Wood stove for 13 foot burro? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burr-ito
Washington
Wood stove for 13 foot burro?

Hi,

I just picked up my first fiberglass trailer, i got a 13' burro. quickly nicknamed the burrito (little donkey)

I am primarily going to be using it as a winter weekend getaway in the mountains at a ski resort. The previous owner had it setup for summer camping with an conditioner.

I was wondering how other folks are heating their 13' fiberglass trailers? I saw online some tiny wood stoves but they still seem too big. like the Sardine from marine stoves (and not to mention, pretty darn expensive). it definately seems too big even at that size.

I guess i wouldn't even know where to put a wood stove with the chimney. anyone out there using a tiny tiny wood stove and can give me some advice?

thanks

pete
not-very-clever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In a word: "Fergetit" Beyond the obvious fire hazard and potential for leaks, hauling wood up, as well as ashes back down, will become a real PITA.

One of the Atwood LP heaters, commonly used in a lot of FGRV's, is called the "Everest Star" for good reason. They have been used to heat tents at Everest base camps and will turn your little burro into an oven in no time flat. Here is a link to the family:

Everest Star 7900 II Series Heating System - Atwood Mobile

These are designed for RV use and are reliable and safe. Yep, you might have to recharge a battery now and then, but you will be as warm as toast in the coldest weather. And you won't have to get up in the middle of the night to relight the stove.

IMHO: Wood Stoves in RV's = A Bad Idea, but that doesn't prevent some from using them.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
I sure wouldn't use a wood stove while asleep, and would want a carbon monoxide detector on board too.

And would be very careful with venting and a proper stove pipe.

But if you just have to have one you might check out one of these:

bpLite • View topic - FATSCO Stoves Wood burnning stoves for boats

There is a link to the stove maker's website at this site.

These little stoves are about the size of a coffee can and were first made in Benton Harbor, Michigan. They were made for warming up milkmen on their routes in horse-drawn wagons.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Ever hear of RMH or just Rocket stoves? I just made one as a prototype and they work great. You can make a Rocket stove that does a reburn of the gases and no smoke. There are alot of vides on YouTube on these and some installed in campers. I say go for it if you have a place for it!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #5

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Here is the top of the line of wood stove very expensive though but it will last a life time and its portable you can use it in you house, shop, boat, and trailer.
Wood Stoves & Beyond |
And then there is this one.
Pipsqueak | Small Cast Iron Stove
And of course a cheep one.
Nu-Way Stoves, Model 965, Wood Burning Stove, Ventilation, Stove Pipe Kit, Ash Pan, Low Pressure Regulator, Deer Blinds, Ice Fishing, Grayling, Indian River, Cheboygan
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/rv-woodstove-57314.html
install video here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
A friend of a friend found out the biggest thing about using wood stoves in a camper for overnight heat is the near guarantee that if you keep the windows closed to keep the heat in --you are likely to wake up very dead the next morning.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I recall staying in a log cabin in northern B.C. one night. I loaded up the air-tight wood stove with green wood before crawling into bed. It was 26 degrees below zero.
Did I mention I too was loaded?
Woke up about 4 am and the air-tight stove was bouncing up and down from the intense heat inside, and out. Must have been 130 degrees in the cabin, but at least it wasn't on fire.
With no mind of the blizzard outside, I opened the cabin door, and went back to bed.
If you want to be warm in a 13' trailer, I highly recommend a wood stove.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
I heated my home for 16 years with wood. One issue with trying to heat a 13 foot camper...the size ratio of wood stove to camper is just not ideal. Sizing a stove to the room it is heating is always critical. BTU output, the amount of fuel that can be loaded into the firebox, rate of burn...you're usually trying to get the right mix that will put out enough heat and still last at least 6 hours, preferably 8, with a full fuel load. Smaller stove for smaller rooms start to get out of the ideal mix pretty quick.

In other words, a stove for a camper would have to be so small that the firebox wouldn't be able to hold enough wood to last long enough to heat through a night.

Now...a itty bitty pellet stove...that might work. But it would take battery power to operate. And you'd have to have a CO detector, and good venting, and likely a cold air combustion air source.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Besides the space issue and the fact that fiberglass is very combustible, there's where to put the chimney. You would need to have at least 10 feet of stove pipe strait up. For every bend add 2-3 feet. Without that you will quickly fill the living space with smoke every time you go to put wood in the stove. That is, if you can get it started. The chimney is what makes a wood stove work. Please, cross this one off the list. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #11

New York
Registry
Here is a off the grid pellet stove that does not use any power.
Clarry Pellet Stove, off-the-grid heat, *powerless pellet stove, hunting, wall tents, line shack, ice fishing, out-buildings

And you could always try a charcoal heater like they use on boats. here are some directions on how to make your own.
Make a Simple Solid Fuel Stove For Your Boat

And here is one more small boat wood /coal stove.
ShipMate Stove Company Inc. - your source for classic solid fuel boat stoves, heaters and sinks.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I recall staying in a log cabin in northern B.C. one night. I loaded up the air-tight wood stove with green wood before crawling into bed. It was 26 degrees below zero.
Did I mention I too was loaded?
Woke up about 4 am and the air-tight stove was bouncing up and down from the intense heat inside, and out. Must have been 130 degrees in the cabin, but at least it wasn't on fire.
With no mind of the blizzard outside, I opened the cabin door, and went back to bed.
If you want to be warm in a 13' trailer, I highly recommend a wood stove.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmmm Over 150 degrees inside/outside temp spread in a cabin with a wood stove. I think you should contact Guiness (?) and get that listed as a record.

Seriously, you pointed out several reasons to not have a wood stove in an RV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #13

New York
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!joFCfd+lDwkBQsetVqLHQ~~60_12.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	66691
Here is a small charcoal stove.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #14

New York
Registry
Here is a video on installing a Kimberly wood stove in a RV. It can and has been done very successfully.

Here is another video of the Kimberly being used in a RV.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Regarding the Pellet Stove mentioned in a recent post, here is what the manufacturer has to say about using them in campers:

And now, the newly certified models: The Teton and The Sierra, are available to heat off-the-grid cabins, line shacks, and detached shop structures or out-buildings. The powerless pellet stove is also the perfect solution for an ice fishing house. No Clarry® Stove is to be used in homes, manufactured homes, mobile homes, motor homes or camping trailers.

I think it's probably best to invest in a great sleeping bag for the really cold nights.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Idaho Scamp owner with wood stove
2014 Trip, Day 148
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Idaho Scamp owner with wood stove
2014 Trip, Day 148
I wish I had taken a photo of the stove. It is about the size of a shoe box, has a 3" chimney, and he built a triple wall stove pipe through the roof of the Scamp. It is designed for very small pieces of wood - the samples I saw were about 1/2" thick by 1" - 2" wide & about 1' long.

I have to admit that I'd never put a wood stove in a trailer (and I've heated my house with a wood stove since 1975) but it was a pretty slick installation.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
I think it's probably best to invest in a great sleeping bag for the really cold nights.
And good socks and a warm, comfortable watch cap for the head! Everyone that been a backpacker knows, you want to sleep warm at night... cover your head.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #19

Name: fred
Trailer: Burro, had aliner
Michigan
I just found this thread which was started a few years ago and was wondering what kind of heater you ended up using. I also have a 13 ft burro used only during the winter. I do not want a furnace which requires electricity. I need to use my 12 volts for LED lights. I have used a propane Mr Heat Buddy heater with several issues. The biggest being that it is not vented to the outside and a lot of moisture accumulates. Even tho the burro is far from airtight, I turn the Buddy off when I go to sleep, due to CO concerns. Interior of Burro then gets very cold but no problems because I am in a good sleeping bag. When I wake up, I reach across and light Buddy for a few minutes and things warm up. The problem is that all the moisture created while burning propane the previous evening has frozen on the inside of the burro and particularly on the door seals and latch, making it very difficult and sometimes impossible to open the door. Cant even force open from the inside. There are "gravity" propane heaters on the market which vent outside and have no blower however I have not found one that will easily install onto the burro. What did you ever do to heat your burro? Thanks
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll second post #2, combined with a good solar array and upgraded battery(ies). The whole deal- furnace and solar- would likely still be cheaper, easier to install and seal, and take up less space than a marine-rated wood stove.

Getting up on a really cold morning and restarting a woodstove is work, not vacation! And where are you going to get wood? To burn well, it needs to be split and seasoned... What about burn restrictions? Some places it's not just in towns and cities that burning wood is restricted or banned.

Speaking of which, it's about time to get mine going before the family wakes up...

Posted from my laptop wearing a sweatshirt and cap on a chilly morning.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro