2006 Casita - needs stove top - questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
2006 Casita - needs stove top - questions

My wife and I bought a used casita and the previous owners took the cook top out and didn't keep it. Casita no longer sells a cook top that fits. I would like to put a cook top back in even though we may not use it much.

I've been looking around online and dometic sells a nice stainless model that is recessed and has a flush with the counter glass lid. I like it but can't seem to find it anywhere but on dometics products page.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that dometic model will fit (might be too deep). I still have to measure the hole and depth available. Most of the replacements I've found at rv type stores look like cheapo quality - at least from the pictures.

I would welcome any suggestion or ideas for finding a nice replacement. This should be an easy project once I find a suitable part.
John_M_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
On eBay, look up "SMEV propane cooktop", see if that will work for you. A few members in my Uhaul camper group have installed them, and really like it.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Check in at the Casita Forum and see what they have to say. Good place to go for technical advice Casita-related.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_1 View Post
My wife and I bought a used casita and the previous owners took the cook top out and didn't keep it. Casita no longer sells a cook top that fits. I would like to put a cook top back in even though we may not use it much.

I've been looking around online and dometic sells a nice stainless model that is recessed and has a flush with the counter glass lid. I like it but can't seem to find it anywhere but on dometics products page.

Anyhow, I'm not sure that dometic model will fit (might be too deep). I still have to measure the hole and depth available. Most of the replacements I've found at rv type stores look like cheapo quality - at least from the pictures.

I would welcome any suggestion or ideas for finding a nice replacement. This should be an easy project once I find a suitable part.
Google used RV parts. There are several stores that sell used parts that have been taken out of wrecked or junked RV's. There's one just north of Denver, CO that we've been to and bought stuff. Check at junk yards also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Curious
What is the name & location of the RV place you mentioned near Denver
Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Curious
What is the name & location of the RV place you mentioned near Denver
Thanks in advance
Five Star RV Center 12202 Brighton Rd Henderson, CO 1-800-222-6737 They sell new and used parts and campers.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
On eBay, look up "SMEV propane cooktop", see if that will work for you. A few members in my Uhaul camper group have installed them, and really like it.
Thanks. There was one on ebay yesterday but its got a little damage (bent) and was still very expensive. Good tip. I wasn't aware of SMEV. I was surprised by the price of the new ones, but I guess the stainless and recessed style is worth it.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #8

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Check in at the Casita Forum and see what they have to say. Good place to go for technical advice Casita-related.
Good tip. I wasn't aware of a Casita forum. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Google used RV parts. There are several stores that sell used parts that have been taken out of wrecked or junked RV's. There's one just north of Denver, CO that we've been to and bought stuff. Check at junk yards also.
Thanks. I had already been doing that before posting this but hadn't found much that suited me. I'll keep looking.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
check out Craigslist for someone parting out a tent trailer. They used similar cooktops. I bought a like new Atwood 2 burner for $10 when I rebuilt my Ventura years ago. If the hole size is too big, some people have added a Corian countertop to cover the original hole then cut it to fit the new stovetop and sink.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
check out Craigslist for someone parting out a tent trailer. They used similar cooktops. I bought a like new Atwood 2 burner for $10 when I rebuilt my Ventura years ago. If the hole size is too big, some people have added a Corian countertop to cover the original hole then cut it to fit the new stovetop and sink.
Thanks. Good idea.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #12

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Thumbs up FREEBIE

I upgraded my Casita cooking equipment to induction. My customizer might still have the original propane unit. He might send it to you for free if you are willing to pay the shipping.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #13

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
I would check out this link before I purchase SMEV propane cooktop, there not for everyone or at least not for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ecznz3wfy...In+Cooktop.mp4
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
I upgraded my Casita cooking equipment to induction. My customizer might still have the original propane unit. He might send it to you for free if you are willing to pay the shipping.
Thanks. I might go for that if its the original part and it has the hardware to hold it in. Let me know. Thanks. Right now the camper just has a hole in the counter top. Its a 2006 17' castita sd deluxe and the current stove they sell is too small for the existing hole. I don't want to make a big project out of making something fit.

I want to boondock so I don't think induction is for me. I had hoped to improve things a little with a stainless flush mount with a glass top but a recent post on this thread says those are hard to clean.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

Name: Stephen
Tennessee
Question Maybe not

Mine started out as a 2014 Freedom Delux. So the stove might not fit your unit.

Contact Larry Gamble at Little House Customs and see what he has to say.
larry@littlehousecustoms.com
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #16

Nevada
Registry
The stove top in my 1998 Casita was roached when I bought it. I replaced it with a Suburban/Airxcel model SDN2, 2 burner stove top. The opening in the cabinet was a couple inches larger in both dimensions so I cut an aluminum 1/8” thick plate to make up the difference between the countertop opening and the stove top. It was pretty easy to do with a jig saw. I did not check to see if the 3 burner (SDN3) would have fit directly. I think the stove top was under $100 new. I wanted a ignitor, but every stove top I could find was far more expensive with that feature. I added an external ignitor and electrodes/wires I bought from Amazon for under $20. Very simple to install.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #17

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shullj View Post
The stove top in my 1998 Casita was roached when I bought it. I replaced it with a Suburban/Airxcel model SDN2, 2 burner stove top. The opening in the cabinet was a couple inches larger in both dimensions so I cut an aluminum 1/8” thick plate to make up the difference between the countertop opening and the stove top. It was pretty easy to do with a jig saw. I did not check to see if the 3 burner (SDN3) would have fit directly. I think the stove top was under $100 new. I wanted a ignitor, but every stove top I could find was far more expensive with that feature. I added an external ignitor and electrodes/wires I bought from Amazon for under $20. Very simple to install.
Thanks, but I don't want another project. I do EVERYTHING myself and I've got 5 other projects underway and I don't have time for another one right now no matter how easy it is. I could easily make something that works to make up the size difference, I just don't want to. I've already thought about it and decided I'd rather spend more money or cut a bigger hole than making a spacer.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #18

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Mine started out as a 2014 Freedom Delux. So the stove might not fit your unit.

Contact Larry Gamble at Little House Customs and see what he has to say.
larry@littlehousecustoms.com
Thanks.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #19

Name: Sheila
Trailer: Casita Spirit 17' Deluxe
Michigan
Gas cook top

Before you do to much shopping you need to measure to see what you need. ;o)
sheilasabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #20

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilasabo View Post
Before you do to much shopping you need to measure to see what you need. ;o)
I do know the cutout size. It is 16.5" (inboard/outboard) x 11.5" (fwd/aft) x 4 to 4.5" (deep).

Tags
casita