mike,
I note in the photo of the door that you have what appears to be an additional door lock unit on the door, just above the original door latch. I'd be interested to hear/see what it is. It seems that most fiberglass trailer door latches do not support the door when latched. The bouncing of a trailer in motion puts much strain on the door hinges and supports and I assume is the cause for much door sagging. I find that in different temperatures the door and shell of the trailer expand and contracts enough that the door latch position varies by almost half an inch. Therefore with our trailer, an 83 Burro, I wouldn't want to use a latch that supports the door in precisely one position of hight. I'd like to come up with a latch that allows some up and down movement of the door that would include bumper springs that would restrict its travel.

Thanks for any thoughts you have on this, James
Hi James,

The lock you see is a surface mount lock I bought at HomeDepot. I was able to get a piece of wood inside the door shell for extra support behind it. It looks like there is about 1/4 inch of room for up and down movement in the latch housing (you could file it out a bit if more room was needed). I installed it in November and havn't had any trouble with fitment yet. I also reinforced the hinge area by drilling holes and injecting epoxy.
One of these days i'll get around to having keys made for the original lock!
mike... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #23

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi mike---LOVE LOVE LOVE your bamboo look!!! and i especially like how you have opened up the cubbies under the table/bed for easier storage access. great job!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #24

Name: Jeff & Sonya
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
That sounds nice,I would like to see pictures of that! My idea came from thatched roofs, we would backfill the interior side with water reeds for a natural ceiling treatment.
Mike, I am wondering how you did the interior walls? I am looking for an alternative to the foam and ensolite lining in my Scamp. Are your walls insulated?
Sonya in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #25

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Thanks. I wonder why he glued reflectix first. Is that because bamboo lets air through? It sounds like it's not that hard but...I might screw it up...hmmmm.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #26

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
The reflectix would be a chance to add a bit of insulation where the fiberglass is not doubled-up.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #27

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Mike - love the bamboo. Is it on the ceiling too? I want to replace old ceiling carpet in our UHaul. Did it come in a roll? How did you attach it? Any other folks out there with replacement ideas for my "ceiling"?
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Mike - love the bamboo. Is it on the ceiling too? I want to replace old ceiling carpet in our UHaul. Did it come in a roll? How did you attach it? Any other folks out there with replacement ideas for my "ceiling"?
Jane, Mike put up another post with details on his bamboo ceiling. It can be found here
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #29

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Burro interior

Thanks so much, I should have backtracked more! Love it.
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #30

Name: Marie
Trailer: 1983 Burro
Montana
What is it?

Thank you to all who replied to my question about the ceiling covering in my Burro. I have a lot to think about, now. Marie MLCW
MLCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #31

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Your burro interior!!

Quote:
Mine is a 1980

Lol ! Now i need to get to work on the exterior so I can take it camping this summer!
Awesome!! Amazing!!! Unbelievably gorgeous Mike!! WOW!!! You should be VERY proud of this work!!! O.M.G...i can't believe how beautiful it is!!! Stunning...really!! Thank you so so so much for sharing this with us!! WOW..this look takes me in a whole new direction!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #32

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:01 AM   #33

Florida
Your curtain rod on the door...

Quote:
Hi all !

Ive enjoyed looking through the posts at pictures of others mods and progress, so i thought I would share some from my recent Burro redo...
I wanted to stay away from carpet so I used alot of bamboo instead.
future plans include a icebox or fridge and maybe a small front dinette.
Hey Mike...this is probably a stupid question, buuuut...even the simplest things are baffling me at this point. HOW...did you attach that lil curtain rod, to the door please? And...the beautiful wooden trim that you used around the bamboo on the ceiling (& everywhere else too it looks like) ...did you screw it into the fiberglass...glue it around it...?? Thank you!!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #34

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarie View Post
Hey Mike...this is probably a stupid question, buuuut...even the simplest things are baffling me at this point. HOW...did you attach that lil curtain rod, to the door please? And...the beautiful wooden trim that you used around the bamboo on the ceiling (& everywhere else too it looks like) ...did you screw it into the fiberglass...glue it around it...?? Thank you!!
You likely won't be getting a response from Mike, he posted this thread back in 2011 and has not logged into the forum since the year 2012.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #35

Florida
Your burro interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You likely won't be getting a response from Mike, he posted this thread back in 2011 and has not logged into the forum since the year 2012.
ahhhh, thank you so much for telling me KCorbin!! Gotcha...welll that's too bad!

Tags
burro