Catalytic Heaters - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #21

Name: lyle
Trailer: Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Diane, Where to safely mount a cat heater is the main issue to me. If a radiant heater needs something in front of it to warm up and then re-radiate the heat then the issue becomes "what that something could be". I've read that the min clearance in front should be 30 inches. There is roughly 38 inches from the front of the closet in my Trillium to the sink pedestal (plywood and fiberglass). You don't seem to have experienced any adverse effects (what is the space in front of the heater), but you also said that you'd rather have the heater "aimed" down the center isle. For myself, I'm not so sure that I want to put direct heat on anything in the trailer, even a little, for fear of warping something or worse. I may just delay any decision until I get a chance to see some installations and see them in operation.
clyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #22

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Catalytic Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi-task View Post
These are interesting. Has anyone installed one? Wondering how loud they are and if their power consumption is as reported.

I've used the HS2211 (smaller size packaged to mount outside under the trailer) for five nights, the coldest being about 35-40F. Plenty of heating power, maybe a tad more noise than an electric heater but not intrusive at all. Very low electric consumption.

You can read the specs on the propex website. Karl at Westy Ventures was very helpful.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #23

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
this was my solution in my 17ft Burro for the "line of site" issue on the cat heater. I mounted the heater on a lower closet door, put in a swivel and a flex hose and was able to swing the heater to wherever I was. Most of the time (Back to that heating the bathroom glass thing) I never needed it pointed directly at me, but a time or two it was necessary. The central location seemed to work well.
Attached Thumbnails
wave63.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyle View Post
Diane, Where to safely mount a cat heater is the main issue to me. If a radiant heater needs something in front of it to warm up and then re-radiate the heat then the issue becomes "what that something could be". I've read that the min clearance in front should be 30 inches. There is roughly 38 inches from the front of the closet in my Trillium to the sink pedestal (plywood and fiberglass). You don't seem to have experienced any adverse effects (what is the space in front of the heater), but you also said that you'd rather have the heater "aimed" down the center isle. For myself, I'm not so sure that I want to put direct heat on anything in the trailer, even a little, for fear of warping something or worse. I may just delay any decision until I get a chance to see some installations and see them in operation.
Beleive me it does not put out a flame type of heat...mine faces the bunk bed or now a front dinette in my trailer. I am not worried about it melting the fiberglass or the cushions. If you have the small trillium you have the same set up as mine. I am just saying that if I had to do it over again I would use a flexible hose with a quick release connection so I could move it where I wanted it. You can connect to your existing gas line for your furnace as I did. These wave heaters are among the safest on the market, that's why I bought it, and uses little gas and can be used without electricity. It also takes up very little space. Removing my old heater gave me more room to store things, which was invaluable. I like mine but everyone has to make their own choices.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #25

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Gina has a good alternative location, clever install.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #26

Michigan
Registry
An old post, but I like closure. After much, much investigation, advice, $$ and work I decided to keep the Dometic Duo Therm furnace. The perhaps small increase in safety and a not- so small stubborn streak were the deciding factors.
A pic of the newly finished project is attached. A Robershaw 710 Series gas controller was used and a through cleaning and gasket replacement. Seems to work fine, but the outside temp is 85.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Please post the source of your Robershaw 710 Series gas controller.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #28

Michigan
Registry
Dave,

It's ntpdistribution.com

I believe they've been mentioned on this site before. All I can say is that the Series 710 gas controller fit my Duotherm furnace model and it works. I didn't have to get anything else. Maybe a slight bend or so in the pilot gas line or plug up an extraneous opening or two.

Tags
trillium