Cpap and Oxygen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 1995 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hi all, just read all the past posts about cpaps and wondered if any one used oxygen with the Cpap while camping????? This is all new to me and I don't want to stop going out there just be cause I have to drag around some equipment. My husband says we have the battery power for the cpap with out the humidifier but DR wants me on a bit of oxygen with the at 4,000 ft or above. We do camp at the higher altitudes soooooooooo just wondering if anyone has a suggestion. So does anyone use an oxygen concentrator with their Cpap while camping.
Lee Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I know there are a few people here who use these machines. Hopefully they will chime in.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My wife and I both use CPAP machines and get by with the Casita battery and a backup power supply as indicated in other topic strings. Neither of us use oxygen but have had some experience with it through relatives. My mother had a machine but also ad a portable canister that did not require power. I think the canisters come in different capacities. I am thinking you could bring along one or two canisters and do without the machine. As I recall I had a mask at some point that had a port for the oxygen line although my current mask does not.

How this helps or spurs other discussion that will give you some alternatives.

Dave
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I have been on a CPAP for over 20yrs. I do not use oxygen. I do have an altitude compensating CPAP and have gone up to 9300ft+. My two AGM 220Ah batteries easily handle my CPAP and the humidifier all night via an inverter.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Quote:
Hi all, just read all the past posts about cpaps and wondered if any one used oxygen with the Cpap while camping????? This is all new to me and I don't want to stop going out there just be cause I have to drag around some equipment. My husband says we have the battery power for the cpap with out the humidifier but DR wants me on a bit of oxygen with the at 4,000 ft or above. We do camp at the higher altitudes soooooooooo just wondering if anyone has a suggestion. So does anyone use an oxygen concentrator with their Cpap while camping.
On both our previous Airstream (2 small WM deep cycle batteries) and our current U-Haul 13' (1 large WM deep cycle) I've used my cpap without the battery even noticing it. This fall we had 2 nights with my wife using her heating pad (bad back) and my cpap on battery. That and the furnace fan used about 1/2 of the two small batteries in the Airstream. Check what the O2 concentrator uses in terms of current draw. Add it to the cpap (which is almost nothing) times the hours of use and you should have a good idea of how long the battery will last with a safety factor.
Eric
Eric Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 1995 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks to all. I have taken the O2 canister with the demand nossel and believe that it is supposed to last 4 hours. Better than nothing and at least would have the constant (Cpap) flow of air with some O2. Thanks again and will give it a try next time we go out in our Casita. We'll be at Quartzsite in February and I probably won't need much O2 at that altitude. The test will be if we do the "Little Plastic Trailers" in March near Holbrook.
Happy Holiday to all
Lee
Lee Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American ('The USS NeverSail')
Registry
I'm a Respiratory Therapist and have dealt with CPAP devices with Oxygen added. I recommend you speak to your home care vendor. They usually can give you several options for how to be able to follow you physician's directions but minimize impact to you lifestyle. There are lots of options besides the oxygen concentrator when traveling. It all depends on how much oxygen is required and other factors in your health care. Good luck, I am sure they can help you.
Jaci
Old 12-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
I use my CPAP on batteries all the time without humidifier turn on never had a problem, my 2 120 ah batteries last 3 nights before recharge the only concern I would have with is using oxygen in a confined space with a pilot light on the stove or your furnace although oxygen is not flammable it does support burning and can be dangerous.
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #9

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Hi Lee,

Yes, I am requited to use the oxygen concentrator along with my C-PAP. A concentrator capable omitting 5 cc per minute does use a lot of power so I use my portable 12 dc portable along with my C-Pap. You have a large choice oif what to use. Not knowing what you travel in you can either use an investor of 1500 Watts or higher or purchase a Inverter generator that operates at 57 db and will run for 11 hours per 2 1/2 gal of gas, or use the power provided at an RV Camp with full hookups. either or, no real problem of tagging along your med equipment with you. When boondocking I use a 2000 Watt inverter with a 100mAmp Marine Deep Cel battery. No sense of losing out on all the beautiful scenery. Have a safe and and joyous trip and make beautiful and fond memories. Hope to see you all on the trail.

Yank
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Compact Jr
TX
I have been on a cpap for the last 7 years.
Best thing I ever did is to get the 12volt dc cables for my machines.
There is too much power loss using an inverter.
While I was a scoutmaster I tent camped with no power available, so I had to make do a 35amp battery and a 30 watt solar panel.
My current travel/backpack machine is a Z1, with the 12volt cord. It’s great, don’t buy the “power shell” it’s a lot of bucks for a small amp hour battery.

My mom is a copd patient, she uses a portable oxygen consecrator, it has a 2hr battery, and will run off a 12vdc power source. Can’t recall the name of it. But it’s the Medicare approved one.
She had a several hour power outage and plugged it in to a 12vdc deep cycle battery and it worked well.

Ron
basicfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen