Axle change for new Scamp 13s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Axle change for new Scamp 13s

True to their dedication to constant improvement, Scamp is now supplying new Scamp 13s with zero axles and 10" brakes!!!
This will result in a bit more needed ground clearance and better braking.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #3

Name: Vincent
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Hi floyd,

We're picking up a new 13 in June. What's a zero axle, and what difference will it make for ground clearance?
Pdxrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxrain View Post
Hi floyd,

We're picking up a new 13 in June. What's a zero axle, and what difference will it make for ground clearance?
The Scamp13 has been using a 22° up axle angle which resulted in the trailer having low ground clearance and lower clearance for garage doors.
(The 7' clearance has been gone for decades anyway)

A 0° axle has a start angle of 0°.... the trailing arm start angle is level with the ground. The result is a little more ground clearance.

A pure guess is something around 3"+-

This is a good thing since so many Scamp13s now have water pumps and gray water tanks with their associated drains, etc under the trailer.
This means that you will have some more clearance for entering driveways, gas stations or campsites reducing the possibility of damage to the stuff under your trailer.
The difference will be a slight increase in the overall height of the trailer, but not so much as to require a step for entry.
The increase to 10" brakes is also an improvement since 10" brakes are more effective and as a bonus, cheaper to service.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #5

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Just to clarify...

Floyd, it's been a few years since I've been on this forum, but inevitably I need some more advice! Pretty sure I need to replace the original axle on my 1998 Scamp 13' because it no longer takes the bumps very well and appears to be riding lower than normal, are you saying a 0 degree would create enough clearance or is it still popular to purchase the 22 degree? Do you know the specific Dexter axle that would fit the '98 Scamp 13ft?
katidesc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by katidesc13 View Post
Floyd, it's been a few years since I've been on this forum, but inevitably I need some more advice! Pretty sure I need to replace the original axle on my 1998 Scamp 13' because it no longer takes the bumps very well and appears to be riding lower than normal, are you saying a 0 degree would create enough clearance or is it still popular to purchase the 22 degree? Do you know the specific Dexter axle that would fit the '98 Scamp 13ft?
Scamp has now made the 2200 pound, 0° axle standard and it now has 10" brakes.
I just installed one on my 2004 Scamp13D.
Its just the right height for towing and stepping into. I am much more comfortable with the clearance for all the plumbing underneath.
My old axle was still good but I wanted the additional height and better brakes. It is also now a bolt-on. I'm happy with it.

In 1998 some Scamp 13s still had leading arm axles, check yours, then call Jerrod at Scamp.

Here is a photo of mine with the new axle installed...
( the other picture is the same trailer when brand new)
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg axle5.jpg   WB40023.jpg  

Tags
axle, scamp