Recommendation for a trailer to tow- 2019 Sabaru - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #41

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasitaMiner View Post
The CVT transmissions used in late model Subaru's will not fare well towing.

Could we see the data?

I have a 2014 Subaru Outback, 2.5i with the CVT transmission, with 80K+ miles on it and have been towing a 2008 Little Joe which grosses ready to travel at 1760 lbs(certified scale). I had a trans fluid sample pulled and sent to a lab at 60K+ miles. Report came back that he fluid was like new; no significant breakdown, no metal, etc.

We travel to the Smokies every summer and last year drove though the coal country from Virginia into Kentucky. So, though not the Rockies, we have had our share of mountain driving.

Quick note: CVT transmission are used on heavy duty equipment these days, actually for some time.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: Currently Shopping
AB
Have a look at Prolite trailers https://www.roulotteprolite.ca/?lang=en (made in Canada). We tow the Plus S with our 2018 Subaru Outback and love it. It has a shower and toilet (cassette). Just 1590 lbs and 165 lbs tongue weight dry, it tows beautifully
rocksea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #43

Name: Roland
Trailer: 1975 Carfree
British Columbia
so we are seniors and have a kamparoo weekender from australia sold in canada and i'm sure available in the us as well. it has minimal amenities but we have a porta potti for the little lady. it has a queen size bed and a pull out drawer on the side with a sink. it has a 30 liter water reservoir and an manual pump. lots of storage under the bed. it's a unique version of a tent trailer and works for us quite well. we've spend several weeks camping in forestry campsites with no hook up or water but have to stay somewhere with shower facilities to clean up every few days. they are light, 400 to 700 lbs depending if you carry a boat or atv on top. works for us. check out kamparoos on the web.
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #44

Name: Babs
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Isn’t this the same transmission that is in the new Subaru Ascent? The Ascent has gotten high marks in towing tests since it came out BUT it does have some caveats about speed going uphill due to transmission concerns. It should be fairly easy to find that info on the Internet since it is current, and if the transmission is like the Outback’s, it may apply.
Rockytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #45

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytop View Post
Isn’t this the same transmission that is in the new Subaru Ascent? The Ascent has gotten high marks in towing tests since it came out BUT it does have some caveats about speed going uphill due to transmission concerns. It should be fairly easy to find that info on the Internet since it is current, and if the transmission is like the Outback’s, it may apply.
Really great feedback. Thank you!
DKPendleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #46

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Could we see the data?

I have a 2014 Subaru Outback, 2.5i with the CVT transmission, with 80K+ miles on it and have been towing a 2008 Little Joe which grosses ready to travel at 1760 lbs(certified scale). I had a trans fluid sample pulled and sent to a lab at 60K+ miles. Report came back that he fluid was like new; no significant breakdown, no metal, etc.

We travel to the Smokies every summer and last year drove though the coal country from Virginia into Kentucky. So, though not the Rockies, we have had our share of mountain driving.

Quick note: CVT transmission are used on heavy duty equipment these days, actually for some time.
Very informative! Thank you!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #47

Name: aaron
Trailer: in the market for Trillium
Ontario
Kathleen. You have described us to a 'T'. Subaru, 75, and looking for FG with toilet. Very pleased to follow this thread, its advice, and your results. PnA in Toronto. Canada.
fentona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #48

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by fentona View Post
Kathleen. You have described us to a 'T'. Subaru, 75, and looking for FG with toilet. Very pleased to follow this thread, its advice, and your results. PnA in Toronto. Canada.
Fentona (Aaron) Please let me know what you decide/consider doing. There is quite a bit to consider. I plan to discuss it with the dealer, but currently from the info gleaned in this really informative thread, the best weight and cost fit for us with a bathroom may be a "Little Joe Ponderosa". I like the concept of the Happier Camper but after add ons the price would be prohibitive. We would considering modifying the Happier Camper ourselves with everything but the bathroom, but having not yet seen how the components actually anchor to the floor, I can't determine if it would be feasible for us. We are in the exploration mode only and in absolutely no rush to make a decision. Blessings!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #49

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The “bathroom” on the Ponderosa is a set-up and take-down affair that sits right in the rear doorway. The Scamp bath is a separate space with a proper privacy door that allows full use of the rest of the trailer, entering and exiting, while the bathroom is in use.

All that and it weighs just a little more than the Ponderosa with a lot more living space. Lots of folks are towing Scamp 13’s with an Outback. It would be a no-brainer for me.

If you just want a simple, basic trailer without a bath, then the Little Joe (no bath version of the Ponderosa) is a solid choice. The narrow profile makes for easier towing, and the longways bed makes for easier sleeping. But the Ponderosa bath model just asks too much of the small space... my opinion, of course!

Do get a first-hand look at both and reach your own conclusions.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco