Colorado: Jeep Comanche and Quantum 5 combo, $6,500obo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel (by Contempo)
Colorado: Jeep Comanche and Quantum 5 combo, $6,500obo

Hello,

I have decided to part ways with my 1980 (I think) Quantum 5 and our Jeep Comanche tow-rig. Thought I would try to sell them both as a combo to start with.

Truck:
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4x4
4.0, manual trans, np231
Longbed
Dana 30 front, 35 rear, 3.07 gears
5th wheel hitch with wiring
approx 125k miles (low mileage)
Passed emissions last month with flying colors.
No major mechanical issues, this is a great truck in really, really good condition.

Camper:
RARE 1980 Quantum 5 by Contempo.
Build # 25, with reports indicating that the company only had only 500 total serial numbers allocated/approved. Actual number built is suspected to be far less than that.
This is a 17 foot, tandem axle camper with fiberglass sides and top (makes it very light and easy to tow, only ~1,700 lbs). It has two beds, fridge, shower, bathroom, kitchen sink, stove, microwave, and dining area. Interior is in amazing shape... like new.
A blurb in Consumer Reports from 1980 showed the trailer being towed behind an El Camino, but it is right at home behind the Comanche. We also have a 98 Dakota that we have used to tow it as well, works perfect.

I have a few pics up on my craigslist posting right now (1988 Comanche and a 5th wheel camper) ; I have a lot more (and larger) pics going up on that posting soon. There are also some pics on this site, just search for my posts to view them.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Nice looking combo!

John
Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Nice looking combo!

John
Thanks! When we got them (also bought as a combo) we had no idea the quantums were as rare as they are. Its been great to us, but we won't really be able to get any use out of it for the next two or three years, so its time to sell.

Feel free to let me know if there are any questions I can answer!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #4

Name: PDowning
Trailer: "Currently Shopping"
OK
Nice Camper

Does the Camper have AC?
  1. Did you post the pics? Couldn't locate them.
  2. Camper and Tow Vehicle are both good looking.
  3. Still for sale?
  4. Located in Colorado?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looks like AC on the roof in the pictures posted here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-42937.html
Craigslist listing says located in Parker which is on the SE edge of Denver according to Google and Wikipedia
Old 11-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: in the market
New York
Combo

Evening,
Does your state have Temp plates available for transport of a vehicle?
Where can I see some pictures of inside?
Thanks...
Tony
New York
Old 11-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

I have some more pics of the trailer located at:
Picasa Web Albums - 11430551412430805... - Drop Box

and some more of the truck at:
Picasa Web Albums - 11430551412430805... - fwcommanchepics

I believe that CO does authorize temp plates. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions I can answer!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #8

New York
Evening,
Was informed by CO. DMV of all the proper paperwork to submit for temp. plates to transport BUT it was still at the DMV discretion if they wanted to issue the plates.
Shame can't think of any deal with this uncertainty in transporting.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #9

You should be able to piggy back both on a registered trailer or use and auto hauler service.

Or see if the registered owner will drive them to you.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

New York
Thought of shipping but $$$$........ but would be so easy to fly out from New York and drive back and enjoy the country at the same time.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You should be able to piggy back both on a registered trailer or use and auto hauler service.

Or see if the registered owner will drive them to you.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #11

Maybe Merlin would like to take a drive to NY with his gas and flight home paid for.
Alternatively, can you get temp plates from NY?
Any friends that have dealer plates?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #12

We are more than willing to work with you on various methods of shipping or registration/temp tags...
Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #13

Name: PDowning
Trailer: "Currently Shopping"
OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Klotz View Post
We are more than willing to work with you on various methods of shipping or registration/temp tags...

Have you sold your camper and Commanche? I have been wondering about the status

I will appreciate your letting me know. Thanks Much!

Paula
Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #14

Name: Curt
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b21FB
Texas
I haven't heard back from you on the actual condition of some of the key parts of the trailer. The only email reply I've received was ten days ago. My second email with additional questions was over a week ago and has not been addressed. Since you have checked in through PM on this forum, I thought I might try you here.

During the interim I have been in contact with, likely, the only person that actually owns two of these and has talked at length with the 92 year old owner of the coach works company that built the Quantum 5. I've learned so much more about the Quantum 5 from that conversation.

My main concern after learning more about the construction of the Quantum 5 involves the condition of the floor near the sink, door, and around the fender wells. The damage, which is common in these areas cannot be seen from underneath the trailer but can be quite extensive requiring a complete rebuild of the floors for support. Have you checked those areas and what is the condition of the floor?

Please feel free to reply by email (the same one you replied to previously) or here on the forum. Thanks very much. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #15

We have had two deaths in the family, so I apologize that I have not been able to answer your questions in 10 whole days. In the future, I would appreciate if you changed the tone of your communications. I am as interested in selling as you may be in buying, and I will continue to respond to everyone's emails, PM's, and calls as I am able.

Yes, this trailer and truck are still available.
Yes, I am willing to separate if needed.
To the best of our knowledge, there is ZERO damage to the trailer, and no repairs are necessary except perhaps a new fridge, as it is the original gas fridge and is a little tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heycurt View Post
I haven't heard back from you on the actual condition of some of the key parts of the trailer. The only email reply I've received was ten days ago. My second email with additional questions was over a week ago and has not been addressed. Since you have checked in through PM on this forum, I thought I might try you here.

During the interim I have been in contact with, likely, the only person that actually owns two of these and has talked at length with the 92 year old owner of the coach works company that built the Quantum 5. I've learned so much more about the Quantum 5 from that conversation.

My main concern after learning more about the construction of the Quantum 5 involves the condition of the floor near the sink, door, and around the fender wells. The damage, which is common in these areas cannot be seen from underneath the trailer but can be quite extensive requiring a complete rebuild of the floors for support. Have you checked those areas and what is the condition of the floor?

Please feel free to reply by email (the same one you replied to previously) or here on the forum. Thanks very much. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #16

Name: Curt
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b21FB
Texas
I'm truly sorry to hear of your family losses and that you feel that there is some sort of "tone" to my attempt to follow up with you. It's very understandable,now, that you may have had little time to reply.

But, since I had not received any additional emails or a call to the phone number that I had provided; I thought my multiple emails were going in your spam folder.

I'm sure you will have success in selling the Quantum 5. All the best to you from me in Texas.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #17

Thank you. Please let me know if you are still interested, and I will give you a call later this week. Otherwise, I will probably just ebay the camper combo. Thanks,
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #18

Trailer: Rockwood Pop-up
Haven't been on here in a while. Very interested in your combo. Do you think you could pull a 17' Crestliner behind it with a possible change in tow vehicle? I noticed on another board where you had posted that someone towed a Bass Tracker behind theirs.
Also, tell me about the Comanche. I am not familiar with this vehicle, how many miles, rust, etc.
Thanks much.
Ruth Ready
Old 11-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #19

Trailer: Rockwood Pop-up
Sorry, now I see where you listed the mileage of the pickup. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #20

There is about 130,000 miles on it. It has a brand new radiator, oil changes with syn blend every 3k miles, and no rust. It is our third Comanche, and we love them for their durability, simpleness, and extremely inexpensive parts (shares mechanicals with the XJ Cherokee, so parts from most cherokees fit, or can be made to fit).

It would have no problem towing the Crestliner. With a class III hitch it is rated to tow 5000 pounds, and all info I see on the crestliner indicated a 1050lb weight (plus trailer).

Tags
quantum