Hi new Owner of a 1986 cadet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
Hi new Owner of a 1986 cadet

Hi there I'm Barb and my husband is Dan. We bought. 1986 13 foot cadet at the end of summer last year and are working on fixing it up. The front window was cracked and leaking and we lucked out this weekend with campkins rv in Brooklin Ontario having a sliding window that was a near perfect fit. I read about all the issues people have had with replacing Windows for these so felt this was our best option.

We have it all sealed up fiberglass repairs done and almost ready to paint the exterior. Interior has been pulled apart and we decided to try using the foam play mats as insulation on walls as we try to decide what to cover it with.

Have found this site very helpful for ideas as we have started the renovating process !
Jeepbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
interior renovations

HI - we have a 1989 Captain (same manufacturer, bigger trailer). We used closed-cell foam from a foam place in Kitchener. Came in roll. We used the glue recommended and used a sprayer for the glue with the intent of throwing it out when done rather than cleaning it. As these trailers have relatively flat surfaces, it is a lot easier than a Boler with all those curves. We then covered the foam with boat-hull liner from Len's Mill Store (we didn't know that was what it was until later). Will not mold or hold water. Some sort of synthetic. and reminiscent of corduroy. It was glued to the foam using the same glue. It is important to use glue that won't dissolve the foam.

Windows can be ordered from Europe. We have used gomarketplace.pl (poland camping supply on-line store). I also discovered that the Alto trailer from Quebec uses the same european acrylic windows and similar hinges and latches so you might be able to get windows ordered in from them if you want those. they have nice tinted ones. I think we might just get some auto window tint film and retrofit ours.

Post pix.

Hope to see you at Bolerama some year. Google to find it.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Window

Do you have any pictures of the window installed.I have a cracked front window and just looking at other options to replace it.
Lonnie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #4

Ontario
No pictures yet but will try and take some this weekend and try to post. We are trying to get enough of the lower interior walls done so we can go away this weekend which is quite he challenge when we both work all day lol
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 AM   #5

Name: Norm
Trailer: 1987 Cadet
Ontario
pictures of replacement window!!

I am also interested in pictures of your window replacement, my Cadet rear window is cracked, and the front one is starting to show signs of weakness.
-- Norm
Sennema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:43 AM   #6

Ontario
Here is a picture I took this week that shows the back window Dan had to cut a bit to make it fit properly and on the interior there is a thin wood frame that holds it in place due to the difference in thickness. The window has done great with no leaks or issues on our recent camping trips.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #7

Ontario
I can't figure out how to unload the picture lol lets try again
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 07-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
European vs North American windows

I never thought of this before, but someone at Bolerama this year pointed out to me that the European windows that open "up" have the advantage that when they are open, the rain doesn't come in (unless it is REALLY windy).

That was one thing they didn't like about the sliders on their trailer (don't know if it was a Boler or a Trillium or or or) - if they opened the windows, the rain came in and oftentimes you want to have the windows open,.

The European trailers all have much bigger roof hatches. I thought that was because they were required to serve as an escape hatch but that could be wrong.. Seems logical though.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #9

Ontario
Yes the window over the bed is the original that opens out and is fine in a light rain we had issues with rain coming in during heavier rain with the window only open a few inches on Canada day so are careful now. I did close the slider totally when it rained. We are thinking of brining a big tarp for next time to cover over it if it rains so we can keep Windows open more.

Tags
cadet