1978 13' (NeoNex) Boler Restoration - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
1978 13' (NeoNex) Boler Restoration

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would chronicle this project on here, both for info and (more importantly) to shamelessly request help and tips from you all...

Below are the pics from when I picked it up from the seller, it's been totally gutted down to the shell and frame (with a few pipes, vents, etc. left). Sorry the pics aren't great, I'll take some better ones of the different issues and repairs needed as I have time.

The plan is to restore this over time into a bed and bunk model (ie. no mechanical items other than lighting). Our family enjoys doing all the other parts of camping outside and we just want a clean, comfortable and "off the ground" place to sleep...

Step 1
I towed it back to my garage and, in the process, realized that even the exterior tail lights had been gutted.... I guess I'm starting with wiring....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2269.jpg   IMG_2270.jpg  

IMG_2271.jpg   IMG_2272.jpg  

IMG_2274.jpg   IMG_2275.jpg  

IMG_2276.jpg  
RobK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
That is kind of the way mine started. What I found is that it had sagged a little even over a short time. You might want to check to see how your door fits now. If there are any issues with it, try jacking the roof up a little at a time and see if you can get it back into proper place. I didn't and it caused me no end of trouble down the road. You can also take some measurements now, and check -- is it side to side the same front to back -- are there places with larger bow than others. A simple plumb bob (or string with nut on end) will help with the amount of curve. I think if I had done this first, I could have made a better brace for the walls, made the ceiling the right height and avoid all my door trouble. While you are doing electrical, think about where everything is going. Usage will help put things in the right place the first time. Don't forget about future changes (more electrical needs, place for porta potty when you don't want to go outside at night, ice chest, etc.) I jumped in to fast and didn't think everything through at first. Now I am doing it a second time. Although I am better at some things now, so not all is lost.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
That is kind of the way mine started. What I found is that it had sagged a little even over a short time. You might want to check to see how your door fits now. If there are any issues with it, try jacking the roof up a little at a time and see if you can get it back into proper place. I didn't and it caused me no end of trouble down the road. You can also take some measurements now, and check -- is it side to side the same front to back -- are there places with larger bow than others. A simple plumb bob (or string with nut on end) will help with the amount of curve. I think if I had done this first, I could have made a better brace for the walls, made the ceiling the right height and avoid all my door trouble. While you are doing electrical, think about where everything is going. Usage will help put things in the right place the first time. Don't forget about future changes (more electrical needs, place for porta potty when you don't want to go outside at night, ice chest, etc.) I jumped in to fast and didn't think everything through at first. Now I am doing it a second time. Although I am better at some things now, so not all is lost.
Thanks Eric, useful info. Do you, or anyone else, know what the proper measurements for the unit are?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

British Columbia
Finally started.....

Been a while since I posted. Winter months seemed to suck up all my time and home renos didnt help either. Anyways, with the camping season coming soon the incentive to get going on this project is higher than ever!

So, day 1 and I was able to get the shell off the frame quite quickly. I was happy to see that the frame is solid and square, with no structural issues. Unfortunately it has a lot of surface rust, which means a lot of sanding and grinding.... maybe I'll spring for a sand blasting job... might be easier.

These photos are after a couple of days of cloth, resin and filler. Nearly ready to start sanding, though still some work to do on the front and underside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0161.JPG   IMG_0158.JPG  

IMG_0159.JPG   IMG_0163.JPG  

IMG_0160.JPG   IMG_0162.JPG  

IMG_0157.JPG  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #5

British Columbia
Follow-up question....

One of the first things I want to do once it is painted and back on the frame is to make some structural supports out of wood.

I'm trying to keep the inside as open concept as possible to make space for sleeping but am wondering if anyone has any bright ideas on how to do this?
Old 04-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Now would be a good time to reinforce the frame in the known problem areas to avoid any future problems.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
Now would be a good time to reinforce the frame in the known problem areas to avoid any future problems.
The frame is fine. It’s the fibreglass shell I want to reinforce/ support on the inside.

Tags
boler