Towing Lil Bigfoot w/o brakes in CA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Towing Lil Bigfoot w/o brakes in CA

I think I accidentally hijacked Joe's thread about towing his Boler. That was unintentional.

I had several responses there, will try to respond here.

The trailer does have new tires. Owners have upgraded everything, including repacking bearings, etc. So I'm not worried about that. Also, the hubby is the best tire person ever, always checks pressure, replaces his own motorcycle tires, has his own air compressor... not worried about tire issues with him around. (Also, he can back up any trailer in figure 8's if necessary... he's daMAN!)

I understand that the 7 prong plug from the trailer connected via an adapter to our 4 prong plug on the van will not provide brakes in the trailer. Since the trailer weighs around 1300 pounds, and our van has towed around 1800 tongue-heavy pounds w/o brakes, I'm not too worried about the brake issue, at least not for this one trip home. I just wanted to make sure the brake *lights* would work on the trailer when hooked up to our van with the adapter... pretty sure they will, but just asking!

When we install the factory hitch on the Volvo, it will have the 7 prong plug and everything necessary for proper braking

I like Bob's suggestion about putting a case of bottled water on the front bunk. Since the Bigfoot is likely less tongue heavy than our boat trailer, perhaps we'll put something weighty over the back axle in the van as well? All other advice and suggestions much appreciated!

LP
EllPea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Since the Bigfoot is likely less tongue heavy than our boat trailer, perhaps we'll put something weighty over the back axle in the van as well?
LP
There is no reason you would need to do that.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, brakes