1986 U-Haul C13 or 1972 Boler Americana? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-10-2019, 02:07 AM   #1

Name: AJ
Trailer: Casita
California
1986 U-Haul C13 or 1972 Boler Americana?

Hello new to the site, I currently have the opportunity to purchase either an u-haul c13 1986 or a Boler 1972 Americana; both need a little work: mainly cleanup exterior, upgrade electrical, no leaks on either, no dents, no issues with the frame, no rust and floors are solid on both, etc..

I am just curious to know is one more desirable than the other and/or is one of the two given other owners problems with parts, etc.. I know the u-haul is a bit more rare, not sure if that is a good or bad thing with part replacements. Not sure which one I am going to purchase, but need to decide sooner than later. Any information and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WCY
WolfcriedYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The correct designation for the Uhaul is CT13 (Camper Trailer). They have or had several possible problems which may or may not have been taken care of over the years. Rust through in the tube parts of the frame would be the worst problem. Other possible issues: body to frame bolts rusted away, side windows leak, power converter and electrical system outdated, cracked tail light lenses, deteriorated wiring, rotted wood floor, obsolete parts that are no longer in production (Bargman L300 door latch for one). However all these things can be fixed and there are work arounds for the obsolete parts. Some or all of any issues may have already been taken care of by previous owners. There is a large Uhaul Facebook group that has lots of good info and support. The Uhauls did not have brakes and require axle replacement to add electric brakes. Or update with surge brakes using Uhaul parts that are available.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Its a toss up value wise. The old Bolers have a strong following and some go for quite a bit of $$. IMHO, the UHaul is better built. Frames on those old Bolers were not very good. If condition was comparable, I'd go with the UHaul.

I would not base the purchase on rarity.

If the Boler has original frame and axle, I would include replacement in my budget. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, u-haul