Hi from Bill & Jeanie in NC - want to see an EggCamper - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #21

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
PS
We do carry a Buddy Heater and several small disposable propane tanks, for cold wx when dry camping, but we've not used the Buddy yet.
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #22

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
Hi Bill & Jeannie,

We initially dismissed the Eggcamper because of lack of propane. But reconsidered after seeing how many owners had installed propane in their Eggcamper. A good used 2012 came along and we bought it in Nov of last year and we've been very happy with it.

The frame tag on our lists 2500# GVWR. Our weighed at 2380# at the local truck stop with all our stuff in it and ready to go camping. Burt we are lightly loaded as we are towing with a 2014 Subaru Outback, which tos it very easily. Eggcamper is about 20% frontally larger Egg than Scamp or Casita, so we lose 1/2 of our mpg. It's averaged 16mpg since we left on Jan31. The car averages 32mpg without the trailer. Next year, We might just tow with a larger vehicle like a Tahoe or Small pickup and get almost 16mpg.

After weight and tow vehicle considerations were met, The #1 consideration was, and is still, the bed size. Eggcamper comes with a Full size bed, which can easily be modified to an almost Queen size bed. #2 is the 2 person dinette that you don't have to disassemble the bed to use. #3 is the Toilet/bath that we use very little, but's nice to have at night or when dry camping, or when far from the campground toilets.

in the end , I installed propane, but found almost no use for it, so I left the 20# tank and propane stove at home when we stopped mid-vacation. Supermarket deli/salads/entrée items, fast food, and the wonderful 12v fridge are our friends on this vacation, but others mileage may vary. We are sightseeing and staying no more than 4 nites at any one campground, and have little time to cook, even though I like to cook.

GL on whichever type you decide on

Mark & Linda
Mark & Linda
I agree with your three key attributes for the Egg Camper. Being tall I would add ceiling height. The main deal breaker for me was the realization that GVWR was only 2,500 rather than something closer to the 3,500 lb axle rating. I also wanted to make some improvements to the interior and realized that while I liked the appearance of the white gel coat inner panels, they also would make modifications very difficult.

We have recently been able to see an Escape 19 and a 'non egg' Safari Condo Alto. The workmanship was excellent on both but dry weight on the Alto over a thousand pounds less than the Escape. And we are still pondering whether we would prefer a class B based on a Ram Promaster or a camping trailer. Both have pros and cons but the van at 21' is quite parkable and for our lifestyle it is very convenient to have our dog kennel (& bathroom & kitchen) close by our daily activities. But more $ and another drive train to maintain.

Not an easy decision and we appreciate the thoughtful assistance of the group members.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #23

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post
Cathi
3,700lb sounds high for a unit the mfg claims ~2,600 for without options. What did your's weigh in at on the sale papers and what do you carry that is so heavy? I did talk to Escape and found a 19 just 15 miles away that I'm going to see tomorrow.
I just saw this. That is not our weight but the common loaded weight by others' figures. Ours is lower, however, you can forget that dry weight because any 19' coming out of the factory will likely weigh over 3000 with the "options," many of which you will "have to have." So owners usually have a TV with 5000 capacity or 4500. There are a few with lower.

Many use 4Runners or Pilots.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post
Mark & Linda
I agree with your three key attributes for the Egg Camper. Being tall I would add ceiling height. The main deal breaker for me was the realization that GVWR was only 2,500 rather than something closer to the 3,500 lb axle rating. I also wanted to make some improvements to the interior and realized that while I liked the appearance of the white gel coat inner panels, they also would make modifications very difficult.

We have recently been able to see an Escape 19 and a 'non egg' Safari Condo Alto. The workmanship was excellent on both but dry weight on the Alto over a thousand pounds less than the Escape. And we are still pondering whether we would prefer a class B based on a Ram Promaster or a camping trailer. Both have pros and cons but the van at 21' is quite parkable and for our lifestyle it is very convenient to have our dog kennel (& bathroom & kitchen) close by our daily activities. But more $ and another drive train to maintain.

Not an easy decision and we appreciate the thoughtful assistance of the group members.

Bill and Jeanie,

We also looked at some driveables. You would have less space that way and you are going to pay more for insurance and repairs. They are tempting though. They are easier to park.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #25

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Yes, the height was a consideration I forgot to mention. I'm only 5'10', but at Scamp Camp this past February, a man over 6'4" checked ours out and did not hit the overhead light I had installed. And the width is 7'3" inside!
On the FG Gel Coat interior--I have made some mods without a problem, but I guess major panel reconstruction would be a challenge. I could definately see myself going thru all the choices you've mentioned -- GL!
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper