New Ventura owner trying to get the camper mold free - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
New Ventura owner trying to get the camper mold free

So last fall We bought a Ventura camper i think 1976
previous owners let it sit and it leaked at roof a bit..ok allot for the lower sub floor is mold coated and wood under the fiberglass box in the bench (for a porta potty) was soaked among few other window leaks that i believe are fixed
Anywho upon lifting the wood sub floor i discovered this crack/hole slit? i can open a bit and see the ground..just use Fiberglas mat and resin to fix? and then the spot that had the fiberglass box i yanked out thers a wood board that looks slight fiber glassed in..mold treat and call it good or should i try to remove? sorry if typos or i didn't explain well enough new to all of this~!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5118.jpg   IMG_5115.jpg  

11270232_10152728694937142_2697647721084004653_o.jpg  
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:48 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV but wow, looks like that's going to need an operation with new wood, not a bandage.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Name: joni
Trailer: in the market
Florida
general mold clean up

I am no expert in construction but wood that has been wet for a long period of time usually needs to be replaced. Mold that has grown into wood can not be removed.
Clove Bud oil (essential herbal oil), a half teaspoon, mixed with one pint of water and a squirt of dish soap will remove mold on a non-porous surface and keep your surface mold free. (Egyptians used cloves to keep their mummies free of mold and fungus for hundreds of years)
I am still looking for that perfect egg. Joni
aaxthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #4

Manitoba
Darn I'll have to take other benches out and see if I can remove it somehow lol
Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Bleach and this stuff:
Kanberra Gel Natural Tea Tree Oil Air Purifier Mold Mildew Fungus Bacteria | eBay
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I had to replace the floor under the portaoptty tub on my old Ventura. The floor is laid into the floor of the trailer while the fiberglass was still wet. The Ventura bottom half is a whole fiberglass tub with the floor laid in. My guess is that someone had to replace the wood in the past and actually tore the fiberglass trying to remove the original floor. I would lift that section of floor and clean it up, then grind out the torn fiberglass and patch it with some fresh glass mat and resin. You can make a backing from underneath with some plywood covered with wax paper. Make sure that you feather the edges and get the surface as flat as you can so the new floor sits flat.

I would also check under the fridge and the rear seats as there are areas that can hold alot of water. There may be drain holes but may be plugged.

Pulling the whole floor would be VERY hard as it is attached to the fiberglass . Its the one time you hope that the floor is so rotten that it crumbles. I just replaced the small section under the tub and used a woodrot repair product that was painted on and soaks into the wood then painted the wood with a good floor paint and covered with a floating floor. The floor is just 1/2' exterior sheathing plywood (cheapest plywood available)
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Manitoba
The main floor was easy to lift ! Lol and black with mold yuck!under the fiberglass porta port was a pain to get off but with it being water logged I just scraped and scraped when weather nicer I'll see if I can get those bords off

Doesn't the kitchen counter sit on a pedistool like of fiberglass? Kinda looked like it looking at others gutting them - original fridge is gone it's a open cubby hole ATM
How whoukd I check under back benches ? I can see down in wheel well and looks water free I'm puzzled how the bolted the wood down in the benches think I need to look under see if there's a bolt to undue under the camper
I was told this camper was ready to camp when I bought from a used camper place me being a mother I'm not the most fix savy but in trying ! Lol so if I sound stuipid that explains it and that's also why I want mold gone for my kids safety
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Manitoba
How moldy my floor was .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

Manitoba
As well I so appreciate this site! It's been helping me bumble along trying to get her fixed!!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Yes the fridge does sit on a raised fiberglass area but it is only about 3-4" wide but towards the wall is an open area where water can collect. That area on mine was rotten and had to be replaced. Unfortunatly I didn't take pictures of the repair but my rebuild can be seen here
Also if you have water leaks, I would pull all the windows and reseal them to make sure you stay dry. Its pretty simple and the butyl tape is cheap and available at any rv supply. To remove them, just remove the black plastic strips around the windows and unscrew the frame from the shell. Have someone push them out from the inside while you hold them. Clean the old putty and lay in the new tape and screw back in. The tape will ooze and seal, use a plastic knife to remove the excess. Check the paneling below each window for signs of water damage.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #11

Manitoba
Sounds like I need to gut and restart .. How long did it take you? I need it ready buy July 8th meep!
Your Ventura is Soo awsome!! Going to look at pics agine and start to sort a game plan here

My leak issue is at door the top water is coming in had icy rain today and bleep bleep thing is damp I have no idea how to fix that one suggested to make a overhang with flashing ? Any ideas how I'd rep last the rubber flap ? And the hinge used to have what looks like was canvas could that be a issue that it's missing?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:05 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Ok, take a deep breath(outside the trailer) I took about a month of working on it in the evenings. I had bought the trailer the year before and used it for a year before gutting it. I looked at various wall choices from paneling to the tongue and groove pine that I ended up with.
First you should get it safe for you and your family. Do the floor first and any other water damage. Save the pieces you remove and use them as templates to cut new pieces. If the paneling is in good shape, then a good coat of paint will make a big difference. The cabinetry does come out pretty easy when you look at it. Usually just a few screws.

As for the leak at the door, i would first look at the aluminum door frame at the bottom and see if the welds are cracked. This will allow the water to run into the trailer. If the frame welds are broken, clean them up really well and seal them ( I think I used some epoxy glue. Now when you put the floor back in, find some wood to go under the door frame to wedge the frame back into place and support it. Most people step on the frame going in and out causing it to break.
Next , go inside and close the door, see how much gap between the door and the lip of the frame. Go to a hardware store and get some stick on weather stripping about the size of the gap and install it on the lip all the way around (clean first).

Check the door and window, as the windows leaked and caused the doors to rot from the inside. Use caulking to seal the edges and the window frame and if its as bad as mine, I would seal shut the whole window.

Here is a picture of mine after painting the interior BEFORE gutting it.Fiberglass RV - Dudley's Album: Ventura - Picture so you don't have to do it all at once
Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #13

Manitoba
(breathing tho id still like to smack one i got camper from lol i should get you some pictures my window on door side leaked to a point lower panel was flaking so i cut the flaky part off, the ceiling in the center has a huge water damage spot as well from the roof vent thing, my husband has a mold allergy so i really got my work cut for me for he cant even go in the camper atm, that said sounds like i need to open things up, as well talking to husband whos less handy then me lol even if i cant get all together long as we have new insulation walls and ceiling and a new floor we can lay foam on the dinette floor if i cant get the cabinets remade i do have a bar i can pop up to support the roof,it still be a upgrade from a tent even like that lol
i like your pine but we are trying to make this ventura light lol i think as is she she was 1000 pounds?i plan to remove the water tank for its disgusting least the clear hose is , im hoping to find white panels as well then i dont have to paint ha! lol

ill check the wields on the frame i do have afriend that can wield might be better then a glue, but the top i think is due to the orgial plastic weather stripping? thats gottton old and brittle,,going to go buy some weather stripping tuesday for tomorrows a holiday

im ever so grateful and in debt to you for your pictures advice and time~!!! im hoping to have a warmer day tomrrow so i can pop old floor back in and gut the cabinets the wardrobe half the bouttum is rotted away not shure how its standing lol
Old 05-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
I should say that while I didn't have a great deal of carpentry skills, I was a steel fitter with alot of experience of building with steel. I also had the basic wood working tools such as a table saw, router jigsaw and the basic knowledge of how to use them. I also was not arfaid to find info on how to do things with them.

You are at the stage where you should be looking at your resources and capability before taking it apart too far, there are alot of these small trailers that are torn apart and the owners run out of time and desire before they go back together.

BTW I sold the Ventura last year to a nice couple from northern BC and now have a 17' Casita trailer and yes I have redone some of it as well. These small trailers get under your skin and they become a bit of an sickness.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:20 PM   #15

Manitoba
aw thats sad you sold her~! hope u like your new one more
Ventura was only under 1,500 pounds my husbad fit into lol i do think 3,000 i paid was a slight rip off, hoping with dad i can fix for a grand or less
as well if i get really stuck theres dad he used to be a carpenter~!! im very good at takeing things apart
Old 05-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #16

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I like Oxy-Clean for mold removal. You can even make a paste and let it set on there and soak in. I use it everywhere mold or mildew pops up. Like when someone forgets to squeegee the shower and even on clothes that get icky. Seems safe on every surface I've used it on and no lingering odor!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ventura