Install queen size bed lengthwise in 16' Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Nomad
Texas
Install queen size bed lengthwise in 16' Casita

Is it possible to install a queen size bed lengthwise in a gutted 16' 1984 Casita?
alangranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Sure you can, but you will have a hard time getting around the sides and will lose a lot of space.
The cabin area is approximately 13 feet long and 6 and 1/2 feet wide
The wheel wells will be in the way of getting around the sides.
We took a queen foam mattress and cut it in two and made twin beds with an aisle down the middle.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Start with Casita Liberty 16 floorplan and go from there.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The cabinets and bulkheads in the trailer provide necessary support to keep the shell from flexing.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangranger View Post
Is it possible to install a queen size bed lengthwise in a gutted 16' 1984 Casita?
most things are possible and have already been done. How sensible is it in terms of design and engineering is another issue. Think it through.

Is there going to be enough structural support?

Is it going to be a lot more difficult to get in and out of the bed?
Will the change create a big hassle when it comes to changing bedding?
Is it going to be an issue to get out of bed to use the bathroom?
Are you sacrificing cabinet space that you need by changing the layout? Does it require modifying cabinetry?
Does it involve reworking wall coverings?
Does it involve moving electrical or plumbing?

You will have to answer such questions to know if the results are truly worth the change in layout.
People can give you lots of different advice but what really matters is does that change make sense in your own use and for your own physical ability.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I have a gutted '16 (1984) as well and I am considering the same thing. It does sacrifice some space, I believe getting out of bed will be similar to a Bigfoot with the rear corner bed and the bath beside it, which I don't see as an issue plus the wife won't have to crawl over me which she doesn't like in our current Boler. I am considering a build with the queen over to the street side and using the other side for storage cabinets with a small amount of egress in between for making up the bed, or centered with no egress and storage cabinets on both sides. With this build I will be fiber-glassing wood tabs extensively through out the inside of the shell for the attachment of the cabinets and structural supports and eliminate all possible rivet/screw holes.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I am also planning to raise the top half of the body about 6-10" and add glass in the middle to provide more headroom and extra large upper cabinet storage so I will be reconstructing the door. I am also considering glassing in the door to accommodate a flat door. The main reason for all this is I have hit my head numerous time on my Boler and hard enough at times I believe it may be a contributing factor to a herniated disc in my neck. Very painful when it came on, pain is gone now but I am very aware of it and dry to make sure I don't hit my head at all.

Tags
casita