Airstream Nest - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Airstream Nest

https://apple.news/A9HVm6JjcSk-g665b1vAmVQ
New article about the Nest and general RV market health from the travel section of Apple news.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I read that article a few hours ago. Surprised me that it didn't mention that Robert Johans designed the Nest. The article instead mentions Bryan Thompson.

"Most of this is attributable to one man, an industrial designer named Bryan Thompson who mocked up the Nest and spent the next 15 years persuading Airstream to build it."
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Name: J
Isle of Wight
"... There is nothing else like it on the market, save for a few craft vehicles assembled by startups at preciously low volumes"

Huh?
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Yep, I had the same reaction.
Enjoy your “craft vehicle”
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That’s so out of touch with reality it would be funny if people weren’t reading and believing it.

Did it really say “preciously” or “precariously” small volumes?

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #6

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
This statement caught my eye, too: "Thor hasn’t avoided the fallout entirely. Company shares have shed almost two-thirds of their value since they peaked in January 2018. Some of Thor’s factories have scaled back to a four-day work week." I hope my retirement pension fund doesn't include shares in Thor!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you have the total US market index, then sure, you have Thor shares. But that index is market weighted, so Thor could go to zero and you wouldn't see an impact.

Idiot that wrote that article should be ashamed of himself. Very little facts in the entire article.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
If you have the total US market index, then sure, you have Thor shares. But that index is market weighted, so Thor could go to zero and you wouldn't see an impact. Idiot that wrote that article should be ashamed of himself. Very little facts in the entire article.
Who said anything about an "index?" I was speaking strictly about Thor, and, simply metaphorically, at that. But I do agree with your assessment of the article. In the current vernacular, it contained numerous "alternative facts." My biggest disappointment is that Thor decided to simply mounted the cabin to a more-or-less typical metal frame - totally getting away from Robert's original innovative structural design where the fiberglass cabin doubled as the frame. Other than having some cash in his pockets now to bankroll his next project (hopefully), Robert can't be all that happy with the way this turned out. (Any comments, Robert?)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Robert can't be all that happy with the way this turned out. (Any comments, Robert?)

I suspect no comments, as per a purchase agreement that he probably had to sign.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Publisher of that article linked is Skift.
Urban Dictionary definition of the word:
skift
The act of rubbing a finger that has recently been in an unsavoury place(such as a sweaty bum crack/between your toes/in your belly button)accross the filtrum(under the nose)of someone, leaving them with a pooey whiff every time they breath in.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Publisher of that article linked is Skift.
Urban Dictionary definition of the word:
skift
The act of rubbing a finger that has recently been in an unsavoury place(such as a sweaty bum crack/between your toes/in your belly button)accross the filtrum(under the nose)of someone, leaving them with a pooey whiff every time they breath in.
Just read your post while having dinner Thanx!!
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I was in western Montana today. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a pickup towing a horse trailer back about a quarter of a mile. He was in the passing lane and gaining on me right along. I was hoping when he passed me he’d have a couple nice horses in his trailer. Maybe even a couple Appaloosas,I hoped. Imagine my surprise when it was an Airstream nest! First one I had seen and a very nice looking horse trailer errr I mean camper. Nearly 1700 miles in three days, I’ve seen an Escape 15 and 17, three casitas , two Scamps and the Nest.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #13

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Too bad you missed my Bigfoot! Funny about the nest.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There’s a lot of roads between Iowa and Idaho and I’ve traveled a lot of them but I’ll never get them all. The scenic byway between Paradise and Plains Montana was new to me yesterday and it’s a beauty.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream nest, nest, parkliner