just put a deposit on a bigfoot, mistake? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 11:33 PM   #1

Name: gucho
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
just put a deposit on a bigfoot, mistake?

Hello guys, long time browser first time poster.
I have just put a deposit on a 1985 bigfoot, they dont come up often around these parts so I think they charged a premium for it.
Inside the unit looks pristine, cant smell or notice anything wrong, the ceiling from the inside looks great, HOWEVER when I got a stool out to look at the roof from the outside it looked like it was not smooth, looked it was sagging in areas but again on the inside it was not noticeable.

Is this a huge issue or liveable? common for the age? its a 17 footer

Thanks for the heads up!
gucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:22 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
no pic?....no link to the ad???

that would have helped.....you don't mention price.....real hard to comment....

having said that, if you don't buy it somebody else will...

BFs out west sell for a premium...don't make sense as they are made here but that is the reality...go figure?

there are three distinct "series" of BFs.....the 17 up unitll 1986 or thereabouts was offered with many options/levels of trim but only one floor plan.....then in 1986 production changed to a stadardized list of equipment and the 17 was branded as a "1500 series" (same molds) two different floor plans.....sometime around 2005 after bankcrupcy the third "edition" is the 2500 series "17.5"(different molds) three different ploor plans... quite a different trailer with way more amenities and weight... not to mention price......

great trailers all in my book....I paid too much for mine (you find that out after you buy it and start digging into it)...but I'm going to own this thing for a LONG time so it don't matter...it won't leak and I can go up on the roof and dance a jig up there.............just my take
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
that would have helped.....you don't mention price.....real hard to comment....

having said that, if you don't buy it somebody else will...

BFs out west sell for a premium...don't make sense as they are made here but that is the reality...go figure?

there are three distinct "series" of BFs.....the 17 up unitll 1986 or thereabouts was offered with many options/levels of trim but only one floor plan.....then in 1986 production changed to a stadardized list of equipment and the 17 was branded as a "1500 series" (same molds) two different floor plans.....sometime around 2005 after bankcrupcy the third "edition" is the 2500 series "17.5"(different molds) three different ploor plans... quite a different trailer with way more amenities and weight... not to mention price......

great trailers all in my book....I paid too much for mine (you find that out after you buy it and start digging into it)...but I'm going to own this thing for a LONG time so it don't matter...it won't leak and I can go up on the roof and dance a jig up there.............just my take
its got the full bathroom. i didnt take any pictures and the ad is already down because its tentatively sold. Inside smelled very clean not musty nor mildewy, checked cabinet doors for blown out tape edge banding and it looked good throughout. got it for 5K. We plan on having it for a long time at that price.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
well geez....I guess....

5K ??? you kidding??? "star the car!...start the car!" comes to mind....

the pre 86 models might have been built with a little less fiberglass in the roof...I dunno for sure.... but I have seen the "wavy roof" condition you mention on some earlier models....don't mean too much really

here's a question for you.....the front rockguard...the supports for it are on the outside of the rockguard or the inside (hidden from view when closed)....
Old 08-01-2015, 01:01 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
anyway.....5K is a steal...

going to bed....talk to you later....click on the "registry" link below my name to look at mine...a 97 CB......jump on it...can't go wrong at that price
Old 08-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
$5,000 doesn't seem like a bad price at all for a BF of that age in good condition. We have an '87 and paid a bit more (US) for it about 3-4 years ago. When you look at our roof you can see a bit of "wave" to it but we've had absolutely no issues with it - the roof, that is.

We have had a few other things to fix but nothing that makes us regret buying the trailer. One issue you might look out for is the kitchen counter pulling away from the inside wall. A gap was opening up there on ours and we had to pull the stove out and beef up the attachments between the kitchen counter and the wall. Saw this on another BF here on the forums so I knew what to look for.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My 94 has some wave in it but its never changed in the 3 years I've had it. Not pretty, but not a problem. When checking for leaks don't forget to check inside the cabinets.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #8

British Columbia
I went through the cabinets to see if there were any signs of leaking and saw nothing.

As for the rockguard, I cat recall what support was where. I didnt see any sort of rock guard. What does it all mean?

Im going back today and I will look behind the kitchen cabinet and anything else I can imagine
Old 08-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
and remamember....

Jack and Evergreen.....that's 5K CD.....so that's like 4K or less(?) in yankee bucks!!!

might just be that the seller had this thing in the yard/family for a LONG time...with little or no use lately and decided he "wanted it gone" one day

couldn't have spent a lot of time researching the market... seems to me anyway
Attached Thumbnails
spnew.jpg   roof.jpg  

Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

British Columbia
Franswa, i tried to follow your registry but didnt know what you meant.
I also just found pics for the unit but nothing of the roof. How do we post them with out getting onto a website?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #11

Washington
Actually 5K US is a good price but not as good as 5K Canadian.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #12

British Columbia
You guys are getting rid of the hesitation for me, so I guess the roofs have not been an issue as I have built them to be in my mind.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #13

Washington
Photos would help but I think you could resell this unit easily and possibly make a few dollars if you didn't like it.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Of course, check it out thoroughly, but 5K sounds like a VERY good deal on this BF.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

British Columbia
can anybody elaborate on the rock guard comment from before? thanks!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The roof isn't likely an issue, my 1991 roof is not perfect but fine.
5K is not a bad price, I paid 8500.00 four years ago for my trailer but everything was like new inside it just needed a good polishing outside.

Anytime I park people that don't know much about fiberglass trailers think it's new.

The real cost comes with upgrading things or replacing things.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucho View Post
can anybody elaborate on the rock guard comment from before? thanks!

The front cover that closes over the window is called a rock guard, early units had the supports on the outside later units have the supports inside the cover.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Pictures would help. Just click on the second item from the right on top of the Quick Reply screen.
That said, from your description I think you got a great deal.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #19

British Columbia
Rock guard brackets are on the outside I believe. But what does that mean?
PS> i dont have an account to upload pics from.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucho View Post
Rock guard brackets are on the outside I believe. But what does that mean?
PS> i dont have an account to upload pics from.
You can upload pics directly from your computer to a post. See post #7 here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ics-43021.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot