Any experience with Ford Escape 2.0L? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2016, 05:13 AM   #61
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Different vehicle altogether, Don't know about how it affects the retail, but the price between the van and the wagon is negligible.
The new generation of Connect is built in Valencia Spain, but there is serious talk of Louisville,KY. Whadaya bet the price don't drop?
BTW, they now start at about 22,000 dollars, and max out around 31.(list)
You can buy a 2016 off the lot for under 20 otd, but you can't get a straight deal on custom ordering a 2017.
I drive a hard bargain or I drive what I drove in, so I may never really buy another new car again.
Ranger wherefore art thou?
Sorry, I don't understand. Different than what?

If you buy one you'll have to learn to drive an automatic and I bet there are lots of "nannies". My CRV has a seat belt buzzer that requires major surgery to disable. The best deal will be on a left over sitting on the lot in January. Ford is selling less than 5000 a month so there is a chance.

I looked at one of these for possible conversion. They are a nice size. That's probably why I see them everywhere around town. Just right for small business, etc. As for towing, no thanks. Not enough get up and go for me.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:02 AM   #62

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think I remember that the Transit Connect max towing is 2500 lbs, but at my age who can be sure?
This was one reason I went with the Town and Country at 3500 lbs with the V6.
One reason for the popularity of the smaller vehicles is that most of us drive more without the trailer than with. I was looking for a capable vehicle to replace my capable VW TDI Diesel which pulled the 16' Scamp easily.
The Ford escape in Europe is rated 4500 lbs but again with the Ford 2.0 liter Diesel.
It's the torque that does the pulling. I haven't yet towed with the T&C so I don't know how it will compare with the VW yet.
I understand that the T&C in Europe has a diesel option and that would be nice for towing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #63
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I think I remember that the Transit Connect max towing is 2500 lbs, but at my age who can be sure?
This was one reason I went with the Town and Country at 3500 lbs with the V6.
One reason for the popularity of the smaller vehicles is that most of us drive more without the trailer than with. I was looking for a capable vehicle to replace my capable VW TDI Diesel which pulled the 16' Scamp easily.
The Ford escape in Europe is rated 4500 lbs but again with the Ford 2.0 liter Diesel.
It's the torque that does the pulling. I haven't yet towed with the T&C so I don't know how it will compare with the VW yet.
I understand that the T&C in Europe has a diesel option and that would be nice for towing.
2000 lbs and I doubt they have travel trailers in mind
Old 11-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #64

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Say what you will, but I am going to buy another truck next year for towing. My old '01 F150 with the minimum tow capacity of 5400#s towed the Parkliner effortlessly up any kind of slope. We will keep the Escape for general driving, and towing our utility trailer and small power boat. We don't go very far with either of those anyways!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #65

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Frank, Your plan to go with a real tow vehicle like the Ford F-150 is the correct way to go!!
I might suggest you get the 4 door model for a lot of reasons but mostly........
"Happy wife= Happy life".
I have a friend who tows a monster camping trailer (stickie) with the Ford F-150 6 cylinder
Eco-Boost and is a happy camper...plenty of power and torque and fairly good gas mileage.

Too many folks here trying to push the limits when selecting tow vehicles. It never made sense to me. A proper tow vehicle should have plenty of weight. Never a good idea to have the tail wagging the dog.
One point worth considering...both Toyota (Tacoma)and Nissan (Frontier) have a tow rating of 6,500 pounds and have good gas mileage. Both are highly rated for reliability.
My last Tacoma went for over 290,000 miles and is still on the road today. My current Toyota FJ Land cruiser (V6/269HP) 5 speed automatic is towing a 26ft. Travel trailer and I hardly know it is back there!!!...150,000 trouble free miles and counting. My policy is buy what is engineered to last more than 300,000 miles without any major failures.
Read Comsumer Report to compare reliability and check their list of vehicles "NOT RECCOMMENDED" before you buy.

If I had to buy a truck today I'd look at both Toyota and Ford in that order.

Good Luck and Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #66

North Carolina
Raz, If my memory is correct the Transit Connect is an import from Turkey from the same plant that produced the "HUGO". They may be made in Spain...more research required. Could be two different vans from two different countries or some parts made in Turkey and finished in Spain.
This van is showing up in the U.S. Under various names and sold by Ford, Dodge and others....only time will tell how they score in reliability over time.

Jeep is selling the Renegade a cute little 4X4 and the folks think they are getting a Jeep...it is in fact a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) import (Fiat 500) with Jeep sheet metal.

Hard to tell what your buying in today's global marketplace !
"Buyer Beware"....Sour milk may look like cream!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #67

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Thanks Patrick!

We're not tied to any one manufacturer, but cannot afford brand spankin new, so will be looking for something with under (hopefully well under) 100,000 miles and in decent shape. Haven't talked in detail with the little woman yet, but maybe 20 grand? My F150 with 94,000 miles when I bought it was 5 grand. We'll be looking in the summer.

Been working on my hot rod, that takes cash! This is just the bottom and sides of the chassis I have been smoothing out when I have time.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Frank, Your plan to go with a real tow vehicle like the Ford F-150 is the correct way to go!!
I might suggest you get the 4 door model for a lot of reasons but mostly........
"Happy wife= Happy life".
I have a friend who tows a monster camping trailer (stickie) with the Ford F-150 6 cylinder
Eco-Boost and is a happy camper...plenty of power and torque and fairly good gas mileage.

Too many folks here trying to push the limits when selecting tow vehicles. It never made sense to me. A proper tow vehicle should have plenty of weight. Never a good idea to have the tail wagging the dog.
One point worth considering...both Toyota (Tacoma)and Nissan (Frontier) have a tow rating of 6,500 pounds and have good gas mileage. Both are highly rated for reliability.
My last Tacoma went for over 290,000 miles and is still on the road today. My current Toyota FJ Land cruiser (V6/269HP) 5 speed automatic is towing a 26ft. Travel trailer and I hardly know it is back there!!!...150,000 trouble free miles and counting. My policy is buy what is engineered to last more than 300,000 miles without any major failures.
Read Comsumer Report to compare reliability and check their list of vehicles "NOT RECCOMMENDED" before you buy.

If I had to buy a truck today I'd look at both Toyota and Ford in that order.

Good Luck and Happy Camping !
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #68

North Carolina
If you are looking for a used truck do what I do (I'm a former Toyota salesman).... Check Toyota delalers lots for a "Certified" used Tacoma or Tundra. Certified vehicles come with a 100,000 mile extended warranty on the drive train...you will pay a little bit more but the truck you buy will out last most On the road.

Being retired buying any car or truck used is out of the question....with the huge supply of "lease turn ins" with low mileage finding what you want should be easy. You will discover that Toyotas cost more for one good reason...THEY LAST and are RELIABLE....Consumer Reports agrees and gives them their "Best Buy" rating about 99% of the time.

My 10 year old FJ Landcruiser still runs and drives like it is new. It has spent many hours off road on hunting and fishing trips and has towed a 4,500 pound travel trailer all over the country. I have replaced the tires, changed the oil, changed out the battery after 8 years, replaced the windshield wipers a few times....150,000 miles and counting...no plans on replacing it any time soon.

My old Tacoma pickup is still on the road...I sold it to a landscaping contractor from South America and it is still working everyday.
This legal South American immigrant explained to me that all they drive in his home country is Toyota and Diahustu (another Japaneese import never sold in U.S.) pickup trucks and Toyota Corollas....interesting.

My policy is simple...buy quality and keep it a minimum of 10+ years.
Tires, oil changes and windshield wipers cost a lot less than a new truck.
Take the money you save and go camping.

Happy Camping
Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #69

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
2000 lbs and I doubt they have travel trailers in mind
AHH! but some buyers have minds of their own!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #70

Registry
Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand. Different than what?

If you buy one you'll have to learn to drive an automatic and I bet there are lots of "nannies". My CRV has a seat belt buzzer that requires major surgery to disable. The best deal will be on a left over sitting on the lot in January. Ford is selling less than 5000 a month so there is a chance.

I looked at one of these for possible conversion. They are a nice size. That's probably why I see them everywhere around town. Just right for small business, etc. As for towing, no thanks. Not enough get up and go for me.
I found a few leftovers which were close to my option list but no match. By the time they start to cooperate on the purchase of a 2017, maybe the new Unicorn (Err...I mean Ranger)will be available!
Still I like the shortbox XLT van. It is almost 2ft shorter and has a cargo interior so it is quicker and handles better than the long box or the wagon.
Big problem may be my reluctance to sell my Ranger which works well and was built to my spec. I like antique vehicles, but maybe not a whole fleet of antiques... or maybe so!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #71
Raz

Quote:
AHH! but some buyers have minds of their own!
I've come to the conclusion that if the tow package comes with a 4 pin, and the dealer/ manufacturer won't help with the rest and even suggests adding the charge and brake lines might void the warranty, then despite a high tow rating, a travel trailer is not what they have in mind. Perhaps they are trying to sell you something bigger or perhaps they know the capabilities of the vehicle. i don't know?

I towed my Trillium with a 4 cylinder. I didn't like the lack of power. There are places I drive where it's nice to be able to get out of the way. There's nothing that will fill your shorts quicker than a semi getting closer in the mirror and the gas pedal ignores you.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #72

Registry
Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that if the tow package comes with a 4 pin, and the dealer/ manufacturer won't help with the rest and even suggests adding the charge and brake lines might void the warranty, then despite a high tow rating, a travel trailer is not what they have in mind. Perhaps they are trying to sell you something bigger or perhaps they know the capabilities of the vehicle. i don't know?

I towed my Trillium with a 4 cylinder. I didn't like the lack of power. There are places I drive where it's nice to be able to get out of the way. There's nothing that will fill your shorts quicker than a semi getting closer in the mirror and the gas pedal ignores you.
Federal law eliminates the threat of voiding the warranty for aftermarket mods, unless they can prove direct cause.
I haven't yet seen a Semi from which my Escape could not "escape".
I make a point of knowing the capabilities of my vehicles before the check is written.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #73
Raz

Quote:
Federal law eliminates the threat of voiding the warranty for aftermarket mods, unless they can prove direct cause.
Only if you can afford the lawyer. They can do anything the want. Most of us take our losses.

Quote:
I haven't yet seen a Semi from which my Escape could not "escape".
I make a point of knowing the capabilities of my vehicles before the check is written.
Your entering the interstate with your trailer in tow and they're doing 75. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #74

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Any experience with Ford Escape 2.0L?

Quote:
Only if you can afford the lawyer. They can do anything the want. Most of us take our losses.
Personally, I don't think there'd be anything to fight. If you ask to see the exclusion in writing in the terms of the warranty, I'll bet the conversation ends right there.

Quote:
Your entering the interstate with your trailer in tow and they're doing 75. Good luck.
I drive regularly with my trailer on interstates with a speed limit of 75 mph, and I really think this is a non-issue. First, surprisingly few semis go the full 75mph. Second, those speeds are in rural areas that aren't congested. 95% of trucks will move over to allow you to merge. Third, even marginally powered vehicles are capable of a short burst of high-RPM power to get a rig up to a reasonable merging speed.

Scarier to me is the speed differential when I am towing at 62-65 and trucks are going 70-75. But that has nothing to do with the size of my tow vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #75

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Raz, If my memory is correct the Transit Connect is an import from Turkey from the same plant that produced the "HUGO". They may be made in Spain...more research required. Could be two different vans from two different countries or some parts made in Turkey and finished in Spain.
This van is showing up in the U.S. Under various names and sold by Ford, Dodge and others....only time will tell how they score in reliability over time.

Jeep is selling the Renegade a cute little 4X4 and the folks think they are getting a Jeep...it is in fact a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) import (Fiat 500) with Jeep sheet metal.

Hard to tell what your buying in today's global marketplace !
"Buyer Beware"....Sour milk may look like cream!!!
Many of my favorite authors have received a "HUGO" at one time or another!
I think the "YUGO" was a product of Yugoslavia.
The second gen Connect is a Ford built product on the Focus platform.
The Chevrolet City Express is a Nissan NV200.
The Ram Promaster City is a Fiat Doblo.
The Mercedes Metris is a Mercedes.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #76
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I drive regularly with my trailer on interstates with a speed limit of 75 mph, and I really think this is a non-issue.
Ever drive the New Jersey Turnpike. It will quickly become an issue.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #77

Registry
Quote:

I buy Fords, so I have never needed a warranty, but any dealer hates to deny warranty claims anyway, since they get paid well for covered work.

Entering an Interstate is admittedly a bit different with a trailer than with a Mustang, but the process is the same, pick a spot and put your vehicle into it.
Still... no "luck" required to get the Escape/Scamp13 combo to whatever speed is needed to merge responsibly, even in heavy traffic.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM   #78

Registry
Quote:
Ever drive the New Jersey Turnpike. It will quickly become an issue.
No worries "they've all gone to look for America"!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #79

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks Patrick!

We're not tied to any one manufacturer, but cannot afford brand spankin new, so will be looking for something with under (hopefully well under) 100,000 miles and in decent shape. Haven't talked in detail with the little woman yet, but maybe 20 grand? My F150 with 94,000 miles when I bought it was 5 grand. We'll be looking in the summer.

Been working on my hot rod, that takes cash! This is just the bottom and sides of the chassis I have been smoothing out when I have time.

Frank
When I went looking for a new or newer truck , I soon discovered that used trucks are not that much less expensive than a new truck.
A used 3 year old truck with 50 or 60 K miles was only 3 grand less than a new one .
I bought a new truck with a V8 and the options I wanted for 25 K OTD ( MSRP was $36K) . For me getting a brand new truck was worth the little extra cost plus my luck with used vehicles has not been good.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:03 AM   #80

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Shopping
California
Every state in the US ,with the exception of maybe 2 or 3, require brakes on any tow over 3000 lbs. ( I think that's correct)
Why would Ford Escape not include a 7 pin ?
Even staying under the 2000# limit ,I wouldn't be able to pull out of my driveway !
Why sell something that can when it's illegal to .

GirlGone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford escape