Oliver or Escape? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small is beautiful

What's happened to small is beautiful?

An Escape/Oliver and a 4 passenger Ford Truck are longer than a small motorhome (42'), and approaching a small motorhome and tow vehicle in length (50'). (Just a couple more 2 foot extensions to go.)

I suspect the trailer/truck mpgs is approaching the mpgs of a small motorhome particularly when you consider the motorhome can be towing a fuel efficient vehicle for general driving about. (General driving around represents about half the miles driven.)

Without a doubt the motorhome has more luxury, more bed, more ....

It's an interesting fiberglass market direction. Next I expect under trailer storage compartments....Oops I have 5 under floor storage compartments....

Just something to think about.... Oliver and Escape are both nice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
It's an interesting fiberglass market direction. Next I expect under trailer storage compartments...
I'm pretty sure I saw some - as optional equipment - on an Oliver in this forum.

See the last photos in post #40 and post #45 of http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post380656
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #23

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
What's happened to small is beautiful?

An Escape/Oliver and a 4 passenger Ford Truck are longer than a small motorhome (42'), and approaching a small motorhome and tow vehicle in length (50'). (Just a couple more 2 foot extensions to go.)

I suspect the trailer/truck mpgs is approaching the mpgs of a small motorhome particularly when you consider the motorhome can be towing a fuel efficient vehicle for general driving about. (General driving around represents about half the miles driven.)

Without a doubt the motorhome has more luxury, more bed, more ....

It's an interesting fiberglass market direction. Next I expect under trailer storage compartments....Oops I have 5 under floor storage compartments....

Just something to think about.... Oliver and Escape are both nice.
I don't think that anyone is being critical of small fiberglass trailers. But some people like the additional space that the longer trailers provide. Also do not think that once you get to a longer trailer, that you should automatically conclude that a motorhome is the best solution.

I love my Escape, but I do think the Oliver's are very nice looking trailers. However, there is a huge differential in price between the two that would be insurmountable for me, and I doubt that I would ever seriously consider an Oliver. However, I would love to take a look at an Oliver in person if the opportunity ever arose.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
Byron, I sold my Airstream Bambi 16' DWR when I discovered the 17 Oliver Elite. I was able to sell the 2008 AS and buy a lightly used 2008 Oliver all in one month. I have never looked back. Although the AS DWR was way cool, it had so many build and maintenance problems that I could see it would be a ton of work to keep up with. This is my second year owning the Oliver and so far it has only needed minor attention, like light bulbs, and I did replace the TV with a new 19inch Jensen. None of the constant leaks and popped rivets, not to mention the edges of the drawers and cabinets coming off that I had with the AS.

I also feel much better about taking the Oliver off the beaten path to those really cool places that AS's can't go.

I might add that the Oliver is not as wide as the AS and does not need the add on mirrors to see around it. It tows without a fancy hitch better than my AS did with the fancy weight distributing expensive hitch.

I could go on an on why the Oliver is way better than my AS, but I won't.
My reference wasn't because of any of merits either trailer, but simply because of the advertising hype on both AirStream and Oliver web sites. The term Luxury to describe their trailers is used in both cases. Escape doesn't use that term.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
What's happened to small is beautiful? An Escape/Oliver and a 4 passenger Ford Truck are longer than a small motorhome (42'), and approaching a small motorhome and tow vehicle in length (50'). (Just a couple more 2 foot extensions to go.) I suspect the trailer/truck mpgs is approaching the mpgs of a small motorhome particularly when you consider the motorhome can be towing a fuel efficient vehicle for general driving about. (General driving around represents about half the miles driven.) Without a doubt the motorhome has more luxury, more bed, more .... It's an interesting fiberglass market direction. Next I expect under trailer storage compartments....Oops I have 5 under floor storage compartments.... Just something to think about.... Oliver and Escape are both nice.
For me, it would come down to maintenance. I don't want a drivetrain that's going to get used ten times a year at best. I already have a pickup, why pay for another drivetrain that is single purpose and would only get used 5-1ox a year. When I get there, I can unhook and take the pickup wherever. For my uses, driving around wouldn't come to 1/4 of the towing miles.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Of course there is always something one notch better in quality, size, amenities, etc. but in the molded fiberglass world of trailers I think there is no better bang for the buck than a Casita if your in the South/West or a Scamp if your in the North/East. I'm speaking of buying new. A few years ago we went to an RV show in Pomona, CA and noticed there was a 16' or 19' stick built trailer that was reasonably equipped for less than $10. It wasn't the best built rig made and probably wouldn't have a great resale value down the road but for anyone with a modest budget it was a great value. I immediately could see a young family having a great time vacationing in it and not going broke in the process. For many RVers, how good does a trailer have to be using it 2 to 4 weeks out of the year. Throw a tent on the ground or drive a 40' luxury MH, I'm happy for anyone that has fun with it.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Of course there is always something one notch better in quality, size, amenities, etc. but in the molded fiberglass world of trailers I think there is no better bang for the buck than a Casita if your in the South/West or a Scamp if your in the North/East. I'm speaking of buying new. A few years ago we went to an RV show in Pomona, CA and noticed there was a 16' or 19' stick built trailer that was reasonably equipped for less than $10. It wasn't the best built rig made and probably wouldn't have a great resale value down the road but for anyone with a modest budget it was a great value. I immediately could see a young family having a great time vacationing in it and not going broke in the process. For many RVers, how good does a trailer have to be using it 2 to 4 weeks out of the year. Throw a tent on the ground or drive a 40' luxury MH, I'm happy for anyone that has fun with it.
This is so true. There is something for everyone out there, no matter how much or how little you have or want to spend.

I spend about 4 months a year in my Oliver so it is not just used for an occasional week or two. When I was a lot younger a two man tent was just fine. Later, I was OK with sleeping in my truck and getting a motel every third day or so. Now, I may never have to sleep in a motel, which is great. Most nights you can find me in remote, off the grid camps, which is right where I like to be.

Over the years, I have come to appreciate spending a little more to have reliability and less maintenance. I think that most of the fiberglass camping rigs that I have seen are very reliable and have relatively low maintenance. I had a U-Haul for years and kept it out west at a friends place along with an old truck. My family had a ton of fun and made some great memories in the 'Bubble'. In the 6 years that we owned the U-Haul I don't think I ever did anything but replace the battery and put on a new set of tires. It was bullet proof. The Oliver is overbuilt as well. Although it cost a lot more than the U-Haul, I am sure I could sell the Oliver for what I paid for it. In the mean time, I get the use of a really great piece of equipment. I paid $600 for that U-Haul, after 6 years of use, I sold it for $500. It was money well spent.
hellsbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #28

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I'm a hair under 6' 7". Gave the Casita and the Oliver serious thought. They are beauties. We shopped around and even considered (yikes) a 20+foot stick-built because of the 7 foot ceiling height. Escape's interior height is a compelling 6 foot 5 inches. No other egg comes close to beating that. In the end my choice was a no-brainer.
Attached Thumbnails
AZ-1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
eggcamper, 6'7" tall interior
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #30

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Holy cow, Ken. I didn't know that, in fact the brand wasn't even on my radar, so thanks for the heads up. Just looked at their website. Really nice looking egg there.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #31

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Oliver 22 footer, 78"
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #32

Florida
Steve, I see you have a dog named Reacher. Is that from the Reacher series by Lee Child?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #33

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbay View Post
Steve, I see you have a dog named Reacher. Is that from the Reacher series by Lee Child?
It is. Lee Child has long been one of my favorite authors. After our last Doberman, Storm, died of dilated cardiomyopathy, we wanted another. We bought this Doberman in Aiken, SC. After struggling with a name for several weeks, we settled on Reacher. He is 18 weeks old and is weighing in at 43 pounds already. That's a big puppy. He still thinks he's a lap dog.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
It is. Lee Child has long been one of my favorite authors. After our last Doberman, Storm, died of dilated cardiomyopathy, we wanted another. We bought this Doberman in Aiken, SC. After struggling with a name for several weeks, we settled on Reacher. He is 18 weeks old and is weighing in at 43 pounds already. That's a big puppy. He still thinks he's a lap dog.
Cool! I named one of my dogs Newt, from the Pulitzer Prize winning novel, Lonesome Dove. We found Newt after hurricane Andrew when we were living in Miami. Just as in the book, where nobody claimed the boy Newt, our Newt went unclaimed until he found us. He was a great dog and became my constant companion until his death 6 years later.

I found my current dog living in a cave at the base of a sacred indian mountain in the desert of New Mexico. She was about 5 months old and just walked up to me while I was photographing the mountain. She was fat and well fed. I spotted one of her parents hunting in some tall grass nearby, but it was wild like a coyote. Luna has proved to be a great dog and companion as well.

Did you ever hear what the actual dry weight of the 17 Oliver Elite was?

Tags
escape, oliver