Towing 16' great with Ford Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Towing 16' great with Ford Escape

I bought a 2015 Ford Escape with EcoBoost and the 2.0 liter engine and the tow package. I have a 16 ft Casita spirit with no bathroom that was put on the scales and weighed 1600 lb dry and empty. I now have it loaded with lots of stuff including a few rather heavy things like folding tables and a large gazebo. I don't know what it weighs now but I have absolutely no trouble Towing it. I get an average of 19 miles to the gallon. I have great acceleration on Highway entrance ramps. I have no trouble with the car overheating or the transmission doing anything funny. Sometimes I forget that the camper is there. when I am not Towing I get 29 miles to the gallon. I have been completely and totally satisfied with this vehicle. my instruction manual said that my tow capacity was up to 35 100lb but I don't suppose I am coming close to that. I am very careful to put the heavy things in the front of the trailer. I also have my car quite loaded down with three full coolers Luggage in the back and 4 passengers. Feel free to call me at 317-752-8622 if you would like to talk about it. If you live anywhere near Indiana you could feel free to come to Indianapolis to drive it with my camper hooked up. pay no attention to the naysayers unless you intend to get up close to the 3500 lb limit. Maybe they need to accelerate quickly and are driving up mountains but I do not.

Sent from my Z970 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Completely agree

Indians Lynn, just to add support to your post, we have a 2014 Escape with the same 2.0 Ecoboost and tow package and pull a Scamp 16 that is loaded with all the extras. Our experience is exactly like yours. Plenty of power for acceleration, passing and just cruising down the highway. Almost forget the Scamp is there. Mileage is like yours except when I get to cruising along at 65 or a little more, then it drops a bit. I try to stay at 55-60, and that is where I get the best mileage. I would definetly recommend the Escape as a TV. It actually tows better than the 2010 Ford Edge with the 3.5 V-6 that I had before the Escape.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape